• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am giving up and have decided to start a weed farm. When I bought this place last year it didn't take long to notice that the side yard felt like it had been used as a motocross track when I mowed it, so much so that I dropped $800+ on a suspension seat to cushion the ride. Even with the seat however, it was more than two hours to mow because I still had to go slow to avoid rattling my new mower to pieces. I didn't have time last year to mess with it so I planned on doing it this year.

Fast forward to a week ago. I decided it was time so I began tilling the approximately 1.5 acres. I tilled it pretty lightly then hit it with Glyphosate to kill everything off. Once the vegetation was dead I tilled it two more times.
    hAgEGbSh.jpg

Once I had it broken up good I tried to level it out with the box blade.
    iICtvgMh.jpg

That didn't work, so I tried the rear blade.
    9Kz5oLSh.jpg

Same crappy result so I figured I'd try to disc it.
    RCSzkzPh.jpg

Complete waste of time so I tilled it again then went over it a few times with the 1500lb roller.
    jNSzhevh.jpg

That seemed to lay it down pretty well so I got the mower out and drove it around only to discover that it felt like it did before I'd done anything. I started searching for a used soil pulverizer to buy as well as one to rent but wasn't having any luck. I checked with the neighbor and low & behold they had one so I went and borrowed it last night.
    GHIQ1E5h.jpg

It does a pretty decent job but I still can't get things smoothed out. The pulverizer did a nice job of moving dirt to fill in some large depressions but the "final" grade is still rough. I've also been looking for a decent drag to use and haven't had any luck so I thought I'd drag the ramp from my utility trailer around for awhile.
    1VSzaEJh.jpg

Imagine my surprise when it proved to be yet another waste of time.

So I give up. It was going to cost me close to a grand to buy 600lbs of seed so I guess that money saved will be my silver lining. I'm over it and I'd really like my 12 hours of wasted time back.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    You could always fence it off and put out a couple goats. Just sayin... :dunno: Weed problem solved.

Money can't always buy happiness but it can buy you a goat.

EDIT: Well maybe not, the goat lawyers may sue for all the glyphosate you'll expose them to.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My father once told me that in the front yard, if it is green and looks good from the road, it's ok.

Seriously, and not knowing the final cost, there are some chemicals sold by farm stores that are designed to break up and make the soil more user friendly.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Caveat: I know zip about farming. I know you can amend compacted soil on a smaller scale with gypsum if you're not in a hurry. You could probably even get faster results by tilling one application in and then top dressing after

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nice collection of equipment Phylo, you're looking more like a farmer every day. That tiller really should do the trick, it's all I use around here.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    You'll probably need to let it settle now, having been tilled up

As I understand it, you're looking for a Harley Rake
    This will level out, and spread around enough topsoil to allow germinated seed to take root.

But in the meantime, you've ALSO saved a bunch of time/money not needing to mow that area.
    Beware what you wish for!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Soil compaction issues can take years to resolve. The products they sell to help resolve this issue is basically detergents.

An old mold board plow next spring after the rains have dried sufficiently then either disc or till. If you till, your ground speed should be about 1.5 mph, I mean a slow crawl. Drop her deep and let the big dog eat.

Do you know what soil type you have? The county extension agent should have a soil survey book for your area that you can look up the type, the characteristics and care tips.

When you are ready to plant, take a soil sample to the agent and have it tested. You will fill out a piece of paper saying the ground is currently fallow and you want to make it pasture (or whatever) and they will tell you how much of what you need to apply for best return. Lime, composition and amount of fertilizer, magnesium, etc.

You will want a good stand of grass emerging at the same time to help choke out voluntary species and to prevent you from uprooting the new shoots while you try to cut the mature ones.

A couple of years from now this will be nothing more than a good story to tell, you will forget the bit tongue and chipped teeth...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    All of my country buddies just ask people to bring out their unwanted dirt and then just bucket and box it out to the low spots until it's level. Seems to work well and there never seems to be a shortage of people wanting to get rid of dirt.

I have no idea what contractors do when they dig a basement, but my assumption has always been that they pay to get rid of it... So, maybe a fwofer?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I appreciate all the info and recommendations. We've had a soil test done so I know what is needed there, just have to figure out how to get this graded smoother.

FHStvQOh.jpg

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I appreciate all the info and recommendations. We've had a soil test done so I know what is needed there, just have to figure out how to get this graded smoother.

Now that I see it, I think what you really need is a fleet of go carts and dirt bikes.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Maybe massage it again after it's been rained on real well? Not muddy like to get stuck in, just moist enough to soften it up. Myself, I've given up even harder, I can't even get actual weeds to grow intentionally.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's not bad at all Phylo. Better than what things looked like around here 8 years ago.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You may just need to plant the grass and live with it for awhile. It will get a little better each year from the rain, freezing, etc.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom