• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Anyone have any advice on where to get a truck re-geared?

I have 2013 Silverado with 3.08 gearing, which was fine for my utility trailer, and even my livestock trailer. Now I have a 24 foot travel trailer, and it sucks bad. I’d love to swap to 3.73, or 4.10.

Any advice would be appreciated, I’d hate to have to drop $45k on a new truck, when mine only has 48,000 miles on it, and it’s paid off.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    In the old days you would have to do some swapping on Speedo years to get the speedometer to read correctly, now will require recalibrating.

Is this 2wd or 4wd? If 4wd you will need to swap both to the same ratio.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The actual work to do the gear swap is not all that bad if you know your way around the drive train. I am not sure how the speed re-calibration would be handled. Utube is you friend here.

Any competent shop should be able to handle the swap but remember if this is a daily driver everything changes. MPG will drop noticeably. The 3.73 is not a tremendous change but without the trailer in tow the truck will have a crap load of scat it never had before. And interstate will have the engine wound up higher.

The 4.10 will be a huge leap in gearing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My truck is 4wd.

Not to concerned about mileage, since I mainly drive a company van, and put few miles on my truck.

Then this will be a X2 deal. Both diff's have to be re-geared.
    You might be surprised what a 3.73 will do for you.
    But then again what does the trailer weigh in at.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Do you have the 6spd or 4spd? Do you have stock sized tires? You can buy a programmer to recalibrate for 3.73 not sure about the 4.10. I have an 08 with 4.56 gears and my abs light stays on with a programmer. Also if you have a g80 in the rear end might as well replace that too. I'm a mechanic so I did it myself cost me around $1600 for gears, install kits, Detroit locker, and programmer. If you have the know how it'll take you a full day due to the IFS. Theres added benefits with programmer you can shut off your afm and the torque derate that is programmed into these trucks that would help a lot with pulling your trailer.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have a 04 Suburban 3/4 ton 3.73 6.0 4 speed auto. Ill bet with the double overdrive of the 6 speed your rpms with 4,07 would be about the same as mine with the 373 on the highway. It does great with open trailers no matter what the weight but mileage and acceleration really suffers with the aerodynamics of my 14 and 24ft enclosed trailers. If changing gears I would recommend 4.09 I don't know if this is still true but years ago the 1/2 tons came stock with a rather weak 10 bolt and some towing package trucks came with a much more robust 14bolt 6 lug axle. If it is still true with your series truck I would look to upgrade to the 14 bolt if you don't have one. Replacing the entire axle with a stock 14 bolt salvage yard axle if the ratio is correct might be a wash cost wise.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a 04 Suburban 3/4 ton 3.73 6.0 4 speed auto. Ill bet with the double overdrive of the 6 speed your rpms with 4,07 would be about the same as mine with the 373 on the highway. It does great with open trailers no matter what the weight but mileage and acceleration really suffers with the aerodynamics of my 14 and 24ft enclosed trailers. If changing gears I would recommend 4.09 I don't know if this is still true but years ago the 1/2 tons came stock with a rather weak 10 bolt and some towing package trucks came with a much more robust 14bolt 6 lug axle. If it is still true with your series truck I would look to upgrade to the 14 bolt if you don't have one. Replacing the entire axle with a stock 14 bolt salvage yard axle if the ratio is correct might be a wash cost wise.

My half ton 4WD has the towing package and has 6 lug wheels. Never counted how many bolts are in the diff cover but I have had it off a few times to drain and change the lube. 04 Sierra.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I'd go 4.10 since you have the 6spd. Fuel mileage will suffer I dont know what your getting now but I went from 15mpg to 11.5mpg after lift kit, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, deleting active fuel management, and I have close to 500lbs of tools a 500lbs welder and 2 toolboxes so I dont think 11+mpg is bad.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll say it. Sell the chevy and buy a Ford. If it has problems towing 5k lbs that's sad. Not to mention the chevy 6spd auto is garbage

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'll say it. Sell the chevy and buy a Ford. If it has problems towing 5k lbs that's sad. Not to mention the chevy 6spd auto is garbage

Ooooo......rough crowd. :joke:

My 04 towed a fully loaded 28' enclosed trailer (drag race team) that exceeded the rated tow for the truck. Never missed a beat. Just saying.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ooooo......rough crowd. :joke:

My 04 towed a fully loaded 28' enclosed trailer (drag race team) that exceeded the rated tow for the truck. Never missed a beat. Just saying.

I hear ya but OP says his is struggling with a 5k trailer as it sits. I'll also say as crappy as the 4l60e trans(your 04) is the 6l80 trans is worse. These 6spd transmissions that chevy offers makes Dodges transmissions look good, and that's not a compliment to either manufacturer

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hear ya but OP says his is struggling with a 5k trailer as it sits. I'll also say as crappy as the 4l60e trans(your 04) is the 6l80 trans is worse. These 6spd transmissions that chevy offers makes Dodges transmissions look good, and that's not a compliment to either manufacturer

In truth I service my trans at least every other summer. When we towed with it we did every summer. Complete fluid change out. I dont tow with it anymore.
    I believe my Truck has a 3.40-ish gear in it but it has been a long while since I even cared about that. Not sure how the 5.3 would have done with that full house trailer if it had a 3.08 in it.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I have an 08 4l60e with 225,000 on it and has towed way over what it should all its life I've never changed the oil. Have a 95 4l80e with 300k+ odometer quit working never had a problem with either of them. Now transfer case is a different story rebuilt both of them once.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have an 08 4l60e with 225,000 on it and has towed way over what it should all its life I've never changed the oil. Have a 95 4l80e with 300k+ odometer quit working never had a problem with either of them. Now transfer case is a different story rebuilt both of them once.

Yes we had to replace the transfer case but we can and will blame this on owner operator idiocy. I have changed that pretty blue fluid in it once since this happened.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    In truth I service my trans at least every other summer. When we towed with it we did every summer. Complete fluid change out. I dont tow with it anymore.
    I believe my Truck has a 3.40-ish gear in it but it has been a long while since I even cared about that. Not sure how the 5.3 would have done with that full house trailer if it had a 3.08 in it.

That's where a lot of people screw up. Trans fluid is an extremely light weight oil, it should be serviced every 12k miles in my opinion. Service your transmission once a year and you can definitely extend its life. It won't help with the bad engineering and the manufacturers failure to upgrade common failures thru the years, but it will definitely help with overheating and just regular lubrication issues In general.

I'm actually surprised any manufacturer would offer 3.05 gears, especially in a 4x4, but I guess they we're trying to meet those mpg standards that our previous potus wanted implemented

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's where a lot of people screw up. Trans fluid is an extremely light weight oil, it should be serviced every 12k miles in my opinion. Service your transmission once a year and you can definitely extend its life. It won't help with the bad engineering and the manufacturers failure to upgrade common failures thru the years, but it will definitely help with overheating and just regular lubrication issues In general.

I'm actually surprised any manufacturer would offer 3.05 gears, especially in a 4x4, but I guess they we're trying to meet those mpg standards that our previous potus wanted implemented

When you re involved in racing and run 2 drag cars with autos it is imperative these be serviced. We do the diff's on all the trucks on a 3 year schedule since we stopped towing. Fact is they are due this fall.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    3.73 would be about 18% change in engine RPM.

4.10 would be 25%. That's a big jump.

Parts are pretty cheap. Should be able to get gears and install kit for $300 or so for each axle. Labor is the killer, if you hire it out. Not too many shops deal with ring and pinion installs, but they are out there.

If I remember right, no need to change carriers. Saves some $$$.

Resetting the speedo is easy, just need a programmer. A dealership can likely do it for a charge. Some shops may have a programmer. You can buy one as well. Cheap ones will let you change the gear ratio. Expensive ones have all kinds of settings.

Top Bottom