• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    So I bought a car without a motor and transmission. Plan right now is to put it into storage for a year before I start working on it. Once I start working on it, I'm guessing it will be a year before I actually complete it.

I plan on getting the title transfered into my name but what do I do about registration?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    So I bought a car without a motor and transmission. Plan right now is to put it into storage for a year before I start working on it. Once I start working on it, I'm guessing it will be a year before I actually complete it.

I plan on getting the title transfered into my name but what do I do about registration?

Make sure you're not going to end up breaking any local ordinances by having it sitting around disabled. If it's in your garage, no problem, but if it's outside the lack of registration makes it a bullseye for nosy neighbors and code enforcement if that's a thing where you live (might even consider pulling the front springs and blocking the front end up so it's not obviously engineless).

Also, FYI, pretty sure Indiana will charge you 2 years of registration when you finally do go to register it anyhow. I didn't have the exact same situation as you, as I had 3 cars that I let the registration lapse on (so I had them plated in the past) while they were in storage and when I plated them again last year that's what they did to me. It appears they operate on the assumption that if you let your registration expire for a year, you were still driving it around, so they make it cough it up regardless of whether or not you did. No clue what they would do if you title it this year and then go back next year for your first registration, but being that it's the government, it would be worth it me not to find out (especially if this is an old car with like a $60 plate anyhow).

So... If you're only going to have it in storage for a year, and you're going to the BMV for a title anyhow, and you have to pay sales tax anyhow, may as well just get the plates too and head these problems off at the pass, IMO.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Last I knew, Titled yes and has to be done withing a certain time frame after purchase. Registered/plated, no, if not driving it. You will pay for "X" amount of time when you do get around to registering/plating it. If it sets for 10 years you won't pay 10 years of registration fees. Again, Last I knew from talking to the BMV.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I thought vehicles had to be titled and registered, even if parked? I have 2 parked right now with plates. There is a penalty if you do not maintain the registration. You have to fill out an Affidavit of Non-Use if it will not be driven for more than 90 days.

https://www.in.gov/bmv/2448.htm

and the IC:
    Indiana Code 2019 - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

I'll be dipped...

Today I Learned: The government requires you to inform that you plan to drive your car on the roads you paid for and also when you do not plan to drive the car on the roads you paid for... :nuts:

I think I'd still just plate if you're only going to have it in storage for a year. I'd rather pay the money than go back to the BMV.

Also a good time to mention if you don't have your "true ID", or whatever it's called, you may as well do that while you're there...

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The car will be stored in a pole barn so not worried about people seeing it and complaining. I did think about this though.

Really pretty crappy if I have to pay to register it even if it can't be and won't be driven. I will ask the bmv about the affidavit to see if that gets me out of paying back registration.

Already have my real ID but thanks for the reminder.

Right now the plan is it will be ready in 2 years but I'm sure most of you know how project cars go.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The car will be stored in a pole barn so not worried about people seeing it and complaining. I did think about this though.

Really pretty crappy if I have to pay to register it even if it can't be and won't be driven. I will ask the bmv about the affidavit to see if that gets me out of paying back registration.

Already have my real ID but thanks for the reminder.

Right now the plan is it will be ready in 2 years but I'm sure most of you know how project cars go.

You know... If you're positive the title you have is legit, and it's signed, why not just not do anything until the time comes? Especially if it's going to be inside and no one but you knows its in there...

I bought a beater Blazer and just let it rot in the driveway with no paperwork until it was time for me to start putting my money into it a few months later. I think they might have charged me an extra $10 or something as a penalty, but not enough to make 2 trips to the BMV worth my time. If you haven't noticed, I really don't like going to the BMV. In fact, I suckered someone else into doing it for me for that one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If memory serves I did this with a project car. Bought it, transferred title, no plates. Stored a year then a several month project. When I went to plate it they hit me with all the fees etc and a fine for not plating it. My argument is that it was stored and not in use. But I got dinged.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    You know... If you're positive the title you have is legit, and it's signed, why not just not do anything until the time comes? Especially if it's going to be inside and no one but you knows its in there...

I bought a beater Blazer and just let it rot in the driveway with no paperwork until it was time for me to start putting my money into it a few months later. I think they might have charged me an extra $10 or something as a penalty, but not enough to make 2 trips to the BMV worth my time. If you haven't noticed, I really don't like going to the BMV. In fact, I suckered someone else into doing it for me for that one.

I did think about this. I am buying from a friend though and I think they want it out of their name.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have a truck that I had been driving that now needs some major work. I can't afford to get to it for at least a year or two. I took it off my insurance then went to BMV to see what I needed to do to store it without paying registration.

They told me a vehicle that has been registered can be taken off BUT if I re-registered it within 3 years, I will be charged for the whole time AND penalized on top of that. If I were planning to store it for 3 years or longer, then I could re-register it without being charged or penalized for that time.

It's BULL**** but I'm paying good money for my truck to sit and not drive on the street.

This may be different than your situation but just watch out, they are there to make money and screw you. Not always in that order. :xmad:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I did think about this. I am buying from a friend though and I think they want it out of their name.

Easy enough. You can log into the BMV website and report when you sell a vehicle now. It doesn't ask you to who or what you did with it. I sold a trailer to a guy that showed up with a bumper ball, a truck that the bed was visibly not attached to the frame anymore, clearly no signs of ever pulling a trailer before (and little ability to back his truck into my driveway WITHOUT a trailer on it), no plate, no provisions for the safety chains, and no means of operating the lights. He at least did bring a chase vehicle... and also paid me full asking price without even attempting to haggle. :dunno:

Anyhow... I couldn't get in the house fast enough to record my ownership of it coming to an end as visions of my former trailer careening across the median and through someone's windshield went racing through my mind.

So... What car is this anyhow? You holding out on something awesome?

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Easy enough. You can log into the BMV website and report when you sell a vehicle now. It doesn't ask you to who or what you did with it. I sold a trailer to a guy that showed up with a bumper ball, a truck that the bed was visibly not attached to the frame anymore, clearly no signs of ever pulling a trailer before (and little ability to back his truck into my driveway WITHOUT a trailer on it), no plate, no provisions for the safety chains, and no means of operating the lights. He at least did bring a chase vehicle... and also paid me full asking price without even attempting to haggle. :dunno:

Anyhow... I couldn't get in the house fast enough to record my ownership of it coming to an end as visions of my former trailer careening across the median and through someone's windshield went racing through my mind.

So... What car is this anyhow? You holding out on something awesome?

That is good to know. I might talk to my friend about it.

Car is a 1980 notch mustang. Clean with zero rust. Got a screaming deal on it. Car came from Colorado and the guy had it set up as a pretty basic drag car. It was new enough that he had to have it inspected so instead of dealing with that, he pulled the motor and trans and sold it. My plan is to put a mild 351w c4 combo in it and drive/race it. Should be a pretty fun project as it's my first major project. I have a 2005 mustang with a supercharger that I put on but that was pretty simple.

facebook_1566064825387_420938978431891.jpg

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That is good to know. I might talk to my friend about it.

Car is a 1980 notch mustang. Clean with zero rust. Got a screaming deal on it. Car came from Colorado and the guy had it set up as a pretty basic drag car. It was new enough that he had to have it inspected so instead of dealing with that, he pulled the motor and trans and sold it. My plan is to put a mild 351w c4 combo in it and drive/race it. Should be a pretty fun project as it's my first major project. I have a 2005 mustang with a supercharger that I put on but that was pretty simple.

View attachment 79540

Awesome man! You picked a great platform to sink your teeth into. VERY easy cars to work on (I own a 91). You can bang an engine in transmission into one in a few hours without hardly any experience. I remember seeing a guy on YouTube pull an engine and tranny out of a Fox in real time, without taking the hood off, in something like under 10 minutes.

Are you the same guy I was talking to about this car in another thread, or is this the second member here today talking about buying a Notch this weekend?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have a truck that I had been driving that now needs some major work. I can't afford to get to it for at least a year or two. I took it off my insurance then went to BMV to see what I needed to do to store it without paying registration.

They told me a vehicle that has been registered can be taken off BUT if I re-registered it within 3 years, I will be charged for the whole time AND penalized on top of that. If I were planning to store it for 3 years or longer, then I could re-register it without being charged or penalized for that time.

It's BULL**** but I'm paying good money for my truck to sit and not drive on the street.

This may be different than your situation but just watch out, they are there to make money and screw you. Not always in that order. :xmad:

They hit me for 2 years each, last year, x 3 cars... Plus they raised the rates last year, so my registration bill was about double what I expected. I think I'd look into that form of non-use that was linked earlier. I read the statute the same poster linked and it didn't say anything about 3 years + penalties.

Alternatively... You could "sell" it to your wife, or a child, or a friend, and buy it back when it's ready to go and then register it as newly purchased...?

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville

Awesome man! You picked a great platform to sink your teeth into. VERY easy cars to work on (I own a 91). You can bang an engine in transmission into one in a few hours without hardly any experience. I remember seeing a guy on YouTube pull an engine and tranny out of a Fox in real time, without taking the hood off, in something like under 10 minutes.

Are you the same guy I was talking to about this car in another thread, or is this the second member here today talking about buying a Notch this weekend?

It was someone else. I have always wanted a notch, really a 87-93 but when this one came up I couldn't let it pass.

I might look at "selling" and "buying back" to my dad. I know last time I bought a car from him they didn't charge me sales tax because he was my dad. I'd still be a little worried that they would find some way to charge extra fees. I am going to look into that form posted earlier as well.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It was someone else. I have always wanted a notch, really a 87-93 but when this one came up I couldn't let it pass.

I might look at "selling" and "buying back" to my dad. I know last time I bought a car from him they didn't charge me sales tax because he was my dad. I'd still be a little worried that they would find some way to charge extra fees. I am going to look into that form posted earlier as well.

It's a really small world on INGO this weekend then. I think 3 guys have bought, or tried to buy, Notches in the last week if my reading was accurate. I have a hatch GT.

You're only a few bits of trim, a bumper, and I think a hood away from dressing it up as a later car. May as well go for it if that's what you want! I'm not a fan of the earlier interior, but if you want it as a race car, that's probably all leaving anyhow.

...and it's not at all unusual for family, or even friends, to gift vehicles to each other. That's why there's a check box for "gift". I was more talking to Duck with that idea, but, sure, your buddy could gift it to you and you could gift him an envelope with contents unknown to you in exchange.

Top Bottom