Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

LinkedIn - Weird Experience

Some of you be regular users of LinkedIn. I joined last August in order to facilitate my job search after my then-impending layoff was announced. Fast forward to today and I am still using it on a daily basis to network and search for jobs.

So today get a connection request from someone named "Aliyah." (last name redacted). I've been responding to a lot of postings in the feed and getting likes and connection requests frequently, so I didn't think anything about it. Unless I have a reason to deny a connection, I usually accept.

Right after I accepted the connection, I started getting messages that were . . . odd. Here is a transcript of the exchanges:

---------------------------------

NEW CONNECTION 1:43 PM: Hello
    Hope you having a great day ?

rhino 1:47 PM: I am, thank you! The same to you.

NEW CONNECTION 1:49 PM: Thanks
    What you doing today if you donít mind me asking ?

rhino 1:52 PM: I just had a phone interview and I was working on an application for another job. And checking LinkedIn!

NEW CONNECTION 1:52 PM: Congratulations!
    Are you single if you donít mind me asking you ?

rhino 1:52 PM: Thank you

rhino 1:54 PM: Actually, I'm not interested in discussing personal information like that with people I don't know, especially on a site that I use for employment matters only.

NEW CONNECTION 1:54 PM: I understand
    Well If you donít mind I will like to be a friend

rhino 1:56 PM: I'm not sure what that entails, but I hope you understand that I'm not on LinkedIn for social interaction.

NEW CONNECTION 1:57 PM: Definitely
    So can we be friend ?

rhino 2:00 PM: Thank you for your interest. If you mean friend in the sense of cordial interactions in business and career postings in the LinkedIn feed, where people can like and comment on messages and articles, sure. Anything beyond that I am unable to offer.

NEW CONNECTION 2:15 PM: Thanks

------------------------------------

After that, I removed the connection. Before that happened, a message to congratulate her on her new position as "Chief Executive Officer at Opening Doors for Working Woman (CEO)" appeared in my feed. Is "working woman" a thinly veiled reference to "I'm a hooker looking for opportunities on LinkedIn"?

Very weird and uncomfortable!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !

User Info Menu

Itís a trap.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VUPDblue View Post
    Itís a trap.
    Which I deftly side-stepped!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Sounds like a pretty normal social media interaction to me.

They are all full of spammers, scammers, bots, and weirdos. Unlike you, I don't accept any invitation unless I am expecting it, know the person, or am reasonably certain I WANT to know the person. I get recruiter requests almost weekly, and ignore the majority of them. Oddball names, from oddball countries, are ignored. Even if legit, I don't have much interest in networking with some random IT person from Ghana.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

She thinks your hot and wants to be your "work spouse". wink
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

User Info Menu

You should have said you were single and willing to meet in some dark alleyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    .......Very weird and uncomfortable!
    That costs extra.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinNFluff View Post
    At a family gathering, my sister was getting ready to leave. She walked up and gave me a hug and said "Your phone is poking me." I smiled and replied simply with "That's not my phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by Leggdpms View Post
    ...he said alright sir and shaked my hard and said he has respect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow8088 View Post
    I cocked my head to the side a little and was admiring his piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    And seriously, where are those testicles being served? I want to just shove a handful into my mouth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post

They are all full of spammers, scammers, bots, and weirdos. Unlike you, I don't accept any invitation unless I am expecting it, know the person, or am reasonably certain I WANT to know the person. I get recruiter requests almost weekly, and ignore the majority of them. Oddball names, from oddball countries, are ignored. Even if legit, I don't have much interest in networking with some random IT person from Ghana.
    I am naive. LinkedIn is my first experience with anything like that, as I have purposely avoided stupid things like the Facebook. I didn't want to join LinkedIn, but my former boss told me that I should, and she was right. It has helped.

I'm probably going to be more selective. I had a guy trying to interest me in crypto currency based on legal cannabis sales, but I told him right away I was not interested and then removed the connection. I'm still trying to build a bigger network, but I need to more carefully scrutinize the available details.

Quote Originally Posted by KittySlayer View Post
    She thinks your hot and wants to be your "work spouse". wink
    Well, she was right, I am, and who wouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    You should have said you were single and willing to meet in some dark alleyway.
    I'm not a creepy French dude!

Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    That costs extra.
    Hush, you!

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post

^^^This.^^^ At first I would thank them for their interest and politely tell them that I was happy with my current employment. Now they get marked as spam and away they go.

ETA: These come in through my email, and not LinkedIn.

User Info Menu

Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast