Line of goo on bathroom wall... any ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    INGO is my go too place for home repair issues. This one is confusing me. In our master bathroom we have noticed some drips on the walls in the toilet room. Circumferential, every wall, starts at this same height. It’s a little sticky. Anyone see this before? The attic is above the bathroom. Nothing on the opposite side of same wall, only side that faces bathroom

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    No, really. I looked it up, some sort of surfactant leeching. Can be from smoking or drywall/wallpaper glue, or paint.

the line is even with the door height to our bathroom. My wife takes insanely hot showers and baths. I think we just need to run that fan in addition to main fan in bathroom during showers/baths

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You need to work on your aim there Doc.

I had a similar problem in my old house, and my educated guess was that it was heat related, with warm air making something in the paint sweat out and drip. I can remember the brand of paint I used. It wasn't top of the line, but not the cheapest either. It was a name brand IIRC.

The most noticable signs were on walls in the den which is the room that had a gas fireplace. But it was an old house with no AC, so drips would sometimes appear in other places when it was exceptionally warm. I just assumed the hot air from the fireplace would rise, warm the paint and cause the drips. Mine weren't quite as prominent as yours, but more of a general wetness, and not overly sticky. It never did seem to effect or reduce paint coloration.

Is there are shower in this bathroom? My guess would be that the line you're seeing is the bottom level from steam gathering when someone takes a shower.

ETA: I see you posted an update about the shower while I was writing my post

You could also lower the max temp of the hot water heater and not tell your wife about it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, really. I looked it up, some sort of surfactant leeching. Can be from smoking or drywall/wallpaper glue, or paint.

the line is even with the door height to our bathroom. My wife takes insanely hot showers and baths. I think we just need to run that fan in addition to main fan in bathroom during showers/baths

That's the answer.

Hot, moist air is hovering there at the top and steaming the walls.

You could also lower the max temp of the hot water heater and not tell your wife about it.
    thumb_thats-a-bold-strategy-cotton-lets-seeif-it-pays-off-2908447.png

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Had the same thing for the same reason, humidity caused by shower. Replaced the inadequate exhaust fan with one that made it difficult to open the bathroom door when it was running; problem solved. Gonna have to do the same thing to the house we're in now as well.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Like others have said it is the accumulation of warm moist air. It is at the level of the door frame because, being warm air, it fills from the ceiling down but able to vent out of even a closed door. The entire room may be steamy but there will be significantly less heat and moisture just below the first break in the seal for the room (door frame).

Now, that being said, it doesn't account for why your half bath has the same problem. If there is only a toilet and sink in the room and you are getting this effect you may want to see a gastroenterologist. I've had college roomates that could peel paint in bathrooms.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    INGO is my go too place for home repair issues. This one is confusing me. In our master bathroom we have noticed some drips on the walls in the toilet room. Circumferential, every wall, starts at this same height. It’s a little sticky. Anyone see this before? The attic is above the bathroom. Nothing on the opposite side of same wall, only side that faces bathroom

“It came full circle”.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The title of this topic ranks among the all time greats such as "I Was Cock Blocked by Jesus!" (on a different forum)

Top Bottom