• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Anyone ever have an interview question that you just didn't have an answer for? And can't be solved with "I don't have the answer but I can get you one as soon as possible". I am working on getting on another volunteer fire dept since my past one was meh and this one gets way more calls like 4x as many. Any way I'm in the interview and im asked what should have been an expected question," why do you want to be a firefighter"...um the cool hat. I really didn't have a good answer because I've never thought about it. I just do I have wanted to be a cop and fireman my whole life. It's just there in the back of my head all the time. Luckily they said I could answer it there or do a one page paper on it at home. Probably didn't look the best we'll see.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you can't come up with: "I like to help people." "My community means a lot to me and I want to give back." "I believe I can be of service and I feel a responsibility to use my abilities for the greater good."....or some such malarky on the spot....stick to helping people and don't try to become a trial lawyer.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They asked me why I wanted to be a doctor at medschool interview. Hadn’t really thought much of it, just always did.

Stumbled something like it’s just always what i’d wanted to do. No particular moment or feeling that set this in motion. I believe I have the ability to do the job well and am looking forward to my career.

honesty is good. So are jokes

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Honestly, saying "I just always wanted to" would probably be just fine. I'm not expecting incisive follow-up questions.

Just avoid saying things like: "I was hoping that when responding to a late-night call, I would catch a nip slip as the family is fleeing their burning house."

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A one page paper? Is this Jr. High?

I hate those open-ended non-questions. The sign of a lazy interviewer.

That said... as a hiring manager... if a candidate can't tell me why they want the job, well.... maybe they don't really want the job.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

As someone who hires young people for customer-facing jobs, I get the best information from those questions. One of the things I'm really trying to determine is: Can I trust you to be a representative of my company when somebody walks up and asks you a question? But obviously I can't just ask that question directly.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A one page paper? Is this Jr. High?

That said... as a hiring manager... if a candidate can't tell me why they want the job, well.... maybe they don't really want the job.

So, "I gots bills to pay man!" is not an acceptable answer? ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As someone who hires young people for customer-facing jobs, I get the best information from those questions. One of the things I'm really trying to determine is: Can I trust you to be a representative of my company when somebody walks up and asks you a question? But obviously I can't just ask that question directly.

Why not? That seems like a perfectly legitimate question. :scratch:

Could be a good lead-in to a follow-up "role playing" scenario, where you tell them you are the customer and you come up to them and ask.... "blah blah blah". How would they answer?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Why not? That seems like a perfectly legitimate question. :scratch:

Because no 19 year old thinks himself an idiot.

There are lots of ways to get that information, but the one that seems most helpful for me is to simply start a conversation with something pretty open-ended and see what the interviewee says.

Most of my questions aren't like that, but one early on and a second about 10 minutes later have helped me avoid bad hires several times.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    A buddy of mine applied for IU's medical school. He scored high enough on the MCAT, his grades were good, and he had documented community service. He was granted an interview with the admissions board. They dumped a box of legos in front of him on a table and asked him to build something from the pile. I can't remember what he built: I don't think you can more random than that.

He told me they did that to see how creative he is: I am not so sure about that

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    A buddy of mine applied for IU's medical school. He scored high enough on the MCAT, his grades were good, and he had documented community service. He was granted an interview with the admissions board. They dumped a box of legos in front of him on a table and asked him to build something from the pile. I can't remember what he built: I don't think you can more random than that.

Sounds like something that would be done in a Google interview or something. I've always read a lot of articles talking about some of their wacky questions and have always thought they were BS. Still do. To me, being creative when building something out of legos really doesn't translate to creativity as a Doctor, but what do you expect from such a progressive of an institution? Personally, when I've been an interviewer, I've stuck to legitimate questions about background, experience and things like that. Tell me about overcoming issues in the workplace. When have you had conflicts with your coworkers, customer or manager and how did you resolve them. Things like that. Interviews aren't great indicators of much, because some people who are great at interviewing don't make good workers, but at least it's an indicator, along with a resume and things like that. Working with someone day to day is the best indicator of all, but by that time, a lot of companies make it hell to get rid of someone if they don't work out. I definitely see the value of contract to hire for most positions.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So, "I gots bills to pay man!" is not an acceptable answer? ;)
    Perfectly acceptable answer.

Other candidates likely have better answers.

I have had candidates say almost exactly that. The position they were applying for payed more than their current position, or had better benefits, and that was the only reason they applied. Perfectly valid reason. And, at least they were honest.

AjKilgore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2019
    Northern Area

I had a question at an interview that threw me completely off. "You are trapped in a giant blinder and the only things you have available are what you are currently wearing. What would you do" I looked at him so confused.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Because no 19 year old thinks himself an idiot.

There are lots of ways to get that information, but the one that seems most helpful for me is to simply start a conversation with something pretty open-ended and see what the interviewee says.

Most of my questions aren't like that, but one early on and a second about 10 minutes later have helped me avoid bad hires several times.

I work in a field where personality type is almost as important as job knowledge to be effective. Give me a person with the right personality and I'll train them up as needed, but give me the wrong personality and sometimes no amount of training will make that person a good fit.

I've only participated in a few interviews for new hires, but I'm told that, if you want to know how a person might react to certain circumstances, you're far better off trying to simulate the circumstances or situation in the interview than you are just asking the question. Almost all people will claim to be able to be able to think fast on their feet, if that's what they want to convey to get the job, but if you can set up an interview where they have to do that, you might find out otherwise.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Some years back one of the car selling websites (Edmund's?) sent an undercover reporter to get hired as a new car salesman and get the "inside story." He worked a couple different dealerships, one a high pressure high volume make-the-sale place, and one a more laid back, let the customer sell himself. Prior to going to his first interview, he talked with[STRIKE] a friend of his who had been a car salesman[/STRIKE] his editor, and the [STRIKE]friend[/STRIKE] editor advised "tell them you want to make a lot of money."

His first interview was with high-pressure place, the interviewers were serious-faced, asked some basic questions, then hit him with "Why do you want to sell cars?" He said, "To make a lot of money." Boom, big smiles, interview was over and he was hired.

Know what your employer wants, I guess.

It was an interesting series, think I'll see if I can find it again.

ETA: That was easier than expected: Confessions of a car salesman

Last edited:
    Top Bottom