• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Greenwood
    It is like every couple of months now. I don't think their infrastructure is built out to cope with the new demands. If I only had natural gas hook up, a generator would be in my future

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    IPL reports 16,000 persons affected lots of traffic lights out in Indy due to STORM. (loud storm due to lightning/thunder :D )

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I never lost power, but did lose my cable and internet for about half an hour. Ironically, I had charged up my deep cycle battery so in case the power went out, I could at least have cable and internet! :n00b:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I never lost power, but did lose my cable and internet for about half an hour. Ironically, I had charged up my deep cycle battery so in case the power went out, I could at least have cable and internet! :n00b:

Sadly not all the boosters between you and the head end contain batteries. Cable internet and VoIP are the least resilient to a storm/power outage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well the weird thing is, I never lost my phone (VoIP), at least not until I did a reboot of the whole system.
    So you think. Did you place/receive any calls after the power outage? (checking dial tone doesnt count because that is artificial and generated by your modem)

Unless you were on the phone or able to send/receive calls you probably didnt really have service. It wasnt until the reboot that your modem could no longer register with the SIP registration server.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sadly not all the boosters between you and the head end contain batteries. Cable internet and VoIP are the least resilient to a storm/power outage.

Fortunately ours do. Lights out but laptops were still on line (Wireless Gateway has a battery in it). Southeast Indy was only out a minute or two; has been this way for 10 years.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So you think. Did you place/receive any calls after the power outage? (checking dial tone doesnt count because that is artificial and generated by your modem)

Unless you were on the phone or able to send/receive calls you probably didnt really have service. It wasnt until the reboot that your modem could no longer register with the SIP registration server.

Ah, I didn't know this. Then I probably didn't have phone service since I only checked for dial tone.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    The electricity demand for the city is down due to the loss of the big power consumers: Chrysler, Ford, NaviStar. The real problem are trees. About 10-15 years ago IPL was taken to court for “aggressive” tree trimming and now they are limited to trimming only 3’ around primary distribution wires. Now all those trees that were trimmed back have now grown close to wires. 45’ pole sitting under a +60’ tree with only 3’ of clearance doesn’t look good for the wire hanging on that pole. If you do get a generator, then make sure you have the proper disconnect in place to prevent you from back feeding onto your service.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The electricity demand for the city is down due to the loss of the big power consumers: Chrysler, Ford, NaviStar. The real problem are trees. About 10-15 years ago IPL was taken to court for “aggressive” tree trimming and now they are limited to trimming only 3’ around primary distribution wires. Now all those trees that were trimmed back have now grown close to wires. 45’ pole sitting under a +60’ tree with only 3’ of clearance doesn’t look good for the wire hanging on that pole. If you do get a generator, then make sure you have the proper disconnect in place to prevent you from back feeding onto your service.

We removed a tree that was causing IPL problems.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We removed a tree that was causing IPL problems.

I've got a big Bradford Pear that's all in the lines running along the back of the property. I called IPL and they left a note on my door saying something about "drop lines" - the ones going from the main line to the house - which is not what I called about. Finally on the back of the card they mentioned the main line out back and said they'd take care of it on their "normal" schedule, which is every 3 years. Thing is, the last time they came through, they didn't trim that tree and it was already in the wires then. I don't know when the 3 years will be up, but I sure hope we don't get an ice storm or a bad wind storm between now and then, or there will be a bunch of people without power. I always check it after strong storms like we had last night, but so far it's held up. Just a matter of time though.

Once they get it clear of the lines, I'll probably go ahead and just take it down myself.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've got a big Bradford Pear that's all in the lines running along the back of the property. I called IPL and they left a note on my door saying something about "drop lines" - the ones going from the main line to the house - which is not what I called about. Finally on the back of the card they mentioned the main line out back and said they'd take care of it on their "normal" schedule, which is every 3 years. Thing is, the last time they came through, they didn't trim that tree and it was already in the wires then. I don't know when the 3 years will be up, but I sure hope we don't get an ice storm or a bad wind storm between now and then, or there will be a bunch of people without power. I always check it after strong storms like we had last night, but so far it's held up. Just a matter of time though.

Once they get it clear of the lines, I'll probably go ahead and just take it down myself.

Taking IPL to court over this is pretty silly. Real silly actually. Unless they did push the limits but still, if your tree is threatening my power then deal with it. People are just so easily offended/angered.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Taking IPL to court over this is pretty silly. Real silly actually. Unless they did push the limits but still, if your tree is threatening my power then deal with it. People are just so easily offended/angered.

Oh I have no plans on taking them to court. But by the same token, I don't want to be on the hook if I were to try and take down the tree and accidentally knocked out the line/lines. If it comes down on its own, then that's on IPL because the lines are in an easement. At least I have it documented that I called about it.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby

They don’t trim secondary lines (downstream of the transformer), the drop line is for your service wire that connects to the house from the pole.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They don’t trim secondary lines (downstream of the transformer), the drop line is for your service wire that connects to the house from the pole.

Right. I had no problem with the drop line. In fact I had just had a tree taken down that was only into the drop line a little bit, so there was absolutely nothing around the drop line when they came and looked so I don't know why they even mentioned it. :nuts:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The storms yesterday must have been worse than in Bloomington. On my way home I came upon the stoplight at 37 & 144 while it was out yesterday. A couple of sheriff's deputies were directing people through but there was a pretty good backup going southbound 37. Another 4 - 6 inch branch had fallen and was sticking out just enough to knock off a side mirror on one of the surface roads.

We're fortunate that most of our lines are buried. I also have almost 10KVA of UPS power available if needed. Mostly they are there to take care of the quick power flickers. I also feel like the storms have lost some of their severity by the time they get over to the southeast corner of the city.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Its a Bradford Pear, it’s threatening everything around or under it. Worst ****ing trees in the world, but they’re cheap and they grow fast, so all the subdivisions love them until they find out their roots barely go in the ground and they’ll fall over if you lean on them. We lost 13 trees in our neighborhood and the surroundings yesterday. That’s all I could count, I’m just waiting for mine to get me a new Jeep!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom