• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Anybody else watching for the International Space Station? It will be visible from my area (south Indy) tonight for 5 minutes starting at 8:46. It will appear SSW and disappear ENE. Weather permitting, of course. It is readily visible with the naked eye and looks like a star except it's moving across the sky very rapidly. The longest it has ever been visible from here is 6 minutes, horizon to horizon.

You can sign up for notifications here
    [FONT=&amp]https://spotthestation.nasa.gov[/FONT]

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I had a friend who had riding in a semi to California and back on his bucket list. He was also a big Space Shuttle fan. So, he would figure out where we were going to be each night and when we could see it, and we pulled over on a ramp and watched it from horizon to horizon. I guess it’s a learned skill as he saw it first every time! It was a pretty big deal to him to see it in other places than just Wisconsin. I have not looked for it since. While cool, 6 nights in a row I got my fill I guess.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Anybody else watching for the International Space Station? It will be visible from my area (south Indy) tonight for 5 minutes starting at 8:46. It will appear SSW and disappear ENE. Weather permitting, of course. It is readily visible with the naked eye and looks like a star except it's moving across the sky very rapidly. The longest it has ever been visible from here is 6 minutes, horizon to horizon.

You can sign up for notifications here
    [FONT=&amp]https://spotthestation.nasa.gov[/FONT]
    Yep, I’ve been getting the text messages for a couple years now. Cool to go out late at night and find it.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    We saw it last weekend for 20 whole seconds. About 5-8 years ago we saw it very high up and got to see almost horizon to horizon. It lasted over a minute and was very cool.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    you can see it every few nights if you have a satellite orbit app like orbitrack. I saw it by chance a couple nights ago by chance on a low lat pass. ive seen it in my telescope which is cool. my goal is to photo it against the moon. ive also listened in on the ham radio as the astronauts had an event talking w/ school kids.

-rvb

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I like to watch it and enjoy it. Tonight's magnitude is supposed to be-2.9. That's pretty bright. I use an app on my android that's called "ISS Detector" Free on the Goode Play Store. It gives a lot of information and also sends notifications.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Wow it was really bright and fast. I was able to watch it for close to 4 minutes I'd say. I've seen it before but never that bright.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Wow it was really bright and fast. I was able to watch it for close to 4 minutes I'd say. I've seen it before but never that bright.

Yeah it was moving quick. I let my kids stay up to see it, and they thought it was cool. They kept saying, "it's a spaceship with rockets, that's why it's so bright."

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Damn! Missed the opportunity.:noway: I did however have an opportunity to witness the shuttle re-entering the earth's atmosphere early one morning before sunrise. I didn't know what it was when I saw it but there was a line of fire that ran across the horizon from west to east and was visible for several minutes. I found out a few days later that the shuttle had re-entered that day and that the trail of fire was the plasma trail left behind as the shuttle encountered the thickening atmosphere. Stuff like that is extremely cool when you get to see it because you realize later that it's a rare occasion and not that many people will have had the opportunity to see it

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yeah it was moving quick. I let my kids stay up to see it, and they thought it was cool. They kept saying, "it's a spaceship with rockets, that's why it's so bright."

One of the granddaughters was calling it a spaceship.

My wife said it's not a spaceship. I said technically it is a spaceship.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Really blow their minds. Tell them how fast its moving. 17,000mph. or 5 miles every second.

Top Bottom