• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Have they changed the way they do TB tests in the last 20 years?

I recall a small push-pin style thing, that barely scratched the surface of the skin.
    Nothing even close to a syringe...

Perhaps we should raise the passing score on our medical licensing tests?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

I recall a small push-pin style thing, that barely scratched the surface of the skin.

What do you call someone at the bottom of the class at med school?

Doctor.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Have they changed the way they do TB tests in the last 20 years?...

Yes.

Insulin syringe:

41DxQjCsp1L._SX342_.jpg

TB test syringe:

Synthetic-rubber-tb-test-insulin-syringe-with.jpg_350x350.jpg

What do you call someone at the bottom of the class at med school?

Doctor.

Not that doctors don't screw up...I've based a career on it, but what would you care to bet that a doctor didn't do this?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

That's what I remember. Had 4 little prongs if I remember correctly.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    That's what I remember. Had 4 little prongs if I remember correctly.
    I remember the four-prong test. In the Air Force, I was able to dodge the annual flu shot for three years. I was at the hospital for a flight physical and Nurse Fox checked my shot record. She was annoyed that I did not have the flu shots. She gave me the TB test by sticking it in my arm and twisting it 360 degrees.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Boy would I love to get hit with morphine while in for my flu shot.
    Nothin good ever happens to me. :(

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yes.

Insulin syringe:

TB test syringe:

Not that doctors don't screw up...I've based a career on it, but what would you care to bet that a doctor didn't do this?

I heard it was a nurse, but who knows.

the syringe doesn’t Matter, they’re not pre filled. Whoever it was used the wrong vial and then administered it. Whoops. People are human.

i ordered antibiotics on the wrong patient tonight. Fortunately that one also needed that one though.

there was zero harm here, should be no lawsuit. I’m sure schools paid the medical bills though. 10 units of insulin? Come on... did anyone need treatment? Drink a coke. I shoot you with 10 of insulin IV and half a Powerade of glucose to treat your high potassium.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    On the bright side, a vial of insulin would have more than 16 "doses" in it so at least the nurse noticed before running the vial dry.

On the dark side, anyone who can't tell an insulin vial from a PPD vial might just as well try to draw from a ham sandwich, which is why we aren't allowed to keep food in the med fridge.

A doctor wouldn't have been involved, but you always need to remember: half the doctors out there graduated in the lower 50% of their class...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On the bright side, a vial of insulin would have more than 16 "doses" in it so at least the nurse noticed before running the vial dry.

On the dark side, anyone who can't tell an insulin vial from a PPD vial might just as well try to draw from a ham sandwich, which is why we aren't allowed to keep food in the med fridge.

A doctor wouldn't have been involved, but you always need to remember: half the doctors out there graduated in the lower 50% of their class...

Since those nurses negligently killed those NICU babies with overdoses of heparin at Methodist years ago, some nursing programs started teaching students to read the labels on meds three times before administering (it was previously taught to read it twice). Given the information we have, the person in question didn't actually read the label even one time. It's good that no serious damage was done (this time), but this goes way past a teachable moment into the unforgivable, mandatory career-ending negligence spectrum.

When I used to teach the (formerly) required math course for nursing students at Ivy Tech (MATH118; it's MATH 136 now), I was disappointed that the students were so averse to learning about how to understand and make use of units and conversion properly. Since one had the gall to say in class, "If I need to know units, I'll just look at the chart on the wall," I started using the example of the Methodist heparin overdoses to illustrate the compelling need to understand units. They other side of that was, I also got to reinforce that actually reading and comprehending the information on the vial was an equally vital act.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Yes.

Insulin syringe:

41DxQjCsp1L._SX342_.jpg

TB test syringe:

Synthetic-rubber-tb-test-insulin-syringe-with.jpg_350x350.jpg

I stand corrected. This looks far easier to ****up than I expected.
    Though, maybe there's a lesson there....

And if you're taking bets, I'd love to throw down that no doctor was involved. I don't care where this happened, the odds are VERY good no doctor was present.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I stand corrected. This looks far easier to ****up than I expected.
    Though, maybe there's a lesson there....

Again, the delivery device has nothing to do what’s in the syringe. Those are also heroin syringes. Someone just grabbed the wrong vial to fill them with

Top Bottom