Anyone live near Indianapolis International Airport?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So proud but very nervous, my son, a sophomore will be going to FFA Nationals, they will be staying at the Crowne Plaza Airport location. There are 8 of them going and they are mostly Seniors. Trying to figure out if the area is safe? There are 3 teachers going and I have confirmed that two of them will be carrying as Indiana recognizes Tennessee's HGCL.

Any info would be appreciated.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm closer to the Indy airport than I am the Key West airport.

Unfortunately.

Yep, no problems in that area. N-o-t-h-i-n-g around there to get in trouble with.

Not that the FFA kids would cause it.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Man, them kids are treated great in Indy and they treat Indy great. Most polite young people I have ever been around. He will be very safe here....if he needs anything you do have a few people around that can help. Just let us know. When is this anyway?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    As others have said the area around the airport is fine. Where they need to look out is when they get downtown. A good rule of thumb is to be mindful not to venture too far out of the heart of downtown. To me that means staying south of 16th Street and north of Washington Street. Don't go any farther east than College Ave. or farther west that White River Park.

That 2-3 square mile section of downtown is relatively safe. Things get dicier when you get on the fringes.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Man, them kids are treated great in Indy and they treat Indy great. Most polite young people I have ever been around. He will be very safe here....if he needs anything you do have a few people around that can help. Just let us know. When is this anyway?

They are a good bunch of young citizens, there is a mix of kids some like my son are in ROTC as well. From what my son has said some of the boys have already told the young ladies that they will be watching out for them.

It is.at the end of October this year.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I worked many years downtown while various "conventions" were going on. The FFA convention is the ONLY one that didn't require 2-3 police officers on every street corner. Okay, maybe GenCon is in that category, too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As others have said the area around the airport is fine. Where they need to look out is when they get downtown. A good rule of thumb is to be mindful not to venture too far out of the heart of downtown. To me that means staying south of 16th Street and north of Washington Street. Don't go any farther east than College Ave. or farther west that White River Park.

That 2-3 square mile section of downtown is relatively safe. Things get dicier when you get on the fringes.

Yes, the Crown is far outside of walking distance from really anything since the new midfield terminal opened. No worries of thugs that live in the area because its a solid mile walk to get to the edge of the nearest residential neighborhood. They are safe there.

I'll also suggest they avoid the canal if its dark. Stay in groups and KEEP THE DAMN CELL PHONES IN POCKETS. Walking around downtown with an expensive smart phone out is an open invitation to have it stolen. They should be pretty safe downtown around the convention center, they just need to keep their heads up and on a swivel and walking with confidence.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Keep them from leaving the hotel to walk to the stop n robs on Lynhurst and they’ll be fine. I’m 8 minutes from the airport, less if the lights are all green. Downtown after dark requires vigilance, but all in all not too horrific.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wcd, getting info from locals is of course the best source. For future reference a tool that I use for unfamiliar areas is the Trulia real estate site. You have to find a residential property in the area map to center your search on (it can't be a commercial property but it also doesn't have to be for sale) and one of the options is a crime heat map of the nearby area, going back 6 months or more. Here is an example I pulled up just now, centered pretty much on IND. The whole map has a washed out look because most of it is overlaid with the color of the lowest crime rate (a sort of pale ice blue color). You can clearly see local pockets of higher crime in darker blues. The black dots only indicate property currently for sale, not incidents

View attachment 80014

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    They should stay out of the parking lots of White Castles in the wee hours. For that matter, anybody's parking lot.

Top Bottom