• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I looks like someone said something when they saw something..."a school resource officer at Muncie Central High was told Wednesday..." This could have saved many, many lives.

Guns are not the problem, our society obviously is the issue. If guns were the issue, then back in the 40's, 50's and 60's when you could by all sorts of guns at the local pharmacy, hardware or even grocery stores.....with no background check even.....mass shootings should have been happening several times a day every single day. Guns were everywhere. People even left them in the back window of their trucks in public view. Yet, mass shootings were far more rare in the past even accounting for population changes.

Only as we have lost respect for others and lost self discipline has our society seen these frequent tragedies.

Link below...

https://www.wowo.com/student-with-gun-stopped-outside-indiana-high-school/

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    When I was in high school (graduated Key West High School, 1977) I was on the school shooting team. One of our team members had a some type of semi auto 22 for sale that I wanted to see. He brought it to school on the bus, I checked it out at his locker during one of the breaks and took it home on my bus. Not a single person thru the whole interaction even gave us a second look.

Nowadays a child can be suspended for chewing their pop tart into a gun shape. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/student-suspended-for-pop-tart-gun_n_2903500

Sorry about the huffpo cite, it was the first one to pop up.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    First recorded school shooting in the states was back in the 1800s. It's hardly a 'new' problem.

I do believe it's an issue with society. Less emphasis on th value of life. Plus with the glory and fame that comes with being on the news 24/7 for a week.

Also it's odd we are hearing less about the pedo ring with all this shooting coverage.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    First recorded school shooting in the states was back in the 1800s. It's hardly a 'new' problem.

I do believe it's an issue with society. Less emphasis on th value of life. Plus with the glory and fame that comes with being on the news 24/7 for a week.

Also it's odd we are hearing less about the pedo ring with all this shooting coverage.

You're right, people (not all) don't value life anymore.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    What is it with these idiots? They can’t all be mental cases. They gotta be hate filled almost sub-human beings that are an insult to humanity. I just can’t stomach these cretins! Peace. Out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What is it with these idiots? They can’t all be mental cases. They gotta be hate filled almost sub-human beings that are an insult to humanity. I just can’t stomach these cretins! Peace. Out.

Unfortunately (probably with the exception of Texas) nobody has the stomach to take them out of society permanently... and I don't mean a life sentence. If I were king, they'd get one appeal. They'd have 2 weeks to present it. After that, if the appeal fails, straight to the gallows. And yes I literally mean gallows... on the most public square available, so anyone wishing to emulate their actions gets to see what "hung from the neck until dead" actually looks like. Live stream it if necessary.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately (probably with the exception of Texas) nobody has the stomach to take them out of society permanently... and I don't mean a life sentence. If I were king, they'd get one appeal. They'd have 2 weeks to present it. After that, if the appeal fails, straight to the gallows. And yes I literally mean gallows... on the most public square available, so anyone wishing to emulate their actions gets to see what "hung from the neck until dead" actually looks like. Live stream it if necessary.

How would that help? Clearly death is no deterrent in these cases.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

There is death, and there is "death". Pretty easy to pump bullets into another person (apparently) and just watch them fall. I mean it's just like on the video screen, right? Might provide a different perspective to think you could be the one hanging from the end of the rope, flailing about, until your tongue swells up and chokes you to death. Unless of course you get lucky and your neck snaps on the drop.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There is death, and there is "death". Pretty easy to pump bullets into another person (apparently) and just watch them fall. I mean it's just like on the video screen, right? Might provide a different perspective to think you could be the one hanging from the end of the rope, flailing about, until your tongue swells up and chokes you to death. Unless of course you get lucky and your neck snaps on the drop.

I'm still not sure I follow, they go into it knowing they'll be shot dead, you think if they believe there's a chance they'll be hung dead instead they wont go through with it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

But you are wrong here. A public death in this manner might be a deterrent but yes....if you spend anytime talking with these Uh.....people (:dunno:) they have no fear of the system. It is a revolving door.

Edit.......I was not in full tune with this thread. I am referring to gang bangers. My mistake.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I'm still not sure I follow, they go into it knowing they'll be shot dead, you think if they believe there's a chance they'll be hung dead instead they wont go through with it?

I can't speak to deterrance, but if they're caught instead of killed, I'd prefer not to feed and house them for the next fifty years. To what purpose; to prove we're civilized? :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I can't speak to deterrance, but if they're caught instead of killed, I'd prefer not to feed and house them for the next fifty years. To what purpose; to prove we're civilized? :dunno:

They go into these places knowing GFZ and they can have their way until resistance arrives. Or gathers at the doors and waits while they have their way.
    Regardless of what some self appointed Psych experts say you will never convince me this is not a stat of mental instability.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Probably a better deterrent would be if the media would never mention their name, and go over their whole life story. Simply call them the criminal that was executed. These dirt bags crave attention. Attention they can’t get in real life. To them it is worth it to kill a bunch of people and then die, knowing their name and grievances will be aired and talked about nation wide.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Probably a better deterrent would be if the media would never mention their name, and go over their whole life story. Simply call them the criminal that was executed. These dirt bags crave attention. Attention they can’t get in real life. To them it is worth it to kill a bunch of people and then die, knowing their name and grievances will be aired and talked about nation wide.

We should stop reporting these things all together.

No public recognition at all. Let the justice system handle it, if the shooter lives. If the shooter dies, give the responding emergency crew an atta boy. Move on with life.

We need to stop giving these nut jobs a world stage.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yes the worry is that to not cover it would be to somehow 'normalize it'. The irony of course is that this very coverage is one of the biggest driving forces behind these shootings.

The same could perhaps even be said for terrorism, if it didn't draw attention the motive would be greatly reduced

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Explain this one to me... Is it even functional? Looks like a jennings or bryco and I can't tell if the firing pin is in it. The firing pin retainer holds the back of the slide down.

76744f6e-a795-4e3a-9a96-6c62928f67dd-SchoolShootercaught15715.JPG

From the link:
    https://www.thestarpress.com/story/...udent-who-had-gun-near-central-hs/1946961001/

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    After that, if the appeal fails, straight to the gallows. And yes I literally mean gallows... on the most public square available, so anyone wishing to emulate their actions gets to see what "hung from the neck until dead" actually looks like. Live stream it if necessary.

Probably not a deterrent for the current individual. The idea is to create a deterrent for future offenders. A public hanging after a really big Last Meal so they are wetting their pants and fill the back with a load of crap is nice and humiliating and might make the next guy rethink his glory quest.

Some part of punishments are meant to punish the offender. Some part of punishments are meant to discourage others. Look at the utter failure of catch and release in Chicago.

I can't speak to deterrance, but if they're caught instead of killed, I'd prefer not to feed and house them for the next fifty years. .

So if it is a wealthy killer and he (or mom and dad) can finance their life sentence we let them live but if it is a poor killer we hang them? The decision of the death penalty should not revolve around finances.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Probably not a deterrent for the current individual. The idea is to create a deterrent for future offenders. A public hanging after a really big Last Meal so they are wetting their pants and fill the back with a load of crap is nice and humiliating and might make the next guy rethink his glory quest.

Some part of punishments are meant to punish the offender. Some part of punishments are meant to discourage others. Look at the utter failure of catch and release in Chicago.

I thought our convos was about mass murderers, I'm not making a claim about deterrent when it comes to regular crimes.

Top Bottom