• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I picked up a used 2002 Passat for our son, it only came with 1 key.
    I need to get more keys.

I can get them cut online, with the remote for about $50 each. Then I have to program the car for them. I can rent the programmer for $50 from the place that will cut the keys or buy one from EBay/Amazon for $75-100.

Does any one have a local place around Indy they have used to get & program the keys?

Why can't they be like other cars that you can program yourself without the scanner.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I picked up a used 2002 Passat for our son, it only came with 1 key.
    I need to get more keys.

I can get them cut online, with the remote for about $50 each. Then I have to program the car for them. I can rent the programmer for $50 from the place that will cut the keys or buy one from EBay/Amazon for $75-100.

Does any one have a local place around Indy they have used to get & program the keys?

Why can't they be like other cars that you can program yourself without the scanner.....

Follow the money.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I used Bob's in Fishers, $80 for a programed key.

https://www.bobsmastersafeandlockservice.com/
    From their website.
    We do not perform any work on or make keys/remotes for the following vehicles: Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes, Saab, Volkswagen or Volvo. For those vehicles, you must contact the appropriate dealer.

When we had our Jeep GC, it didn't have any remotes. We had a remote starter installed cheaper than getting remotes & having the dealer program them. The dealer HAD to program the remotes, at that time, there was no way for me to do them.

On this VW I can program the remote all day long, but you can't do the key without the scanner.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Late model vehicles with programmable key fobs can be extremely expensive to replace if you lose the keys. Toyota for example will have a "master key" and other "slave keys". If you have the master key you can program slave keys without the scanner. There is a procedure you follow to accomplish this. If you lose the master key you will be ok as long as you use the previously programed slave keys. If you lose all the keys, you will have to have the replacement keys programed. I would recommend to my customers that they put the master key in a secure place so it would not get lost. On pre 2000 Toyotas, if you lost the master key you had to replace the engine control computer and then reprogram the new keys with the scanner. Other makes and models will vary.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I have a 2002 Bug I bought for my daughter, were in the same predicament, Please keep the thread alive

It looks like we use the same key and fob, they are $60 each cut with a pic of your key.

We could maybe split the rental on the scanner.
    I'll check with my Matco man tomorrow and see if he has the scanner or if he know a customer with the scanner and get a price.

I called Tom Wood VW today, never could get service on the phone, it would just keep sending me back to the operator that would try to get service on the phone.

Top Bottom