• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Anyone have any experience with Frontier? I have to fly AGAIN and was told to try them because they’re super cheap.
    I’ve tried a few times today to get on their website but haven’t been able to get past entering my destination. I called and was on the phone with a woman who seemed to not know how to look up a flight... I gave up after 30 minutes out of frustration.
    I’ll try again in the morning before I book with a higher priced airline. Just trying to save money after flying way more than I’d like and purchasing flights for family members in the last few weeks.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The Frontier of today has evolved from the Frontier of 15 years ago.

Its a fine airline for an ultra low cost carrier, I have a few friends that fly there, but like most things you get what you pay for.

I’d not necessarily be opposed to a direct flight but I would not choose a two-leg flight.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    From my understanding frontier is like Allegiant... cheap but have to pay for everything.

i fly Allegiant down to Florida. When I fly solo, I can get a round trip for less then a couple Hundo (no check bags, sit in the middle, just a backpack).

when I fly with my family and we “need”to sit together... and need to bring three checked bags, all the fees add up, but I’m paying for the direct flight. Still is normally cheaper than southwest

unlike most people in this country I don’t mind being uncomfortable and not being waited on hand and foot

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The weak link for airlines like Frontier is they have no agreements with other airlines. If your aircraft suffers a mechanical, you're waiting for it to be fixed or for another plane from the same airline to get there and Frontier lacks the fleet size to have much in the way of online spares to ferry in. Personally, I wouldn't fly them at all. They tend to run a long MEL in the interests of keeping planes in the air at all costs (this is technically legal but leaves a lot of links available to forge a disaster chain). But even if I was less picky, I wouldn't fly them if arrival time was crucial such as to an event like a wedding or reunion. Their seats also have some of the smallest pitch in the industry, 28.5 inches I believe (SW is 31)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The weak link for airlines like Frontier is they have no agreements with other airlines. If your aircraft suffers a mechanical, you're waiting for it to be fixed or for another plane from the same airline to get there and Frontier lacks the fleet size to have much in the way of online spares to ferry in. Personally, I wouldn't fly them at all. They tend to run a long MEL in the interests of keeping planes in the air at all costs (this is technically legal but leaves a lot of links available to forge a disaster chain). But even if I was less picky, I wouldn't fly them if arrival time was crucial such as to an event like a wedding or reunion. Their seats also have some of the smallest pitch in the industry, 28.5 inches I believe (SW is 31)

We flew them on our last journey to Florida. One way both ways non-stop. Convenient and pretty much on time. But the fees. Wow. If you are on a tight budget these need to be known. It did not set us back but the 2 students in line behind us had to use lunch money.
    I would fly them again buy they do need to tell you up front about the baggage and other fee's.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    [FONT=&quot]But the seats didn’t look very comfortable.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    FrontierDENPHL201700029-450x600.jpg

Frontier seats[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]They are a very slim line seat made out of molded plastic, so they don’t have a lot of give. Nor do they recline.

From:https://onemileatatime.com/frontier-airlines-review/ which might give some insight into how they operate[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    [FONT="]But the seats didn’t look very comfortable.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#252525][FONT="]

Frontier seats[/FONT]

[FONT="]They are a very slim line seat made out of molded plastic, so they don’t have a lot of give. Nor do they recline.

From:https://onemileatatime.com/frontier-airlines-review/ which might give some insight into how they operate[/FONT]

True but the short flight from Tampa non-stop it was doable at least for me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    [FONT=&amp]But the seats didn’t look very comfortable.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Frontier seats[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]They are a very slim line seat made out of molded plastic, so they don’t have a lot of give. Nor do they recline.

"We'll sell you the whole seat, but you'll only [STRIKE]need[/STRIKE] be able to use the edge!"

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I have no experience with Frontier but have always pictured crates of live chickens in the cabin and the pilot being a cross eyed fellow named Cookie.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I tend to look beyond price to safety. I once deliberately booked a connection into EYW from MIA because the flight would be a turbo-prop (ATR-72). I could have connected in TPA or MCO and flown on a small jet but they were putting those aircraft into 4200 feet of runway with bird filled swampy areas on both ends. Everything might be fine if the pilot brought his 'A' game, but I'd rather not count on that; especially if we sucked a bird immediately before landing or just after take-off. The margin for error on the ATR was much higher.

For the same reason, I won't fly on an aircraft with de-icing boots as opposed to bleed air anti-ice unless there is just no other way. Control the risks you can

IMO low cost carriers tend to be most interested in keeping planes in the air, even some that maybe shouldn't be. I am personally aware (through a friend) of a Frontier flight from CMH that had a hydraulic pump failure in a critical hydraulic circuit (Airbus 319) and attempted to get contract maintenance to swap a working pump from another, less critical circuit into the position so the flight would be technically legal to go but would still have one pump out (they declined).

That told me everything I needed to know

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't laugh, some airlines are experimenting with seats that you essentially stand in with provision to rest your weight occasionally. I visualize something like the skeletal frame at the gym you can do leg lifts in

View attachment 79436 View attachment 79437

I remember hearing about these. No. Just no. I mean, if it was a little puddle jumper flight, maybe (I used to fly into Greenville, SC with a stop in Charlotte, NC where we switched to a "commuter" plane) for business. The second leg of the flight literally felt like by the time you got to full altitude, you were starting your descent into Greenville. I could probably handle it for that long. It was probably a 30 - 40 minute flight.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I tend to look beyond price to safety. I once deliberately booked a connection into EYW from MIA because the flight would be a turbo-prop (ATR-72). I could have connected in TPA or MCO and flown on a small jet but they were putting those aircraft into 4200 feet of runway with bird filled swampy areas on both ends. Everything might be fine if the pilot brought his 'A' game, but I'd rather not count on that; especially if we sucked a bird immediately before landing or just after take-off. The margin for error on the ATR was much higher.

I flew the CRJ-200 between EYW and both FLL and MCO; airplane had plenty of performance, especially with Key West's prevailing winds considered. A highly compromised airplane as most in the business are aware, the CR2 has VERY effective brakes and stopping isn't a factor - even with a Vapp of 147 at MLW.

Perhaps hard to believe given the runway length, but EYW was 'less risky' in a regional jet due to utter lack of obstacles than DCA or LGA.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I flew the CRJ-200 between EYW and both FLL and MCO; airplane had plenty of performance, especially with Key West's prevailing winds considered. A highly compromised airplane as most in the business are aware, the CR2 has VERY effective brakes and stopping isn't a factor - even with a Vapp of 147 at MLW.

Perhaps hard to believe given the runway length, but EYW was 'less risky' in a regional jet due to utter lack of obstacles than DCA or LGA.
    I have no idea what you just said. :):

3QHF.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

My only options at the time were E145s. No leading edge slats and ground spoilers the size of shoebox lids. While quite a bit heavier, the CJ2s had twice the thrust of the E145s also

I wasn't worried so much about excess performance available as capabilities of plane and pilot should the SHTF. By the way, SW used to take 737-700s in and out of there (to TPA) and DL took CRJ7s to ATL but I think both limited the capacity so power to weight was quite high

Edit: Looked up the data, not as much difference between BOW and total thrust between the two types as I thought

Last edited:
    Top Bottom