Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ingomike View Post
    If the whole evolution this was true, why do so many species not evolve the way monkeys became human, and if monkeys became human why did some not evolve?

Ah, the mysteries of life, the more man thinks he knows the less he actually does...
    Humans didn't evolve from monkeys.

Humans and monkeys evolved from a common ancestor.
    WTS/WTT 9mm and 308 win reload dies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljesus View Post

This
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    Who says that they can't or won't ever? Do you know why mammals became the dominant species on the planet?
    Going out on a limb here ... Bacon?

User Info Menu

It's got to be hard to see things at this scale of time. I can see small changes over a period of time we are familiar with, but not a really long stretch. Trying to compress the scale you can look at things like bacteria that mutate to be come more resistant to drugs, but this is a lot of generations before we see the change. Changing that to animals that have life spans measured in years you get an idea of the time scale problem.

There's also the complexity of the organism relative to something single celled.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle....

It was a fascinating interview. Thanks for posting.
    Beto is one of "Those" people that you hope to one day be able to throat punch.

KLB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phase2 View Post
    Dinosaurs supposedly died out when the sun was blotted out by a massive meteor hit causing a major period of lessened light and global cooling. Then why didn't they evolve nice warm hairy coats when they needed them?

I'm a firm believer in evolution as the primary driver for the variation of life on Earth, but in attempting to be rational, I have to acknowledge that they have a good point. The fact that I don't have a good answer doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

Edit: They are using the same probability logic as is used with computer hashing and cryptocurrencies. There is nothing that says that it is impossible to guess someone's crypto private key and steal their funds (think of the private key as a viable species). The *only* thing stopping it is that you have to do the equivalent of finding 1000 particular grains of sand in the entire world by pure guesswork to find one of those private keys. So, hacking someone's cryptocurrency isn't impossible by this means, only highly, highly improbable. These scientists are saying that (1) the range of possible gene combinations is a similar huge universe of possibilities, (2) the vast majority of genetic mutations are neutral or negative for survival and (3) given the pace of random variations, it would take longer than the span of all Earthly life to move from one species to the genetic code for a second species.
    Because evolution doesn't happen in a matter of years, nor does it always work. Otherwise we would not have lost the vast majority of species that ever lived on this planet.
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ingomike View Post
    Ah, the mysteries of life, the more man thinks he knows the less he actually does...
    You are so close to self-awareness.

So close...

Deserves got nothing to do with it...

User Info Menu

Well, I'm still picking my way through it. I'm at the point where we've determined that the odds of the biosphere self organizing are so small that there must necessarily be an intelligent designer behind it. The elephant in the room, however, is that something had to come first. Something had to self-organize to the level of being able to organize this information that encodes the instructions for life to not only exist, but self replicate. Crediting an intelligence simply abstracts the small odds back a step. Now, as small as the odds may be of it happening once, doesn't backing it up a step make those odds even smaller?
    Geeking out on ancestry; 17th great grandson of Geoffrey Chaucer, and a bunch of dukes, knights, princesses, kings and stuff. Of course, once you turn over a rock and one king crawls out, you're pretty much infested with them. And what did I tell you? Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, Charles "The Hammer" Martel, and a truckload of others. This is getting better: "The Bonny Earl O'Moray" was an ancestor, and the origin of the term mondegreen: They slew the Earl O'Moray and Lady Mondegreen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    I don't know if it's this basic or not, but the obvious answer seems to be need. If something lives near a large body of water, and it's land based source of food is taken away, forcing it to go into the water to find food, it would seem that eventually that creature will develop traits that would be useful in the water.
    One of the fundamental problems with this is that the intermediate traits always results in a compromised individual. As an example, a land based animal that brings to develop gills to survive in the water would experience more limited lung function - likely making it more exposed to predators. Assuming this type of morphology was actually possible, the change would require many, many generations to progress, each requiring an improvement of the developing gills and reduction of functional lungs, resulting in a creature that was not able to function well, if at all, on land or in water.

In an interview in Ben Stein's "No Intelligence Allowed", Dr. David Berlinski (interviewed in the o.p. YouTube link) stated that even a simple functional change like this is impossible.

Look at it another way: DNA is like computer code only significantly more complicated. If you were given open access to any computer program and started to make random changes, what is the likelyhood that you would improve the function of the program run by the underlying code?
    Last edited by alabasterjar; 08-23-2019 at 20:55. Reason: Grammar nazi-ing my own post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljesus View Post

You say that with confidence. Show your work.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast