• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Going to the DR for a week, Would like a phone to use, I checked with my provider and they don't offer an add on for calling Back to the U.S. I can get a $10 international card to call out of the U.S.

Any cheap, easy solutions.

(Don't know what access we will have to wifi, already thought of that)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When we travel in Europe, we just make do with WiFi access. The wife can still Facetime here friends and family. Every restaurant has WiFi.

The only problem we had was that all the parking required SMS payment. Fortunately, it was a national holiday and parking was free.

In the DR, YMMV.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    When we travel in Europe, we just make do with WiFi access. The wife can still Facetime here friends and family. Every restaurant has WiFi.

The only problem we had was that all the parking required SMS payment. Fortunately, it was a national holiday and parking was free.

In the DR, YMMV.

this. Honestly wifi, and a voip, will be cheaper than anything’s else. Use WhatsApp and you can make calls. Sure it’s wifi based and if that goes down your sol. But your on vacation

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Whatever you do, keep your phone in airplane mode all the time. If it loses a connection to wifi and connects to the local cell network, it's going to be a big bill. Verizon charges $1.99 per KILObyte of data when you are international and didn't purchase a plan, which is almost $2000 per MB. So sending someone a photo is going to cost you about $3000 under those circumstances. The other providers probably have similar rates.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I took a vacation to the DR a few years ago. The resort had wifi. Took a laptop with me and used VoIP using the laptop to make calls. I left the cell phone off.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I second VOIP as an option. Additionally, theft is a big thing in the DR Ask me how I know! Just like travelling to any country. Lock up your valuables.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Whatever you do, keep your phone in airplane mode all the time. If it loses a connection to wifi and connects to the local cell network, it's going to be a big bill. Verizon charges $1.99 per KILObyte of data when you are international and didn't purchase a plan, which is almost $2000 per MB. So sending someone a photo is going to cost you about $3000 under those circumstances. The other providers probably have similar rates.

And make sure roaming is off. That will also prevent crazy overages.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    If you're going to rely on WiFi (especially on public networks at hotels, restaurants, airports, etc., I'd seriously recommend investing in a strong VPN app. I use Nord for my phone and my computers, and it's wonderful. There are a lot of solid options out there though.

A small price to pay to help protect your digital property. Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Top Bottom