• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So my sons New 2 day old phone was stolen at school. Suspect had been identified, arrested and smashed phone recovered. So now we have a Galaxy 10 which due to our lifestyle was purchased and paid for, and is now useless sitting on evidence hold.

Although it was in no way shape or form any of my sons fault the phone was stolen. it was taken 5th block ROTC by one of the POS Freshmen, whose parents thought it would be a good idea for him to get involved in the program. Fast forward we were thinking of using one of my wife's old phones, but they were replaced for a reason ie battery life etc.

So I got on Amazon and it looks like you can get a refurbished I Phone with a 90 day warranty and no questions asked return policy. My thought it that this is the way to go for a short term solution?

Has anyone purchased a phone on line and had success getting it activated? Verizon is the carrier.

Thanks

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have started buying refurbs online. Cheaper and have had no problems so far.

My youngest bought a G10. Dropped it on the grass at a corn maze last weekend and nicked the screen. She paid $950 for the phone. Meh, her money.

If your other phones just have bad batteries buy new ones. Do a factory reset and have at it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Refurb are the way to go. Fraction of the cost for a disposable device. Hardware is powerful enough that even a couple generations ago have plenty of processing power.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Back when the Galaxy 7S was the current model, Verizon wanted $800 for one, and I got a new, unlocked one for less than half that on feebay. Verizon activated it no problem. You should be able to get one a couple of generations back, real cheap.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I started a thread a while back that somewhat addresses this issue.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...468967-burner-phones.html?468967=#post7933014

I ultimately ended up with two ebay refurb Galaxy S7 Active phones (cosmetic issues,) for just over $100.

It's obviously shorter term, depending on how long they will be updated. As far as I can tell, there is very little the older phone/OS can do that most everything new can?

I like the phones a lot and I really like the piece of mind knowing I have a quick, already set up, backup.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I’m using a new TCL that cost me $32. ‘Course, I do crazy things with mine like phone calls, texting, e-mail and light web browsing.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've had good luck with refurbished phones. The phone I use now was about $250. Does all the "smart" stuff I need it to do. I'm on Att so can't help you on activation stuff.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I've bought a number of refurbished Samsung phones for work on Amazon from reputable sellers. Not a single issue. I don't think I've paid more than $150 for a refurb.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Just be careful with iPhones. From what I'm told, Apple likes to force obsolescence of previous generation phones with every new operating system update and they're not optional. I've heard things about older iPhones suddenly starting to run slow or the battery life will start to suffer immediately following an iOS update. Android manufacturers simply stop releasing updates for older models, so at a certain point they won't get new features, but they also won't be crippled. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Just be careful with iPhones. From what I'm told, Apple likes to force obsolescence of previous generation phones with every new operating system update and they're not optional. I've heard things about older iPhones suddenly starting to run slow or the battery life will start to suffer immediately following an iOS update. Android manufacturers simply stop releasing updates for older models, so at a certain point they won't get new features, but they also won't be crippled. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a Samsung J series I bought in 2015 that eventually slowed down enough that I bought an A6. It still worked but it got to the point you couldnt run google maps and pandora at the same time on android auto on my 2017 Escape. The A6 from what I was told is an S series without the hype.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere

Technically Apple denies that it is intentional that their updates cause this issue, but considering they're a large tech company it is fairly reasonable to presume they are lying through their teeth.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With regards to "activation" the service isn't tied to a phone anymore, it's tied to the sim card. So long as it fits and the phone supports the radio frequency used by the carrier it will work. You would have to actively try to find a high end device that does not support all major carriers. Just swap the sim and you'll be ready to go.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Technically Apple denies that it is intentional that their updates cause this issue, but considering they're a large tech company it is fairly reasonable to presume they are lying through their teeth.

That's what I love about Android. They phone manufacturers only allowed a little leeway in modifying the base Android OS, so they can't get away with that, and even if they did, you could simply root the phone and use a custom ROM. Apple can do whatever shady crap they want with iOS.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My "new to me" unlocked AT&T S10+ would not unlock from AT&T yesterday. AT&T said there was a balance due on the imei.

I had to take it to a used phone retailer that had a tricked out SIM card. They got me onto Verizon.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    With VZW, you can activate the phone insurance retroactively for a few days to reconsider. Or start it up and give it a day or two before you file the claim. only downside is you do have to carry it for a year or two and if you cancel, can't sign up again for a few years. Just an option and not one without drawbacks.

I may or may not have done something like that with my first smartphone, years ago when I got it and didn't want to bend over buying the otterbox at the VZW store and told myself I didn't need the insurance since I hadn't broken a phone in years. Got it, went to a movie with family, and dropped it falling on black ice on the way out of the show. Was going to go to another store to get the case after the movie. sonova... got home, called them up and said I wanted the insurance after all, filed a claim on it the next morning. reading the fine print on it, they said you could sign up a few days after the contract like that.

Top Bottom