• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Since we are not shopping at Wal-Mart Aldi is filling the gap. Today my wife stops in grabs a few things, including a off the hook good chocolate moose cake. For like $5.00!

I read labels so on the package it says imported from Germany! So how does a frozen cake get made in Germany, travel over seas and end up at Aldi's in Tennessee for $5.00?

How can there be any profit in that? The logistics must be something!

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Most of the products you buy are made in Asia, yet they can often be extremely inexpensive. I can't speak to Aldi's completel business model, but they keep prices low by selling mostly generic items. And, they don't really advertise - at least not in the way their competetors do.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Aldi's originated in Germany. During the holidays you can get some good German treats. The Aldi stores split between 2 sons. The stores are now Aldis and Trader Joe's. Aldi produces their own food and it's supposed to be healthy. Most think Aldi as a cheaper store with no brand names. They have a good business model that keeps down costs, and produce their own food.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Oh wow. That reminds me of first moving up to Illinois back around 1989. There was fajitas in the meat section for like five bucks a pound. I remarked that was enough to make a fella go back to poaching. The gray haired little old lady with the shopping cart next to me looked up and said "It's been thirty years since I heard that".

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We enjoy shopping at Aldi every week. The meat is good, and in good shape, and packaged very well....they have the best fresh dill pickles I have ever tired. Said good bye to Claussen (Kraft Foods) pickles for good...my family has shopped at Aldi for close to 40 years. When the boys were young and ate their weight in food almost every day, we lived at Aldi. If they only sold ammo.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I LOVE Aldi. They don't carry everything I need so I occasionally have to go to another grocery store or Walmart, but I buy 99% of my groceries at Aldi. They have some very good products, and the store is always clean. It has improved a lot over the years. I remember going there years ago and it was dirty and the selection was not good at all. A couple of friends kept telling me how great it was so I tried it again a couple years ago and it has become my main store. I avoid Walmart as much as humanly possible, but it is the only place I can get canned cat food and Kitty Litter for a reasonable price so I go in for that when needed. I do have another store I plan to check for those items though so maybe I can eliminate Walmart completely.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I miss Aldi, I shopped there almost exclusively when I was at USI. Now that I'm living back around home I only get to go there on the occasional trip to Evansville,

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yep, Aldi has been my go-to for years. It's the only place I buy half-and-half for my coffee. Less than $2 a quart, and has a shelf life of at least six weeks or so, so I can stock up. As mentioned, their chocolate is delicious. They have a large milk chocolate bar for 99 cents (with a blue label) that's as big as four regular Hershey bars. One square of it makes a nice little treat. Their breakfast cereal is also good and cheap. They have a good selection of granolas and meuslis.

My favorite is their thick-cut bacon. Relatively cheap compared to other stores, and consistently good. I like the applewood best. They used to have maple, but I haven't seen it lately. One funny thing about the bacon is that they must have two different co-packers, because sometimes the bacon comes in ziploc type packages, and other times it doesn't. Been this way for years.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I read labels so on the package it says imported from Germany! So how does a frozen cake get made in Germany, travel over seas and end up at Aldi's in Tennessee for $5.00?

The cake mix is imported directly from Germany. The water and heat are added later then it is all frozen.

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN
    Aldi has come a looong way. Today they are mostly organic, high quality stuff at best price. Wine section decent and special purchase items a steal. Just updated the decor too.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    My wife and I love Aldi's. We are fortunate as we have one by our house and close by where we work. They carry some cool stuff. There are salsas by the famous chef Rick Bayless that are awesome. We found a roasted habanero salsa that is outstanding in flavor and heat. Last Thanksgiving we served their coffee after the meal. Folks were raving how good it was.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    They have the chips of my people!

jahU9vu.jpg

I get a nice big eyeroll from my daughter with that one. That's teenager for lol.

Top Bottom