• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I would like to have new shocks installed in the front of my Ram 1500 to take the rake out of it (level the truck). I had this done on my last ram, and the shop that did it did a great job, but damn was it expensive.... I’d do it myself but I don’t have the tools to take the front suspension apart or to compress the springs to get to the shocks. I was hoping to find some place reasonable to install the Bilstein 5100s I have to go in the front end. Any recommendations?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never had to dismantle the front end to set a set of shocks installed. Crazy.
    Call Tracy Hash at Marwood tire and ask him if they will do it. big Chris in the shop is my guy.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Had Raymond's in Plainfield put in my Bilstein's. Had another mechanic who was supposed to do it, and then realized he'd gotten in over his head and turned down the job after I already purchased the parts. Took it over to Raymonds and they did a great job, and aligned it, etc as well. Definitely recommend them.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Can I ask a dumb question?

Why would shocks raise the front of your truck? Usually it's the springs that do that job. Does it have some sort of weirdo front suspension setup? Just curious.

edit: Should have Googled... Apparently they use coil overs up front. I would have never thought trucks would ever go that way.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is Raymond’s still there? I drove by a week or so ago and it looked like it had become a used car lot.

It moved a few years back to Main Street or US40. They have a great facility now. https://raymondsautoandtruckrepair.com/

Coupons on their website. Was just there on Friday using a loyalty reward I had for $60 to get my gear oil in my front diff changed.

They are not the cheapest in town, but they are good.

Eric should be able to discuss it with you. Rose, who works in the front office is great and remembers me by name, every time I am in.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Can I ask a dumb question?

Why would shocks raise the front of your truck? Usually it's the springs that do that job. Does it have some sort of weirdo front suspension setup? Just curious.

edit: Should have Googled... Apparently they use coil overs up front. I would have never thought trucks would ever go that way.

The Bilstein struts have adjustable rings to mount the coilover spring on. Put them on my FJ to level out the front and remove the rake.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Is Raymond’s still there? I drove by a week or so ago and it looked like it had become a used car lot.

It moved a few years back to Main Street or US40. They have a great facility now. https://raymondsautoandtruckrepair.com/

Coupons on their website. Was just there on Friday using a loyalty reward I had for $60 to get my gear oil in my front diff changed.

They are not the cheapest in town, but they are good.

Eric should be able to discuss it with you. Rose, who works in the front office is great and remembers me by name, every time I am in.

Yeah they're in the old Garage Doors of Indianapolis place next to the ford dealer I believe. I take all of my stuff there for alignment, never used them for mechanical work though.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Call Tillman's in Greenwood? I know they do a bunch of accessories - both show-off stuff and real stuff. I do not know, however, if they do installation work themselves or if they just sell parts for DIYers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Learned long ago, "Just because it fits, doesn't mean it's not over-capacity"
    We survived....and so did the truck. They charged $30 per pickup load to dump concrete, so I don't see how I had any choice but to make it in 1 trip.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I would like to have new shocks installed in the front of my Ram 1500 to take the rake out of it (level the truck). I had this done on my last ram, and the shop that did it did a great job, but damn was it expensive.... I’d do it myself but I don’t have the tools to take the front suspension apart or to compress the springs to get to the shocks. I was hoping to find some place reasonable to install the Bilstein 5100s I have to go in the front end. Any recommendations?

Call Northwest Frame and Alignment in Zville.

317-873-3773

Talk to the owner, Aaron.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    We survived....and so did the truck. They charged $30 per pickup load to dump concrete, so I don't see how I had any choice but to make it in 1 trip.

That's the only logical conclusion. I did used to own a trailer for exactly that kind of thing though...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I could use some new shocks.....now.

View attachment 79498

View attachment 79499

Yeah, yeah I know- this was irresponsible without a dually.

HM, you've barely scratched the surface of what's possible. I can remember a load of gravel (little over a ton) with 2 rolls of red brand 4' woven wire fence and 8 bundles of steel posts in an 85 Chevy k2500 that almost required me to sit on the hood so little brother had enough traction on the steer tires to get us home to Beanblossom from Indy.:rockwoot:psyko

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    HM, you've barely scratched the surface of what's possible. I can remember a load of gravel (little over a ton) with 2 rolls of red brand 4' woven wire fence and 8 bundles of steel posts in an 85 Chevy k2500 that almost required me to sit on the hood so little brother had enough traction on the steer tires to get us home to Beanblossom from Indy.:rockwoot:psyko

That's the kind of can-do attitude that made America great!

Top Bottom