Btown Rural
    source.gif

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Using an alternative search engine (to Google or Yahoo) is a good first step. A good second step is stop using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. completely. Then start using a VPN.

If you want anything approaching real privacy, you're going to have to stay offline completely and make sure that no one you know has your correct telephone number or name in any of their devices. Determined people will still be able to get information about you, but it will eliminate most of the casual intrusions.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have been using DDG for a few years. I have had a VPN for a few years as well. But I am still on FB. I also use gmail for my email.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lotta VPN's are being advertised now days. How much do these protect you from the dreaded Google?
    They don't.

"Internet privacy" doesn't exist. Just assume that everything you do is collected by someone. The real question is what will they do with it. Most simply advertise to you.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For those of you who enjoying reading. I would suggest reading "the art of invisibility"

It's a book written by a professional hacker, Kevin Mitnick.

Has lots of info about how people get your info and use it, as well as many ways on how to protect yourself.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Lotta VPN's are being advertised now days. How much do these protect you from the dreaded Google?

They don't.

"Internet privacy" doesn't exist. Just assume that everything you do is collected by someone. The real question is what will they do with it. Most simply advertise to you.

I'm kind of odd in that I have always treated ANYTHING that I have put in writing or posted or even viewed digitally as if everyone can see it.

Always worked under the assumption that there is no such thing as Internet privacy... :dunno:

What advantage does the VPN give you? Why would anyone pay for one?

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I suppose I should be more specific so as not to cause a panic, things you enter into forms and such can be, and most of the times are, secure. Only you and the party you're sending it to can read it. What others (ISP, Facebook, Google, Apple, etc...) can see is more general. Banking is easy to illustrate. The transactions you make on a bank website are perfectly secure just as if you went into a physical bank. What can be collected is that you went to a bank website, spent some time there, and may have clicked some links out from there also very similar to someone who watched you travel to your bank and subsequently leave. The whole process is not unlike the big hoopla about collecting mail information several years ago.

There are of course always exceptions in the form of rogue networks, malware, and other nastiest but you usually have to be doing something questionable to start with for those to be an issue.

The ONE place where a VPN of any sort is beneficial is public networks (Starbucks, Airport, Hotel, etc...). Using it will prevent basic hacking and snooping by others connected to the network. You don't have to pay for this though, you can likely setup a VPN to your home for free and accomplish the same results.

Ok, thought of a second. You can sometimes use a VPN to get around location blocking things. For example a site or service is not available in the US, if your VPN makes it look like you are in the EU, then you can access said site or service. This doesn't always work though as there are other ways to guess your location too.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

As noted, pretty much not at all. Unfortunately, computer security and privacy are complex and it requires multiple techniques and tools to be really good at it. Specific tools/techniques are needed to counter specific threats. Much like locks on your doors/windows are a form of home security, but they don't prevent house fires.

A VPN mostly prevents your Internet Service Provider (home, phone, misc. wireless services) from watching your browsing habits and being able to sell that info or provide it to the government. It also allows you to avoid site blocking and appear to be in a different location so it makes it much harder to track your true location (for Google or otherwise).

Google has many other tools to watch you: their cookies, javascript, explicit tools (gmail, search), embedded tools (captchas, analytics), browser fingerprinting (secretly identifying individual web browsers) are on the majority of web sites and at best you can block/avoid the majority of those and still have functional sites (believe me, I've trimmed as much as I can possibly get away with). *All* of those tools come right in via your web browser/phone over the VPN when requested by you. It takes other tools to block them- cookie blocking, javascript blocking, location hiding, ad blocking, and your own behavior and knowledge to avoid these spy tools. In addition, most apps on your phone collect and monetize information about your movements and data and it takes similar advanced steps to minimize data leaks there as well. Google is by far the worst, but there are *many* other data collectors out there. Most people's cell phones have multiple dozen 3rd parties being informed about your activities by apps you've downloaded. Here is an example popular Android game (50+ million downloads) that I quickly found with 13 trackers embedded in it.

Unfortunately your car, television, IOT devices (ex: doorbells (Ring), thermostats (Nest)), smart speakers (aka remote microphones),etc. are also transferring information about you to the owning companies, unknown third parties and multiple government agencies. Un-wired physical devices that you buy are exclusively your property and you get to control how it is used without the device reporting on you. Computer devices/services are frequently designed to visibly serve your needs while secretly reporting on you to other groups.

I wish it weren't so, or that one or a couple of simple tools would block all such monitoring, but it isn't nearly that simple. Sorry.

Last edited:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I just happened on the following graphic which shows a small part of what is going on with "smart devices":

HxIFaZz.jpg

Top Bottom