Cass Co. Judge Rick Maughmer- killed in under car pinning accident.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Jack Stands...an important part of being under tons of various metals, plastic and leather...or tons of anything. He should have been past the young and stupid phase.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Had that very discussion with my Son helping him change his oil Sunday evening... ALWAYS use a set of jack stands. You don't know when/if that hydraulic jack will fail. Then instead of placing your chest under the wheel hub/disk brake, why not think about IF this comes down were would you might have a chance... Not under the hub which is going to hit the ground first.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This can be a lesson for us all. Especially the highly educated and seasoned folks among us that have lost familiarization with being wrong or making mistakes.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    That's a shame, such a preventable way to go.

As a volunteer firefighter/EMT I was once called out for a "man trapped under vehicle" call. Midweek/midday, everybody at work, none of the other members were immediately available so I headed out with our engine (had all the rescue tools) by myself and asked dispatch to tone out the next closest fire department for mutual aid.

The guy had decided to change oil or something on the bottom of the engine, and had in fact put his car up on jackstands. His car was next to the street in the right of way where he usually parked, so no grass. The problem is our area of Texas, just south of the Guadalupe River, is very sandy (our fire department is named after the sand hills), and the jackstands were being slowly pushed into the stand as he worked -- until the bottom of the car was pressing on his chest and he couldn't get out. Luckily his buddy, who had been passing him important parts of the repair, like the six or eight beer cans I noted under the car, was nearby and called 911.

I shoved some cribbing under the car to keep it from sinking any further or (falling on him when I lifted the car), broke out the hydraulic spreaders, and eased up the car a little bit so he could wriggle out. That's when the rest of the cavalry arrived.

He was a happy camper the whole time, was giggling and joking with me as I scrambled around to get everything in place. I was nowhere near as jovial as he was, but then I hadn't had eight beers either.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My old firm represented the plaintiff in this case:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/in-court-of-appeals/1053223.html

Long story short, a guy was changing the oil on a 1996 Saturn, car rolled off of jack, car came to rest on his chest, killed him.

Using a jack without other support was found to be a misuse of the product. I concur.

However, it's even worse. I own a 1996 Saturn. To change the oil easily and quickly, you take the right front wheel off, but at no time do you have to slide your body under the car- none. Completely unnecessary. I've done this job numerous times.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My old form represented the plaintiff in this case:

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/in-court-of-appeals/1053223.html

Long story short, a guy was changing the oil on a 1996 Saturn, car rolled off of jack, car came to rest on his chest, killed him.

Using a jack without other support was found to be a misuse of the product. I concur.

However, it's even worse. I own a 1996 Saturn. To change the oil easily and quickly, you take the right front wheel off, but at no time do you have to slide your body under the car- none. Completely unnecessary. I've done this job numerous times.

That's one thing I like about my old Dodge Ram 4x4. It sits up high enough that no jack is required. I can lay on my side underneath it. I always use jack stands for the other vehicles though, including for the work I've been doing to my riding mower.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Very unfortunate way to go. I used to change my oil. Jack stands, ramps. chokes. I don't do that anymore. With coupons and specials you can get a decent price for an oil change. Our vehicles are a 2016 and 2019 from the same dealer. Just take it to the dealer.

Top Bottom