• ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys.

Being in the heartland of America, I think many of us have an appreciation for good whisk[e]y. I was wondering if you guys had any insight on good places to find strange or hard to find whisk[e]ys and bourbons. I'm young and inexperienced, but I've taken quite the liking to buffalo trace's offerings. I especially like the E.H. Taylor stuff, but I haven't found any in Indiana (I had to get mine in Boston). As I attempt to expand my palette, I'd love advice or hints on where to find new options. E.H. four spirits and tornado are near the top of my list, but I've been searching for old forester birthday recently. Any of the vintage options from buffalo trace would be awesome as well. Are there any good spots to find these? Are there any good bourbons that you guys would recommend? What do you wish you were told when you were younger and getting into the hobby?

Thank you for your time. -Ben

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Howdy guys.

Being in the heartland of America, I think many of us have an appreciation for good whisk[e]y. I was wondering if you guys had any insight on good places to find strange or hard to find whisk[e]ys and bourbons. I'm young and inexperienced, but I've taken quite the liking to buffalo trace's offerings. I especially like the E.H. Taylor stuff, but I haven't found any in Indiana (I had to get mine in Boston). As I attempt to expand my palette, I'd love advice or hints on where to find new options. E.H. four spirits and tornado are near the top of my list, but I've been searching for old forester birthday recently. Any of the vintage options from buffalo trace would be awesome as well. Are there any good spots to find these? Are there any good bourbons that you guys would recommend? What do you wish you were told when you were younger and getting into the hobby?

Thank you for your time. -Ben

"Don't." ;)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You'd think, being Kentucky adjacent, we'd be able to find some of this stuff a little easier.:rolleyes:

I finally got the bottle of Blanton's I wanted. My daughter brought it home from 29 Palms, California.

And if Blanton's is on your list, don't kill yourself trying. IMHO, it's overrated and frequently overpriced.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    If you find yourself in Tippecanoe county, Village Bottle Shoppe and Bedrock Liquors have had some pretty rare stuff. Seen Rip Van Winkle at Bedrock and seen Whistle Pig 15yr old rye at VBS. Theure both close to Purdue so they normally have great selections.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I can go find pappy, blantons, eh taylor, weller, elmer t lee, etc, right now. But they will all be marked up.
    Thats the problem, finding it all at retail. If you do, buy it. If you snooze you lose.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Someone can have a wonderful hobby that is very similar--but much cheaper--by choosing to instead seek out top quality rums instead of bourbons.
    But then we’d all have to run around with umbrellas in our drinks, talking like pirates, asking young ladies to surrender the booty? On second glance, let’s go get some rum!

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Thanks for the advice guys! I actually love dark rums. I have a bottle of ron zacapa solerma and had a bottle of zaya that I really enjoyed. Rum might (maybe 60/40 vs whiskey) be my favorite spirit, but as I try to find more unique bourbons I find that they are more challenging to find. I'll look into the big red and vine and table stores. I don't think that I've been to big red since I was using a fake ID (7+ years ago). E.H. Taylor is currently a frontrunner in my bourbon collection, as I have the single barrel and small batch and they are both amazing. I appreciate you guys trying to help a newcomer and fellow enthusiast out.

-Thank you for your time. Ben

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Many Big Red Liquors have E.H. Taylor.

I've had good luck at Crown Liquors, on 106th and Michigan, finding EH Taylor. I've found it on multiple occasions in the last 12-18 months.

I also use an app called Drizly, which does a decent job of letting you locate liquor near you. It's an alcohol delivery service, so you can choose a store and browse their inventory. They claim some semblance of "real time" available inventory. It's not 100% accurate, but I browse through it quickly looking at bourbon and IPAs at a few different liquor stores, and I have had good luck finding harder to get items. Occasionally it's sold before I get there, but I've had about 80% success rate (you could have it delivered as well). The service isn't available everywhere, but Crown and Big Red in Indy seem to partner with them. Easier to quickly browse on your couch then drive to the store to be disappointed, and it's really convenient for people who aren't treasurer hunters. You won't find Pappy, but you will find mid-tier, not readily available offerings (EH Taylor).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom