• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Very carefully and very slowly. See "Costa Concordia".

It's not going anywhere this year, thats for sure.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On second thought, Its probably moving faster than the CC. US workers, even Union, work faster than Italians. They arent exactly known for the speed of work projects.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    4000 Kias and Hyundais are about to hit the used car market with zero miles and salvage titles.;)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    looks to be in about six feet of water or so, I suspect most of the cars are dry now. I'd love to see some video from inside and how they secure those vehicles. Just like a flatbed? Or parking break only? I've seen video of cars going overboard from a cargo ship in rough seas

[video=youtube;uM1TteaCxjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1TteaCxjg[/video]

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The article just says there was a fire on board? How does that cause it to capsize? Or was that the distraction that caused it to bottom out?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Every single car inside is lashed to the deck, they aren't just parked. This same thing happened in 2002 with the vessel M/V Cougar Ace and it was hauling almost 5k new Mazdas. The first time I saw a picture of it I was captivated and wanted to know more. It is a fantastic read from start to finish if you have the time. So much to consider, and so much loss. Mazda handled it the right way, IMHO, and I'd wager that which ever manufacturer has cars on board the Golden Ray will do something similar.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15388858/cougar-ace-the-great-103-million-snafu-at-sea/

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, I'm wondering about the center of gravity for the load and ballast. I am guessing this was a partial load (looked it up- has a capacity of almost 7,000 vehicles), so perhaps the partially offloaded in Jacksonville and Brunswick, leaving 4,000 vehicles more on the upper levels (for some reason), without offsetting with more ballast below? I'm purely speculating.

[ETA]

Sometimes my speculation is better than others.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15388858/cougar-ace-the-great-103-million-snafu-at-sea/
    Great article- I believe that history has repeated itself. Here are some quotes about an acident in 2006:
    And then things began to go wrong in a hurry. Before sailing into American waters, U.S. law requires that a ship’s ballast tanks be purged of the seawater taken on in foreign lands to avoid fouling local marine environments with nonnative species.
    Whether it was a mechanical failure or human error (MOL hasn’t said), that afternoon the water from the starboard ballast tanks was drained without being refilled simultaneously with fresh seawater. And so the top-heavy ship keeled over almost instantly and onto its port side. And that sent everything not strapped down—including its crew of two Singaporeans, eight Myanmars (a.k.a. Burmese), and 13 Filipinos—sliding along the steel decks.
    Rut Ro, Shaggy

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    One of the early reports said that it was listing to starboard but when it turned to head out to sea it rolled to its port side. Definitely a load master looking for a job right about now.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It seems like you’d just run down the deck as it rolled, but that may have gone quickly, and it’s probably 100’ wide at least. Would be terrifying to suddenly be falling 100’ after standing on a ship deck

and the primary instinct is probably to hold onto something

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    A few five gallon cans of paint and a sprayer adding the legend "The Creature From Jeckyll Island" would be kinda nice.

Top Bottom