Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Very good advice here!

Kids want discipline on top of needing it. They want to know exactly what is right and wrong. It is the parents JOB to provide this.

Sometimes all jobs suck, but you still have to do the job.
    Done right, you work your way out of a job and get to sit back and watch the (hopefully) rewarding results.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Eventually he's gonna run out of ammo. Even Cootie Spray didn't last forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah View Post
    "Don't be afraid of the enemy! Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes!" - Jerusalem 445 BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
    "If you don't have a gun, sell your coat and buy one." - Jerusalem April 14th, 30 AD - Thursday, 11:38pm IST
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
    INGO SUCKS.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    One other thing I noticed, "Consequences only upset him"

That's because the consequences aren't effective. I never thought, "I'm mad at my dad because he disciplined me ". I always thought, "That hurt. I shouldn't do that again!"
    Agree with this completely. My 6 year old son, although not perfect, is extremely well behaved and knows and follows rules very well. It's mostly because consequences upset him, and he would rather be happy. But he knows I don't care if he is upset when he is the one that caused the issue by not listening. He also knows the the consequences don't go away, very much the opposite. They grow until he gets the point. So he just listens the first time I tell him now.

Funny/relevant side note, my wife use to be an ultra softy. So one day I get home and my wife says my son wasn't listening to directions she had gave him. So I asked him "why is it that when I tell you something you say Yes sir and do what I tell you immediately but you test your mom?" he tells me "Dad because you don't play games, if you say do it and I don't then I know I'm in big trouble. Mom doesn't always do that." It was a great moment of honesty from him that showed my wife she needed to discipline more and be consistent. Also like rookie said if the consequence isn't working, it's probably not effective. For me personally, I never use that I'll count to 3 or timeout bs. You gotta find what really motivates them, lots of times a sore behind is the exact motivation they need.
    Last edited by 7.62; 09-13-2019 at 17:51.
    NRA - Benefactor Life Member, GOA - Member

User Info Menu

Return fire! https://nerf.hasbro.com/en-us/super-soaker

Yeah I know, no help. But FUN!!

You could use my exes approach "Don't make me get off my fat ass off this couch and be a parent"!!

There may be some editorial comments in there but you get the gist of it.
    Yes I am for gun control!! A firm grip, steady aim, and a gentle squeeze!!

What comes after your first "infraction"? Double Secret Probation perhaps???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    Agree with this completely. My 6 year old son, although not perfect, is extremely well behaved and knows and follows rules very well. It's mostly because consequences upset him, and he would rather be happy. But he knows I don't care if he is upset when he is the one that caused the issue by not listening. He also knows the the consequences don't go away, very much the opposite. They grow until he gets the point. So he just listens the first time I tell him now.
    A parent cannot afford to lose a battle of wills with a child. Never.

I get it. It's a pain. It seems like no fun around the house. That passes. As many times as the kid will challenge a parent, the parent must ALWAYS be willing to go one more time. It won't last forever. It will just seem like it. My oldest (22) and third child (16) are the strong willed ones and it was annoying to have to meet their challenges every time, but it was worth it. They generally do what is right now and we get along great. Being tough hasn't ruined our relationship if you are worried about that.

That being said, taking this approach from the beginning meant battles of the will occurred over 4, 5, 6 or 7 year olds' issues, not 15, 16 or 19. I can only imagine.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

If he were two or three years old, that would be hilarious. At five, he's probably too old to do that--or talking back, or any other displays of direct anger toward parents--without consequences. Belts are useful for more than one thing.
    "Do not overthink it, gentlemen. It's only a gunfight, not an IRS tax audit." - Louis Awerbuck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    A parent cannot afford to lose a battle of wills with a child. Never.

I get it. It's a pain. It seems like no fun around the house. That passes. As many times as the kid will challenge a parent, the parent must ALWAYS be willing to go one more time. It won't last forever. It will just seem like it. My oldest (22) and third child (16) are the strong willed ones and it was annoying to have to meet their challenges every time, but it was worth it. They generally do what is right now and we get along great. Being tough hasn't ruined our relationship if you are worried about that.

That being said, taking this approach from the beginning meant battles of the will occurred over 4, 5, 6 or 7 year olds' issues, not 15, 16 or 19. I can only imagine.
    When my oldest daughter (the strong willed one) was 2 years old, we decided to move her from the crib to a toddler bed. She never liked being put to bed, especially when me and the wife were still up. Shortly after putting her down, here she comes walking into the living room. I put her back to bed and told her to stay in the bed and don't get up. She did it a second time. I warned her again. Third time, she got a swat on the butt. This merry-go-round continued for another 21 swats before she finally gave in and stayed in bed. I had won.

She is 18 now, and I've never had an issue with her challenging me since then. Oh, she will challenge other people plenty. But not me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierdood View Post
    When my oldest daughter (the strong willed one) was 2 years old, we decided to move her from the crib to a toddler bed. She never liked being put to bed, especially when me and the wife were still up. Shortly after putting her down, here she comes walking into the living room. I put her back to bed and told her to stay in the bed and don't get up. She did it a second time. I warned her again. Third time, she got a swat on the butt. This merry-go-round continued for another 21 swats before she finally gave in and stayed in bed. I had won.

She is 18 now, and I've never had an issue with her challenging me since then. Oh, she will challenge other people plenty. But not me.
    I'll respectfully (and jokingly/non judgementally) argue that with that many swats, your punishment wasnt really effective. If it were, it would have been a low single digit count. She just got tired of the repeated trips and finally passed out on her own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    I'll respectfully (and jokingly/non judgementally) argue that with that many swats, your punishment wasnt really effective. If it were, it would have been a low single digit count. She just got tired of the repeated trips and finally passed out on her own.
    A win is a win.

Plinker

User Info Menu

1st rule young people should learn is not to mess with old people.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast