• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I travel thru Rushville a few times thru the week and just happened to stop in front of the library one day to check messages on my phone. What I at first thought was a clock on the front of the building, turns out to be some type of sun dial but I can't find any information on it. Any Rushvilians on here that can shed some light on it?

20191010_122709.jpg

https://imge.to/i/vLQMqr

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Does a sundial account for Daylight Savings Time ?

I know some of you like that discussion so much....
    Sure! Twice a year, you just....

iu

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    More than 80 years later, questions remain about the library building. Any notes or minutes taken by the library board’s building committee have been lost. Looking at the Third Street façade of the building, folks usually notice two specific ornaments: the wise owl and the sundial. I often wonder who decided on these ornaments. The owl represents wisdom, and there is great wisdom in books and knowledge. That makes sense. Too bad we will never know who made the decision to include him. The sundial seems to be a basic ornament of Gothic architecture. Sundials adorned structures for centuries before clocks were put in towers. Perhaps our sundial represents the passage of time folks spend in our library enlightening themselves and becoming as wise as the owl who watches over our building.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    More than 80 years later, questions remain about the library building. Any notes or minutes taken by the library board’s building committee have been lost. Looking at the Third Street façade of the building, folks usually notice two specific ornaments: the wise owl and the sundial. I often wonder who decided on these ornaments. The owl represents wisdom, and there is great wisdom in books and knowledge. That makes sense. Too bad we will never know who made the decision to include him. The sundial seems to be a basic ornament of Gothic architecture. Sundials adorned structures for centuries before clocks were put in towers. Perhaps our sundial represents the passage of time folks spend in our library enlightening themselves and becoming as wise as the owl who watches over our building.

Or it could be the twice yearly discussion about DST that comes around like clockwork about the same time every year.:laugh:

Top Bottom