• ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys.

I have a bit of an odd request. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for hat shops, preferably within 3 hours of the 46032 area. ;) I'm primarily looking for a few nice hats to go with a few of my frequently used suits. Probably a panama style hat, a fedora (or two), and maybe something loosely resembling a park ranger style hat. My family including cousins is about 150 people, so we end up with 1 or 2 weddings and an assortment of nice events every year. I also wear hats about 4 days out of the week, so something that is horribly uncomfortable wouldn't be ideal. My older hat has seen better days and is longing for retirement. Hope to relieve him from duty soon.

-Thank you for your time. Ben

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I too would like recommendations on a good hat shop or haberdashery. I really don't want to have to go to Chicago.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Last Best West Hats on the internet, if you are looking for a western style. They will make them any size.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I saw the bat-fedora signal in the sky...

So, your local options consist entirely of athletic caps and a few western wear places. Nobody carries *quality* fedoras or other styles suitable for wear with a suit other than a few paltry options at Nordstroms. You'll have to go online.

I would highly recommend Bailey (Hollywood collection) and/or Stetson.

https://www.baileyhats.com/hollywood.html

https://www.stetson.com/store/mens/hats.html

Find what you want then price shop Amazon, DelmonicoHatter and VillageHatShop (all .com).

The Stetson Stratoliner is my absolute favorite hat I own: https://www.delmonicohatter.com/product/TF221024STROB.htm

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up putting one of the stetson whippets on order, as I thought it might go well with my suit.
    TFWIPTB1023.07-2_4.jpg |==> (my suit) suit.jpg

I might end returning it to go with the wool version though, as I feel as though I'd be too gentle with a $200 hat and wouldn't end up wearing it as much as I'd like. I also was wondering if getting something in gray might work better, as it allows the details of the hat to "pop". I found a couple of other hats that I liked as well, but one of them brought up a question; I liked this bailey newston, but I feel like I could buy a significantly cheaper (but still quality) hat and add the extra-thick ribbon on after-the-fact... has anyone tried this?

newston.jpg

Last is my hat, some sort of dorfman pacific that has seen better days...
    dorfmanpacificfedora.jpg

As always, thank you for your time. -Ben

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Research wool/synthetic blend, wool felt, fur felt, and straw. If you want something that will look ok for a couple of seasons vs something that can last more than your lifetime then you can know where on the quality scale you need to buy. You'll know what will happen to each if it gets wet, if it can be refurbished, how easy it is to care for, how resistant to being bent/misshappen, etc.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I personally don't feel comfortable buying hats online. I need to see how it looks on my melon and with my face shape before I commit to it. Here's a good primer on finding a hat that fits your face shape.

[video=youtube_share;29tcfKGLaxU]http://youtu.be/29tcfKGLaxU[/video]

And for anyone looking for guidelines on hat etiquette, particularly when it is appropriate to wear a hat, and when it should be removed.

[video=youtube_share;C8MDsCLqzuk]http://youtu.be/C8MDsCLqzuk[/video]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My dad always wore hats. The only time I've worn them was when it was required by work (as a cook in a kitchen). I really need to start wearing at least a ball cap when I'm out in the sun though. Have had a lot of "sun spots" (not cancerous) removed over the years, and my hair ain't getting any thicker! :): I usually wear a bandana when I'm out on the boat, but I haven't even had the boat out this year.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I know this is a little older topic but made the journey to Henry the Hatter downtown Detroit. Very nice place with a large selection and very professional and knowledgeable staff. It was my first fur felt hat. I couldn't justify the all beaver hats but it wont be long. Definitely go to a shop for your first hat. Ask lots of questions and try on lots of hats until your are satisfied with your purchase decision. the person I had didnt seen to mind getting all the hats out I wanted and answering my endless questions. it was a great experience and would probably return to a hat shop or feel comfortable ordering online. Buying online would have saved me $20 vs buying in a brick and mortar.

Top Bottom