• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    A few years ago, a took a Liberty Safe Centurion safe with an S&G mechanical lock in on a trade deal.

Well, now I have no idea what the combo is. (You can go ahead and call me a dumbass now.... it is deserved.)

Any recommendations on locksmiths or other solutions?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I did the same thing several years ago. First I called the safe company and they said that they did not keep the records from that long back. Next I called an Indiana safe manufacturer and he said that he could drill out the mechanical lock and replace it with an electronic one. However, I ended up borrowing an electronic tumbler device from a friend. I hooked it up, and it dialed different combinations all night. By morning it had determined the combination - pretty cool.

IN71vet

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Noble County, IN
    Check Liberty Safe webpage. Sounds like a little bit of a hassle, but depends on if you want in, might be only way to go. Won't call you names as that won't help and everybody makes mistakes.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    A few years ago, a took a Liberty Safe Centurion safe with an S&G mechanical lock in on a trade deal.

Well, now I have no idea what the combo is. (You can go ahead and call me a dumbass now.... it is deserved.)

Any recommendations on locksmiths or other solutions?

Nice going Dumbass!

Liberty Safes does keep good records of their product. Do you have the serial number? Some safes it's on the outside (back or top corner) but usually inside on the door. Even without the number if you have any info of the original owner to give them or the last owner, if they transferred over. When you buy (even used) you can register your info as the owner in case of problems. Like this. Now days they even have (if you registered) an online combo recovery set-up.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Did you write it on the bottom of the safe?:n00b:

Bob

HA!
    While that may be funny, I know a guy that keeps his dial key and combo in a magnetic hide-a-key on the bottom of his gun safe. It's resting on some 4x4s so you can reach your hand in there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Call Liberty. If you're the registered owner they can get it open for you. If you're not the original owner, if you can contact him, the same may work out.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    If it's a Sargent and Greenleaf 6730 it would have consumer settable combination, how would Liberty be able to help if the combination had been changed?

This sounds similar to what HKIndiana referenced.
    v9vIcfLrmiA
    [video=youtube_share;v9vIcfLrmiA]https://youtu.be/v9vIcfLrmiA[/video]

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    HA!
    While that may be funny, I know a guy that keeps his dial key and combo in a magnetic hide-a-key on the bottom of his gun safe. It's resting on some 4x4s so you can reach your hand in there.

I wrote mine down, in tiny print, on a bare stud that you REALLY had to crane your neck around my water heater to read... and I did actually need it once (brain fart, I guess). I have since sold the house, leaving the combo to be a mystery set of numbers to be found by all of the future owners (or, potentially, none of them) for the rest of time.

----

In regard to suggestions... Did you lock the door with it open or shut? I mean, dumb question, but if it's open you have some more options...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If it's a Sargent and Greenleaf 6730 it would have consumer settable combination, how would Liberty be able to help if the combination had been changed?

v9vIcfLrmiA

Liberty knows the combos to their safes.
    Yes if a customer changed the combo and didn't update it with Liberty, then Liberty doesn't know it.

How many customers know they can change their own combos?
    How many customers know how to change their own combos?

I'm not seeing very many hands up....

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    ...How many customers know they can change their own combos?

Hmmm...my safe came with the S&G change tool and detailed instructions on how to accomplish the task. I raised both my hands, is that OK?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Just wondered if anyone has had the battery go dead on there safe and what did you do to open it?

Replaced the battery and resumed business as usual on a SecuRam. Even if the keypad goes bad on an electronic mechanism you can usually replace it without need to open the safe and resume where you left off.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

v9vIcfLrmiA

If it's electronic they will have a back door combo that they can share. Cue the back door comment3.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Liberty knows the combos to their safes.
    Yes if a customer changed the combo and didn't update it with Liberty, then Liberty doesn't know it.

How many customers know they can change their own combos?

:rockwoot:Not a liberty safe... but I've done this. Learned a whole bunch about how a safe operates in the process!
    --Rick

Top Bottom