• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Did I read right? Did I read correctly that this storm is the strongest one (at least in our hemisphere) on record?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Strongest one to ever hit the northern bahamas. Number two on roster of hurricanes ranked by windspeed but not near record low pressures

Heard on WX channel that storm surge expected to be 15 to 20 feet for islands that are mostly between 10 and 15 feet ASL

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Heard wind gusts up to 220mph. Looking like its gonna be a bad one for sure. Saying will possibly track up the east coast and hit SC instead of FL. Guess only time will tell on that

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I forget the term, but right now we are in a peak super high tide window. Where high tide due to a combination of "perfect storm" (this one not included) of events combine to make tide higher than it normally would be. Couple that with storm surge and they were saying it would be a foot or more higher than just normal storm surge alone.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My FIL had a condo on Abaco Cay. He owned it since 1972 got hit by two hurricanes in the 2000's. Every time one was bearing down on the Bahama's he sat glued to the TV totally stressed out.

Now that he sold it, I'm guessing he is not as stressed. I'm sure he is so glad he doesn't have it anymore since it's his island that is in the direct path as far as I can tell.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The Indians in Florida mostly lived inland. They knew about the weather.

My brother lives on the west coast of Florida near Panama City. He had just barely moved down there when the hurricane a year ago hit. He is still fixing his house. But he doesn't care. It's worth it to him as he is a avid sal****er fisherman.

I would love to live on a lake. Not so much the ocean but that is more due to me not liking Florida or most of the eastern seaboard. I also don't care for the heat that the south has.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Heard wind gusts up to 220mph. Looking like its gonna be a bad one for sure. Saying will possibly track up the east coast and hit SC instead of FL. Guess only time will tell on that

Pretty amazing they can tell us we will be in deep D00-Doo per climate change in 12 years but have no freaking clue what this storm is doing "Right" now.

Amazing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

My brother lives on the west coast of Florida near Panama City. He had just barely moved down there when the hurricane a year ago hit. He is still fixing his house. But he doesn't care. It's worth it to him as he is a avid sal****er fisherman.

I would love to live on a lake. Not so much the ocean but that is more due to me not liking Florida or most of the eastern seaboard. I also don't care for the heat that the south has.

Same here. Far enough south that the winters are a little milder, but far enough north that there's nothing in the lake that can eat me. :):

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Pretty amazing they can tell us we will be in deep D00-Doo per climate change in 12 years but have no freaking clue what this storm is doing "Right" now.

Amazing.

Not amazing, but instead pathetic. What is happening in 12 years can't be fact checked. What is happening right now can be.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry

Amazing.
    I can tell you what it's doing, waging hell on the islands. You and I have never seen the amount of rain this storm will release. Nor the wind speed. 220 is 220.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Amazing.

There's no money in either accurately predicting the weather or reporting the news. There's BIG money in climate change...

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    We are in the cone of uncertainty here in SE North Carolina for Dorian. We are still rebuilding from Florence. Florence was only a cat. 1 but uprooted dozens of large mature oaks on our property. Cat 5 winds would toss those oaks around like toothpicks.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Some reports coming in from the islands are looking bad. Some of the smaller islands east of Abaco have been basically scrubbed clean. Marsh Harbor almost completely flooded. A large camp for Haitian illegals was there right next to port. Reports of numerous bodies floating in surge waters and in harbor. No power or water, comms only by sat phone. Grand Bahama still getting hammered so no reports yet. Sounds like everything south of that general area should be o.k. other than some minor wind damage and heavy rain.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    And the thing has slowed down to only 1 mph, so 5 hours to traverse 5 miles! That’s got to seem like hell as the winds and rain just keep coming with no let up.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Just curious. Did he have a special wristwatch for saltwater fishing?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom