• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    I have a question for the group. Thanks in advance. I'm selling a gun online. A guy emailed me wanting to buy it. I've sold and bought a dozen guns this way in the past with no issue. However, this time, an out-of-state person wants to buy. He never talked me down on my asking price. He agrees to pay an extra $50 for my FFL to ship to his FFL. But then he emailed the below message. He's going to mail me a check that his employer or contractor would make it to me. I'm guessing this is a scam. Has anyone seen such a thing?

"Got it, thanks! I received your informations but i want you to know that the check will be a bit high upon the amount agreed, i will tell you what to do with the difference because its my paycheck that will be issued in your name as i previously work with them on part time basis and they have decided to pay me the sum they are owing me. I will keep you updated with the tracking # to the check as soon as it has been sent out for you to receive at the mailing address provided, please close advert on the purchase."

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    I make the motion that this is a scam. Is there a second?
    Thanks! I figured if he agreed to FFL to FFL, then I'm out of the woods. But then when he said his employer would write the check to me directly, I said I'm out. The only thing I can suspect is that the check is stolen money. He said the check would be for more than the 575 I asked, and I'd have to give him back "change." My guess is he'd pocket the change, and whoever he took the money from would come after me.

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    Yes that is a scam. They are actually doing some work, Not just the old Nigerian scam. They also prey on people looking for Jobs and pose as employers then hire without a in person interview.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yes it is a BIG scam.
    You cash the check.
    They stop payment.
    They now have you bank account information.
    Before you know it,\Your bank account is empty.

Read all the news reports about all the people that lost everything through this scam.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have a question for the group. Thanks in advance. I'm selling a gun online. A guy emailed me wanting to buy it. I've sold and bought a dozen guns this way in the past with no issue. However, this time, an out-of-state person wants to buy. He never talked me down on my asking price. He agrees to pay an extra $50 for my FFL to ship to his FFL. But then he emailed the below message. He's going to mail me a check that his employer or contractor would make it to me. I'm guessing this is a scam. Has anyone seen such a thing?

"Got it, thanks! I received your informations but i want you to know that the check will be a bit high upon the amount agreed, i will tell you what to do with the difference because its my paycheck that will be issued in your name as i previously work with them on part time basis and they have decided to pay me the sum they are owing me. I will keep you updated with the tracking # to the check as soon as it has been sent out for you to receive at the mailing address provided, please close advert on the purchase."

SCAM written all over it. I would have contacted the police and let them try to nab this guy; hoping to prevent it from happening again.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I disagree with all of these other guys. Okay, me sending that money to the Nigerian Oil Minister hasn't paid off so far, but I am still hopeful.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How do people come up with these things? I've always thought if they put this kiniving talent to real use, they'd be great used car salesmen...or even lawyers.

Top Bottom