Lawsuit filed, more video released after IMPD officer punches Shortridge student

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm guessing words were thrown in one direction, punches were thrown in the other. Body language "seems" non combative but we'll have to wait and see. I'm guessing a quick settlement is forthcoming.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm guessing words were thrown in one direction, punches were thrown in the other. Body language "seems" non combative but we'll have to wait and see. I'm guessing a quick settlement is forthcoming.

So far, the police chief appears to agree that the officer acted improperly. The video sure doesn't show the kid being aggressive. Supposedly the kid had been bullied at school and a fight had broken out as a result (maybe he was defending himself - not sure) and that's why the cops were called there in the first place.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Walking up on someone while hiking your pants is a threat on the streets.

So...? This isn't the streets and that's supposed to be a trained professional vs. a kid. I normally give the police a lot of slack in these instances, but IF that's all the kid was doing (and presumably running his mouth), then that cop was in the wrong and that family is about to hit the ghetto lottery.

I wasn't there, so I don't know, but it looks pretty bad from here.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Some punks just need to be hit.

Cameras are making it really difficult for cops to [STRIKE]have any fun[/STRIKE] do their jobs.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Cameras are making it really difficult for cops to [STRIKE]have any fun[/STRIKE] do their jobs.
    Like I said, we don't have all the info yet, but at first glance this kid looks more like the kid that allegedly "smirked" at the Native American dude than someone getting in the officer's face and provoking a response.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I honestly don't disagree with this in principal, but that's supposed to be (and used to be) Dad's job. We might be at a crossroads in society where we're asking cops to be parents too (like we are teachers), but until that law actually goes on the books, they can't be doing this...

I mean, I've lobbied that I, and other qualified people, should be allowed to issue 1 pistol whipping a month, as needed. So far, the state has ignored my requests. So, I can't go issuing the well deserved pistol whippings no matter how much I want. If you want to put it on the ballet and cops should be able to take their belt off and issue 10 lashes to ill mannered punks, I'd vote for it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Like I said, we don't have all the info yet, but at first glance this kid looks more like the kid that allegedly "smirked" at the Native American dude than someone getting in the officer's face and provoking a response.

What more info do you need? I don't think there's nothing that can mitigate a professional, being non-professional. He'll be in the unemployment line shortly.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The second video looks worse. The kid squared up, but it’ll be hard to justify punching him in the jaw. Another report indicated the officer had a different version of this story where the kid tried to hit him. I didn’t see that in either video. Tough row to hoe for the officer after those videos. The mom has let the kid down with her behavior, so whatever money comes of this lawsuit needs to be put in a trust for the kid only.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What more info do you need? I don't think there's nothing that can mitigate a professional, being non-professional. He'll be in the unemployment line shortly.
    Well, that's become the standard "INGO disclaimer" hasn't it? If you leave it out, then someone will be quick to come along and point out... wait for it... "that we don't have all the info."

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Back when I was 17 and knew everything , I used to argue with cops (and everyone else), but even then I knew better than to get right up in a man's face in the middle of an incident. Mostly for fear of getting knocked on my ass. Hmmm. Any chance Jr. could call this a learning experience and move on?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Back when I was 17 and knew everything , I used to argue with cops (and everyone else), but even then I knew better than to get right up in a man's face in the middle of an incident. Mostly for fear of getting knocked on my ass. Hmmm. Any chance Jr. could call this a learning experience and move on?

I didn't think the kid was "up in his face" from what the video showed though. Certainly no moreso than that Catholic kid was "up in the face" of the Native American dude awhile back. He appeared to be on a lower step even. Was it a good idea on his part? No, probably not. Did the officer overreact? In IMHO (and from the opinions of other LEO even here on INGO) yes. He certainly didn't follow his training.

I didn't expect him to be charged with battery, but I did expect him to lose his job over it (and probably face a civil suit).

Top Bottom