Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4651feeder View Post
    My favorite is the log cabin shed on shared property line with "English" neighbor that houses phone and/or freezer with utility bill paid by English and reimbursed by Amish.
    That seems overly complicated, many of the Amish in southern Indiana just have the electricity hooked up to the barn/shed on their own property and pay their bills with their smart phones.

User Info Menu

Were they listening to Weird Al?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There are different "sects" with different "rules".

Big deal.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post

Big deal.
    What kind of different rules to the sex?
    Ask not what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country. - President John F. Kennedy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hopper68 View Post
    Were they listening to Weird Al?
    Electric Amish perhaps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post

Big deal.
    Local bishops make the rules. So are very permissive, some not so much.

My Amish neighbor has a state of the art cabinet shop complete with CNC routers, phone line, and internet service. Oh, and a $60K bass boat that he finds Englishmen to tow to the lake for him.
    Necessity is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by two70 View Post
    That seems overly complicated, many of the Amish in southern Indiana just have the electricity hooked up to the barn/shed on their own property and pay their bills with their smart phones.
    This.

I live in Amish country and I have several Amish friends. One of them has a electric run through his house, a water bed and a man cave off the side of one of his barns with a big screen TV where the family watches Bears games every Sunday after church.

Every one of them I know has a cell phone.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rw02kr43 View Post
    Quite a few have stereo systems. Some of the houses have generators. The power doesn't come from the outside world, so it's okay. Same with batteries. I know of one house in Ohio that has an outhouse with a phone cable. The cable isn't going into the house, so it's okay. There's ways around all rules.

Bingo! Same around here.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rw02kr43 View Post
    Quite a few have stereo systems. Some of the houses have generators. The power doesn't come from the outside world, so it's okay. Same with batteries. I know of one house in Ohio that has an outhouse with a phone cable. The cable isn't going into the house, so it's okay. There's ways around all rules.
    Around here they all have cell phones. Its ok since there is no wire connecting it to the world. Ironically, lots more bad stuff on cell phones than youd ever get on a landline. We have Amish, Mennonite, and Baptists!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast