• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For some time now I have been taking care of some country property. As the years have passed it is becoming more and more apparent that I need a pickup truck to get a lot of stuff done, at least much easier than with a car or always trying to borrow one.

I have decided on three (3) basic requirements:

#1) 4 wheel drive. I want it to be very difficult to get stuck. This is easily accomplished with PU trucks.

#2) Crew cab. When traveling I want to be able to haul friends (ie. helpers) in one vehicle. This is also fairly easy to find. I use cars.com and search.

#3) I want a full sized bed. Heck, maybe even a bigger bed if I can get it.

It is numbers #2 & #3 combined that are a problem in a smaller PU truck. All of the smaller trucks I see that are crew cabs have the beds cut down, sometimes massively. They almost aren't even trucks anymore but big SUV's with open trunks...:rolleyes:

The bigger trucks are going to be more likely out of my price range, at least mostly.

My general question is: does anyone make a smaller crew cab pickup that can actually haul what a regular sized model of that type would be able to do?

From what I have seen with this dilemma for me I am wanting to have my cake and eat it too, but I am hoping someone has a year make model that I can specifically search for, or at least some ideas for hauling people and stuff together.

Thanks for the input,

Doug

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    The least expensive option I can think of would be a Ram 2500 with a hemi. The Cummins would be much more expensive and the gas version is probably hard to find in a full bed. Option 2 would be an older f250 with the 6.0 diesel. It would be cheaper than others but for a reason. The 6.0 was horrible.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Long beds are hard to find. Crew cab long beds are HUGE. I have a 2011 Chevy extended cab (cab & 1/2) that is about perfect for me. I don't haul a lot of weight but the ability to get a 4x8 sheet of anything inside the tailgate is a huge plus in my book. Good luck. Trucks are real popular and real salty when you find a good one.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a full size Silverado 1500 with a short bed and there are still many parking spaces it’s too long for. So going bigger definitely has some drawbacks to go along with the increased capacity.

You can get mid-size trucks in a crew cab with a long bed but they’re really hard to find. And the bed still won’t have the same volume capacity. Even new you’d have a hard time finding one on a dealer lot.

If you could go with an extended cab with a long bed you might be able to find a full size long bed that meets your needs. Crew cab short beds are generally about the same overall length as a an extended cab standard bed.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, you have a #4 as well.... price?

How new/old are you willing to go? How much to you want to spend?

Most likely, a regular old gas-powered 1500 series ton crew cab regular bed of any make will suit you fine. Anything made in the last 10-15 years will haul 1500+ lbs in the bed, and tow 10K+ lbs. Crew cab beds will be shorter (typically), but you can add stake sides and pile things higher. Heck, find a used one that has a flatbed/stake-bed and haul whatever you want.

I can't imagine NOT having a pickup. Entirely too handy.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    2015 Ram 2500 HD 4x4 4 door with an 8 foot bed is what I drive. Mine is a 6.7 liter Cummins with a 6 speed automatic Trans. Great fuel mileage hauls anything. 18,000 lb. tow rating, only drawback is parking it at the local grocery, getting it in the space is not bad but backing back out can sometimes be a challenge when another large vehicle parks next to or directly behind it. They can be found in the mid 30k price range mine has just under 90,000 miles on it now. I am thinking of a new Jeep Gladiator pick up and might be willing to sell mine for about 38K.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    2015 Ram 2500 HD 4x4 4 door with an 8 foot bed is what I drive. Mine is a 6.7 liter Cummins with a 6 speed automatic Trans. Great fuel mileage hauls anything. 18,000 lb. tow rating, only drawback is parking it at the local grocery, getting it in the space is not bad but backing back out can sometimes be a challenge when another large vehicle parks next to or directly behind it. They can be found in the mid 30k price range mine has just under 90,000 miles on it now. I am thinking of a new Jeep Gladiator pick up and might be willing to sell mine for about 38K.
    Parking lot spaces aren't made for a full size pick up let alone a extended cab unless you park out in the south 40 and walk up to the business.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    You are talking about a 25-26 ft long vehicle. You would need about 4 acres to turn it around.

The prices are going batwazoo also, a new Ford Ranger crew cab is over 35k!

I have a Ram 3500 dually quad cab diesel (only 21ft long) that I can't say I endorse.

There is a reason the "work trucks" look like work trucks. All these new trucks are made to go up and down prepared roads.

I thought a dually would give me traction. It will swap ends on a wet asphalt road with anything less than 60% tread.

It is hard, if not impossible to get something to fit your bill exactly.

My answer was to get a truck I left on the farm and brought out gas 5 gallons at a time and have another "civilized" truck for the road.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sounds like two vehicles to me.

Standard cab 4X2 pickups are the most affordable and have the full sized bed for real hauling. Similarly, 100-200k seasoned 4x4 Explorers.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    New trucks (and used for that matter) are crazy high. However, there are a few deals to be had. Last month Silverado’s were 20% off MSRP and select Rams were closer to 30% off MSRP. If leasing interest you, check out the Tacoma and Tundra. I follow a message forum called Leasehackr. There are leasing deals to be had with payments in the $200s for both and these are the 4x4 Crewcab versions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have an extended cab (small rear seat) GMC half ton 4WD with the towing package. 5.3 that has all the power you will need. Short of hauling a crap ton of gravel we have yet to find anything that can not be accomplished with this truck. If required a small utility trailer greatly increases capacity and we can still actually get in and out of the ridiculously small parking spaces.

We work out of this truck. And we work it hard. Sometimes the 6' bed requires the tailgate to be left down and some creative hold downs be used but again, it fills a variety of needs.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Got some where to store a trailer? I don't have a trailer, but I generally see that advice given when someone brings up what you are needing. Still could get a pickup for the every day stuff, but get a small, inexpensive trailer for when you need the full length bed type of capacity.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    For some time now I have been taking care of some country property. As the years have passed it is becoming more and more apparent that I need a pickup truck to get a lot of stuff done, at least much easier than with a car or always trying to borrow one.

I have decided on three (3) basic requirements:

#1) 4 wheel drive. I want it to be very difficult to get stuck. This is easily accomplished with PU trucks.

#2) Crew cab. When traveling I want to be able to haul friends (ie. helpers) in one vehicle. This is also fairly easy to find. I use cars.com and search.

#3) I want a full sized bed. Heck, maybe even a bigger bed if I can get it.

It is numbers #2 & #3 combined that are a problem in a smaller PU truck. All of the smaller trucks I see that are crew cabs have the beds cut down, sometimes massively. They almost aren't even trucks anymore but big SUV's with open trunks...:rolleyes:

The bigger trucks are going to be more likely out of my price range, at least mostly.

My general question is: does anyone make a smaller crew cab pickup that can actually haul what a regular sized model of that type would be able to do?

From what I have seen with this dilemma for me I am wanting to have my cake and eat it too, but I am hoping someone has a year make model that I can specifically search for, or at least some ideas for hauling people and stuff together.

Thanks for the input,

Doug
    Doug,

If I'm reading this right, you almost want full size capability in a mid sized truck? I'd start by looking at a diesel Colorado. The problem these days is, the mid sized trucks aren't that much better price wise than a full sized pick up. We ran flat beds at one of my old jobs. They were huge, but they also fit the bill of everything you mentioned here. It was a diesel Chevy 3500 with a flat bed. So probably out of your price range as previously mentioned. I'm not sure you'll be able to get everything you want in one package. These days, you pay for a more capable truck

Top Bottom