• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    My buddy busted some plastic gears on his lathe the 2 that control the forward reverse motions.

I would like to know if anyone would be willing to print up 4 - Mod1, 30 teeth gears, 15mm thick with 2 having a bore of 10mm and 2 having a bore of 14mm, and what you would charge to do so.

I am having trouble finding said gears, so if you have a favorite spot to order replacement gears from, I'd love to know your "honey hole".

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My buddy busted some plastic gears on his lathe the 2 that control the forward reverse motions.

I would like to know if anyone would be willing to print up 4 - Mod1, 30 teeth gears, 15mm thick with 2 having a bore of 10mm and 2 having a bore of 14mm, and what you would charge to do so.

I am having trouble finding said gears, so if you have a favorite spot to order replacement gears from, I'd love to know your "honey hole".

Do you have the CAD files for the gears? My son's school has a printer, and I might be able to get some time on it. I need to talk to the head honcho.

Anyway, if you have a solid model, or can dig one up, I can probably translate it to whatever the printer at school needs from my work computer.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Ah hell...I forgot that we have a printer right here at work!

Yeah, if you can get me some CAD, I can almost certainly print them up for you.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've also got a 3D printer and if you get a file could print them for you. You may want to poke around on thingiverse to see if anybody has already made up a set. For instance https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1194078 is a full set of lathe gears for a mini lathe. It has one 30 tooth gear, but don't know if it is what you need. You will need to define the external diameter or tooth pitch. You may be able to use geargenerator.com to come up with the design you need. All you would need to do is save the .stl files the generator exports.
    --Rick

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My experience with printing things like gears has been that they don't hold up too particularly well in the long run and even with the printer dialed in really nice, your fitments aren't going to be right the first several attempts so you'd need to print a set, try them, alter the fit for what the printer is actually making, print again, try them, etc, etc. If YOU had a printer, this would be a somewhat reasonable approach, but doing that all long distance would be an issue.

Plus, if you managed to break what were likely injection molded gears originally, printed ones really don't stand a chance with normally available materials. There are specialty filaments available, but they're expensive and you need specialized printers to run them.

If you can make up a drawing of what you need, it's actually not that insane to have metal gears laser cut. A place I once worked at (that I don't recommend and isn't anywhere near you anyhow) charged $100/hr for laser time and your material cost should be about free if you could live with English steel sizes (5/8", 1/2", etc) and shim/grind the gears to width, instead of needing exactly 15mm and 10mm.

Since laser work is by the hour, and usually 1 hour minimum, you could have a bunch of them made for essentially the same price.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    https://www.3dhubs.com/

This place is great, get exactly what you want at the lowest prices, don't worry about begging somebody to print for you, PLUS you get the latest and greatest tech,

I've used this on several prototypes and the cost is very low, you choose your material, What more you want.

You do need the 3 d files, about any college student in the trade can do it for you and in the latest version of Windows there is a built in 3d viewer.

Top Bottom