• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Spain builds submarine 70 tons too heavy after putting a decimal in the wrong place

HARTFORD, Conn. — A new, Spanish-designed submarine has a weighty problem: The vessel is more than 70 tons too heavy, and officials fear if it goes out to sea, it will not be able to surface.
    And a former Spanish official says the problem can be traced to a miscalculation — someone apparently put a decimal point in the wrong place.

Oof.

There's a bright side though; business for America:

A U.S. Navy contractor in Connecticut, Electric Boat, has signed a deal to help the Spanish Defence Ministry find ways to slim down the 2,200-ton submarine.

MAGA!

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    giphy.gif

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On a 2,000 ton sub, they might not have 70 tons of buoyancy.
    Of course, they actually should know exactly how much buoyance they have, since they designed/built it.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    See? The metric system sucks! :):

you type in purple but, this is America! we use inches, pounds, miles!...not decimal's, kilo's, or kilometers!...my ancestors didn't whoop the asses of the british for me to buy my weed and coke by the kilo!!!!!

ok now all kidding aside, I work in the printing industry, have all my life, and im the purchaser for my company, we print both newspapers and the gloss inserts that go in them, earlier this year the purchaser on the newspaper side took early retirement (huge shocker due to the stability and bright future the printing /newspaper industry has!) so I started doing the purchasing for the newspaper side, and imagine my shock when I found out newsprint was in metric, both in weight, and measurements!...even from the paper mills in America! (I kinda understand the Canadian mills being metric, but not the American mills!), so I buy my fine paper by the pound, my ink by the pound, my chemicals by the gallon, and my newsprint by the metric ton!

if I wanted to use the metric system...i'd been born a tea drinking, warm beer drinking, messed up teeth, god save the queen brit!

Top Bottom