Air compressor manifold, how clean should it be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Air compressor did not have a water air separator. My plan was to disconnect the manifold (regulator, pair of outlets, tank and regulator pressure gauges, safety valve) from the tank and plumb the separator in between the tank and the manifold. The fitting in the manifold had nothing to put a wrench on but was a 90, upon attempting to remove it things went sideways. It was apparently very soft metal as it twisted off with little torque. I proceeded to cut a slot in the remaining part and heat it to remove it but even it sheered off at the bottom of the slot I cut. Fast forward and i now own a 1/4 NPT tap and have drilled and tapped the manifold for a new fitting. Given that all of this has taken place before the regulator, how much effort do I need to put into removing shavings before reassembly? I have removed the tank pressure gauge, safety valve and a plug and have gotten the loose debris out but intend to wire brush as much as i can as well. Should i try to flush it out with water or a solvent? Don't really want to remove the regulator and other fittings if i don't have to.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    ...anything you don't want in your tools needs to go. For me, that means air and oil only. 0% anything else is what I aim for. I'd tear it all the way down for cleaning or just replace it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ...anything you don't want in your tools needs to go. For me, that means air and oil only. 0% anything else is what I aim for. I'd tear it all the way down for cleaning or just replace it.
    Commencing further disassembly and cleaning. I was mostly concerned about the inner workings of the regulator but I found some videos of my regulator and the pieces involved. I believe it shouldn't be a problem. Although I thought that when I started the project too. Now I'm buying new tools and parts to continue the project. :spend: Granted I'm always needing a larger adjustable wrench. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Commencing further disassembly and cleaning. I was mostly concerned about the inner workings of the regulator but I found some videos of my regulator and the pieces involved. I believe it shouldn't be a problem. Although I thought that when I started the project too. Now I'm buying new tools and parts to continue the project. :spend: Granted I'm always needing a larger adjustable wrench. :):

This is what drives the expansion of the mantool set. It is the way of things.

Top Bottom