• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    PBS has been running an excellent documentary on the history of country music by Ken Burns. It features fantastic footage of old concerts, old and current interviews, as well as historic photos. It runs a total 16 hours, 2 hours per episode. The early episodes featured footage and photos of some artists I had only heard of or heard on the radio.

It is also available to stream from PBS. I like it so well I will buy the DVD set.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have watched the whole thing so far. The first 2-3 were great primers and the 2 or 3 this week bring back a lot of memories. The older I have got, the more I like hearing the back stories of "modern" music.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't say I was a fan, but after watching it, I do have a much greater appreciation.

I was a bit disappointed - it was more a walk down through memory lane and less an actual critique of the genre. At least Marty Stuart is very knowledgeable about the subject. Otherwise, not a lot of talk about the music, but more about the people.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I wouldn't say I was a fan, but after watching it, I do have a much greater appreciation.

I was a bit disappointed - it was more a walk down through memory lane and less an actual critique of the genre. At least Marty Stuart is very knowledgeable about the subject. Otherwise, not a lot of talk about the music, but more about the people.

What would they talk about the music? The composition and structure? Country music was always about the people, Did you watch the entire series? There was much discussion of how the music evolved, how the different styles were created and why they were created, particularly in the early days.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What would they talk about the music? The composition and structure? Country music was always about the people, Did you watch the entire series? There was much discussion of how the music evolved, how the different styles were created and why they were created, particularly in the early days.
    Yes, I watched the entire season and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm actually glad it stopped at Garth Brooks and didn't get into that abomination know as bro-country.

Maybe dwell on the separation between bluegrass and country, or Bakersfield and Nashville (more so than they did). Everyone in it was either a musician, writer, or family member, except one or two like Ernie Stubbs. It was a very wide survey, but not as deep as his documentary of jazz - there were no music critics featured, and if it wasn't for Stuart*, very little in the way of thought provoking commentary on the history. Or maybe discuss how country music fit in with the society as a whole. Rather than send a huge amount of time on Cash, why not look at how Glen Campbell was changing things with his wall of sound influence from his session musician influence, and then how Waylon sought to overturn those tables. Maybe look at why those outfits in the 60's and 70's were so gaudy? Why did Conway Twitty have collars that looked like wings of a 747? Or why was Outlaw Country barely given a passing nod? One of the reoccurring themes is that country music continues to circle back - it moves toward pop or rock, but then gets pulled back to tradition, why?

Nevertheless, I did watch with undivided attention, like all Ken Burns documentaries, it had a way of being engrossing, entertaining and at times emotional.

He's Canadian.....:)
    So is (was?) Shania Twain. Fortunately they didn't spend a lot of time with her music.

It's taken me a long time to come around to country music. I grew up with in the era of Twain and Brooks and the other megastars of country - really tainted my opinion of the genre. Never cared for it then, and still don't. It's pop music with a touch of fiddle and twang if you ask me. I guess I'd say that country music - Bob Wills, the Carters, Waylon, George Jones... it's an acquired taste for me.

Now after watching Burns safe-for-work documentary, I should go back and watch those Tales From the Tour Bus episodes... :):

* I'm now kicking myself for not seeing Marty Stuart when he was here in town.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom