• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well this sort of came out of nowhere.

Marion County will no longer prosecute simple marijuana possession, officials say

"If it is less than one ounce of marijuana, we are not going to file that charge," Mears told IndyStar. "And that's effective today."

Mears said the decision only covers simple possession.

"We're going to continue to prosecute individuals who use marijuana during the course of an accident or if they're impaired for marijuana, those types of cases," he said. "And also public consumption. I don't want people to get the idea that if you walk down to the monument, people are free to light up in public. That's not what this is about. This is about making sure that we treat everybody fairly."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sweet. Maybe they will stop prosecuting the open container law, too. Pretty much the same as "simple possession". If you aren't high, what's a little pot? If you aren't drunk, what's a little booze?

Nice to know that the legislature can be rendered ineffective so easily.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Great news. Finally governments are seeing how stupid the war on marijuana is. Need to get it done federally before any gun people can truly celebrate and possibly use it for pain management or even recreation. Much better than alcohol

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Buying alcohol and driving home with it isn't the same as drinking and driving
    I was make a joke out of "pot is illegal, but you can have it if you aren't ACTUALLY smoking it at the time" and "Open bottles of booze are illegal (in your car), but maybe we should be able to have open booze as long as we aren't ACTUALLY drinking it at the time".

Possession of pot - go on your way!
    Possession of an open bottle - book 'em, Danno.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Should be interesting. I wonder how Hamilton County will respond. They probably won't follow suit unless they're dragged kicking and screaming.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good. Maybe this will at least slow down the revolving door on the jail and keep more dangerous thugs in, instead of cutting them loose before the arresting officer ends his shift.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Sweet. Maybe they will stop prosecuting the open container law, too. Pretty much the same as "simple possession". If you aren't high, what's a little pot? If you aren't drunk, what's a little booze?

Nice to know that the legislature can be rendered ineffective so easily.
    Should prosecutors still prosecute **** ***'s because the state legistlature deemed them illegal or are you ok with them not prosecuting that law?
    It really comes down to marijuanna being in such common usage now that our police and courts are being overwhelmed by petty offe ses that dont amount to anything and really just jam up a lot of people and screw them fir nothing. Because of alittle weed? Come on.
    Yeah its illegal. I dont use it, but I know just because someone does they arent a hardened criminal or a bad person.
    Hell I cant believe how common drunk driving convictions are in public transportation. You wanna taalk about something worth fighting about, fight that. Fight to make it illegal for anyone with a dui charge to be able to transport members of the public on public transportation. Thats a noble fight

Last edited by a moderator:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good. Maybe this will at least slow down the revolving door on the jail and keep more dangerous thugs in, instead of cutting them loose before the arresting officer ends his shift.

So you think this means that they will spend more time prosecuting more serious crimes?

You theory that governmental organizations will operate so as to make their jobs more difficult intrigues me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The legislature should "fix" the law. Those charged with upholding it should get to "blow off" (see what I did there?) the law because they feel like it.

Yeah, yeah - AG has discretion. I don't feel it should be "blanket".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    91SdNq0JWcL._RI_.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Having a policy is one thing. Announcing it to the worlds is grandstanding for some political purpose....when is the next election for prosecutor?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom