• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    New 2019 Kia Sorento SUV and its doing the weirdest thing.

While parked in the garage with nobody inside, keys are on the hook in the house it occasionally makes a weird electric motor sound that sounds kinda like a CD player sucking a disk into the mechanism. Lasts about 2 seconds.

Any ideas what it would be? It hasnt been driven for hours and is just sitting there off. I've heard it several times while I'm working next to it in the garage.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    giphy.gif

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is it outside the car, toward the rear? On some newer vehicles the emissions control stuff can kick on to deal with fuel evap, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is it outside the car, toward the rear? On some newer vehicles the emissions control stuff can kick on to deal with fuel evap, etc.

Maybe. Its so fast you cant tell. Early on it sounded like more of a hiss or spray. Like one of those automatic air fresheners. The last couple times it was more of a mechanical sound.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It happening hours after it's been driven is weird...

But I know that there's some magical HVAC louver/splitter maneuvering that goes on in newer vehicles. I know that if I sit in one of our work Caravans for a few mins after the key is off - I'll hear an electrical whirring sound inside the dash as something opens/closes therein.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I'll be working quietly on something out in the garage at 8, and it hadnt been driven since probably 3 or 4. Or earlier.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I wonder how many different kinds of proximity stuff your vehicle may have? Many cameras and parking sensors now. I wonder if some of that stuff isn't somehow tied in to the HVAC maneuvering I mentioned and/or something else that'd make the sound? Like someone mentioned above - like the fuel evap stuff / pressure release / venting....or prepping it for what the vehicle thinks is someone nearby who's going to use the vehicle.

Who knows. I'm a dunce. :-D

ETA: Wait. Does your vehicle have auto-leveling suspension, by chance? Also edit: I bet it's a self evap test.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No, base model, no leveling. I’m guessing evap too as it is outside, and possibly toward the rear. I know it’s not in the engine bay.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep. I'll be working quietly on something out in the garage at 8, and it hadnt been driven since probably 3 or 4. Or earlier.

My wife's new Subaru does it hours after last run, and it is documented in the user manual that it is the emissions evap system so not unusual.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I just want you to know, Camermonkey, that due to my remembrance of this thread, I wasn't entirely freaked out when my Camry was making strange whirring/buzzing noises the other evening.

Actually I was a lot freaked out at first, and then this thread came to mind.

So... Thanks!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom