• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Any large breed dog trainers on INGO? Or, any recommendations? We have run across all the usual suspects (like PetsMart). Starting to get a few recommendations from friends.

We are getting a Newfoundland pup in a few weeks. Want/need to start him off right.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    You went through a fence to pee on chezuki's shoes, and your dog imitated your behavior on his own? That sounds like a smart dog! :):
    It was uncanny. Chez just got to close to the fence, as did others. Dog hit his normal spot, and Chez was right in line with the shot. When he was a pup, the dog, not chez, he could hit a rag the size of a golf ball.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have a 50/50 Great Dane, Irish wolfhound mix. We have been going to petsmart classes (in castleton) since she was old enough to attend the puppy class.

We have been taking Róise to petsmart since she was 9 weeks old(She will be 1 year old on sunday). Literally the first day we got her. Shanna the main trainer there is absolutely amazing.
    Shanna trains all the trainers for petsmart in indiana. We have gone through Puppy, intermediate, advanced, therapy dog training, and are currently taking the therapy dog training again to help solidify what we learned in the last one. I could not recommend Shanna enough.

roise.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There is (or was) a place by Reynolds Farm Equipment off US 37. They have a good reputation. We didn't go, because Trillian was dumber than a sack of hammers, but at least she didn't **** on my shoes.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There is (or was) a place by Reynolds Farm Equipment off US 37. They have a good reputation. We didn't go, because Trillian was dumber than a sack of hammers, but at least she didn't **** on my shoes.

That’s First Friends, the owner’s name is Bruce.

I enrolled led my German Shepherd there when we first got her, and I am very happy with the training I received. For us the key was practice and routine. The dog picked up on the training pretty quickly, the hard part is consistent reinforcement.

I hope this helps!

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I had one dog I took to First Friends. I wouldn’t go there again. There are two basic methods to training a dog. Submission, or making the dog want to do it. In the class I did there, it was about submission. That’s not the method I want to use with my dogs, and that’s definitely NOT the method you should use with a Newfoundland. That breed wants to please their owners. Use that to your advantage, and you will have a well trained dog.

There are several obedience training clubs around central Indiana. There is one on the east side of Indy I go to as well one in Anderson. There are a lot of options depending on where you live and how far you want to go for training. You can also look at The AKC website for additional obedience clubs in your area.

Newfoundlands excel in many areas. Depending on what you want to do with your new dog, there are a lot of options in central Indiana.

Kaneda13

Adeptus Mechanicus
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That’s First Friends, the owner’s name is Bruce.

I enrolled led my German Shepherd there when we first got her, and I am very happy with the training I received. For us the key was practice and routine. The dog picked up on the training pretty quickly, the hard part is consistent reinforcement.

I hope this helps!

!00% this! Took my GSD puppy through the same training.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Dude, your dog pissed on my shoes while I was wearing them... DVD teach him that?
    LOL, that brings back memories! I was watching my daughter practice with one of our dogs for the 4-H competition, had one of our other dogs (male Doberman) on a leash. Felt something warm and wet hit the back of my legs, soaking my shoes and socks. Yep, he'd hiked his leg and took a good whiz. :facepalm:

Top Bottom