• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Looks like Northern Toll has finally made their way to Indiana. I saw a coming soon sign on the SW corner of 465 and Michigan Rd. After some digging it also looks like they are putting a store on the south east side just outside of the loop. I haven't shopped there much but am looking forward to them being in the area.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    When my brother lived in Minnesota I stopped there every time I went, they had a great bargain/closeout section. I wish there was one up here

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Will have to see how they compare to Wholesale Tool. I've shopped them online, and they seem pricey. I miss WT on the Southside. I also welcome some competition for HF.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's the one. I think it's a Mexican grocery or meat place now.

I spent thousands in there. They had quality materials for fabricating. Decent enough hand tools and mid level machines. Sanding/grinding/welding materials and supply's. Machinist tools and tooling. I tooled up the race trailer out of there. 2 heavy engine stands and we replaced our old worn out engine hoist from there.

We saw the end coming when they stopped re-stocking the shelves.
    I can do HF but the tools and some of the gear are not for those who will be actually working the stuff.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I spent thousands in there. They had quality materials for fabricating. Decent enough hand tools and mid level machines. Sanding/grinding/welding materials and supply's. Machinist tools and tooling. I tooled up the race trailer out of there. 2 heavy engine stands and we replaced our old worn out engine hoist from there.

We saw the end coming when they stopped re-stocking the shelves.
    I can do HF but the tools and some of the gear are not for those who will be actually working the stuff.

I think I only went to WT once and I think they were already nearing the end by then. Lots of empty shelves, and it gave me the impression of a back storage area of a business rather than a regular business. Definitely no fancy displays or anything. I like HF, especially when I need something that's probably only going to be used once, or at least very rarely. If I made my living with tools, it sure wouldn't be my first choice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think I only went to WT once and I think they were already nearing the end by then. Lots of empty shelves, and it gave me the impression of a back storage area of a business rather than a regular business. Definitely no fancy displays or anything. I like HF, especially when I need something that's probably only going to be used once, or at least very rarely. If I made my living with tools, it sure wouldn't be my first choice.

I have some specialty tools that may have only been used once for a specific job/task but they are waiting for me if I should go down that path again. HF has pneumatic stuff as in hoses air chucks and such that we use with fair results. Straight edges and polishing compounds etc.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've never been in a northern tool. How do they compare to Harbor? Is it cheaper stuff or do they do higher quality stuff also?

From what I've seen in the catalogs alone NT seems to be on a higher plain than HF. HF is definitely [STRIKE]littered[/STRIKE] stocked with disposable tools which of course you get what you pay for. Over the past year and a half I've replaced 8 high speed die grinders that I'm only using to cut and trim light sheetmetal. They do fail gloriously though!:rockwoot: Smoke, flame, sparks, screeches, you name it! It is a little unnerving to have that happen while in close quarters though. One smoked as soon as I hit the button so now I test them before leaving the store.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. So I need a 3 stone adjustable master/wheel cylinder hone. I have a few but can not find them. So I look on line and Northern says they have them available for in store pick up.
    CKW and I roll out and get to the new store (Northern Toll) on the south east side of Indy. Walk in and from the get go are disappointed in what we see and could not find in there. What a total joke. They did have men's work apparel. An entire wall of gloves and of course work boots. I did see 1 nice Lincoln welder and a crap load of Chinese stuff.
    CKW found a few things for her projects. At least it was not a total bust.

Not one Hone in the entire store. Nothing. The tool selection was geared for the weekend warrior not the pro mechanic so they need to change the name out front.

So we roll west and stop at Harbor freight. The had a full size cylinder hone at least but I have a selection of those. I need a brake hone.
    2 auto parts stores and still NADA.

Jumped on amazon and a 2 hone set (rough in and finish grit) will be in my hands on Tuesday.

I have a Northern Tools catalog. Do the on line. The stores are a joke.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    OK. So I need a 3 stone adjustable master/wheel cylinder hone. I have a few but can not find them. So I look on line and Northern says they have them available for in store pick up.
    CKW and I roll out and get to the new store (Northern Toll) on the south east side of Indy. Walk in and from the get go are disappointed in what we see and could not find in there. What a total joke. They did have men's work apparel. An entire wall of gloves and of course work boots. I did see 1 nice Lincoln welder and a crap load of Chinese stuff.
    CKW found a few things for her projects. At least it was not a total bust.

Not one Hone in the entire store. Nothing. The tool selection was geared for the weekend warrior not the pro mechanic so they need to change the name out front.

So we roll west and stop at Harbor freight. The had a full size cylinder hone at least but I have a selection of those. I need a brake hone.
    2 auto parts stores and still NADA.

Jumped on amazon and a 2 hone set (rough in and finish grit) will be in my hands on Tuesday.

I have a Northern Tools catalog. Do the on line. The stores are a joke.

Wait....What..... Lincolon makes welders,
    Miller and ESAB make nice welders....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wait....What..... Lincolon makes welders,
    Miller and ESAB make nice welders....

I just sold my Square wave Lincoln. I loved that machine as it did everything I needed it to do and was better than me at doing it. I kept my older unit as I may well never need it past pin/weld on a short AR barrel.
    I had a Miller portable and it was a great machine. Got tired of people asking to borrow it. "NO" was standard reply save for a couple of folks I knew would treat it right.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, I strolled through there. They are definitely hit and miss. An ENTIRE aisle of every imaginable wheel for wheelbarrows, dollys, furniture movers, etc. But do they sell extra tires for the trailers they sell? Nope. Had to go to TSC to get the spare for my boat trailer. SMH.

I liken them to the Walmart of tools. And Harbor Freight is the Kmart of tools. One has a bunch of cheap crap, the other has a bunch of worthless cheap crap.

I wasnt terribly impressed either. At least HF has better selection of utter crap to buy. LOL

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I strolled through there. They are definitely hit and miss. An ENTIRE aisle of every imaginable wheel for wheelbarrows, dollys, furniture movers, etc. But do they sell extra tires for the trailers they sell? Nope. Had to go to TSC to get the spare for my boat trailer. SMH.

I liken them to the Walmart of tools. And Harbor Freight is the Kmart of tools. One has a bunch of cheap crap, the other has a bunch of worthless cheap crap.

I wasnt terribly impressed either. At least HF has better selection of utter crap to buy. LOL

CKW made solid hits for her needs in both stores. I came up empty. I try and do the brick and mortar thing but man it is hard. I swear they are using woman purchasing agents.

No knock on you ladies but seriously....what is a master/wheel cylinder hone.
    You have 10 seconds.......:whistle:

OK times up.........:dunno:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    This is why I buy most things on Amazon. Even their junk brands have surprised me and they carry the "good stuff" too. I have a "Speedway" brand reversible air drill from Amazon must weigh double what my Dad's Mac does and it's 100% metal. Hard to complain for $30 or whatever it cost me.

My IR 1/2" impact and my Proto torque wrenches came from Bezo's forrest too. It's nice to be able to shop the cheap crap against the less crappier stuff at the same place. They're the same place I've been buying my SK stuff too for the same reason. X costs Y, but made in USA is only Z... so, Z wins a lot.

Anyhow... Tool hording is probably my most serious money hole, so, probably better that I've never been inside a NT store.

Top Bottom