Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Getting a truck re-geared?

Anyone have any advice on where to get a truck re-geared?

I have 2013 Silverado with 3.08 gearing, which was fine for my utility trailer, and even my livestock trailer. Now I have a 24 foot travel trailer, and it sucks bad. Id love to swap to 3.73, or 4.10.

Any advice would be appreciated, Id hate to have to drop $45k on a new truck, when mine only has 48,000 miles on it, and its paid off.

User Info Menu

In the old days you would have to do some swapping on Speedo years to get the speedometer to read correctly, now will require recalibrating.

Is this 2wd or 4wd? If 4wd you will need to swap both to the same ratio.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

The actual work to do the gear swap is not all that bad if you know your way around the drive train. I am not sure how the speed re-calibration would be handled. Utube is you friend here.

Any competent shop should be able to handle the swap but remember if this is a daily driver everything changes. MPG will drop noticeably. The 3.73 is not a tremendous change but without the trailer in tow the truck will have a crap load of scat it never had before. And interstate will have the engine wound up higher.

The 4.10 will be a huge leap in gearing.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

My truck is 4wd.

Not to concerned about mileage, since I mainly drive a company van, and put few miles on my truck.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nate77 View Post
    My truck is 4wd.

Not to concerned about mileage, since I mainly drive a company van, and put few miles on my truck.
    Then this will be a X2 deal. Both diff's have to be re-geared.
    You might be surprised what a 3.73 will do for you.
    But then again what does the trailer weigh in at.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

Plinker

User Info Menu

Do you have the 6spd or 4spd? Do you have stock sized tires? You can buy a programmer to recalibrate for 3.73 not sure about the 4.10. I have an 08 with 4.56 gears and my abs light stays on with a programmer. Also if you have a g80 in the rear end might as well replace that too. I'm a mechanic so I did it myself cost me around $1600 for gears, install kits, Detroit locker, and programmer. If you have the know how it'll take you a full day due to the IFS. Theres added benefits with programmer you can shut off your afm and the torque derate that is programmed into these trucks that would help a lot with pulling your trailer.

User Info Menu

The trailer weighs 5000 pounds, I chose it because it is light.

Truck is a six speed.

Thanks

Expert

User Info Menu

I have a 04 Suburban 3/4 ton 3.73 6.0 4 speed auto. Ill bet with the double overdrive of the 6 speed your rpms with 4,07 would be about the same as mine with the 373 on the highway. It does great with open trailers no matter what the weight but mileage and acceleration really suffers with the aerodynamics of my 14 and 24ft enclosed trailers. If changing gears I would recommend 4.09 I don't know if this is still true but years ago the 1/2 tons came stock with a rather weak 10 bolt and some towing package trucks came with a much more robust 14bolt 6 lug axle. If it is still true with your series truck I would look to upgrade to the 14 bolt if you don't have one. Replacing the entire axle with a stock 14 bolt salvage yard axle if the ratio is correct might be a wash cost wise.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Butch627 View Post
    I have a 04 Suburban 3/4 ton 3.73 6.0 4 speed auto. Ill bet with the double overdrive of the 6 speed your rpms with 4,07 would be about the same as mine with the 373 on the highway. It does great with open trailers no matter what the weight but mileage and acceleration really suffers with the aerodynamics of my 14 and 24ft enclosed trailers. If changing gears I would recommend 4.09 I don't know if this is still true but years ago the 1/2 tons came stock with a rather weak 10 bolt and some towing package trucks came with a much more robust 14bolt 6 lug axle. If it is still true with your series truck I would look to upgrade to the 14 bolt if you don't have one. Replacing the entire axle with a stock 14 bolt salvage yard axle if the ratio is correct might be a wash cost wise.
    My half ton 4WD has the towing package and has 6 lug wheels. Never counted how many bolts are in the diff cover but I have had it off a few times to drain and change the lube. 04 Sierra.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

Plinker

User Info Menu

I'd go 4.10 since you have the 6spd. Fuel mileage will suffer I dont know what your getting now but I went from 15mpg to 11.5mpg after lift kit, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, deleting active fuel management, and I have close to 500lbs of tools a 500lbs welder and 2 toolboxes so I dont think 11+mpg is bad.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast