Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expert

User Info Menu

Wabash College- thoughts, opinions... Have a teen that is considering Wabash...

Any Alums also Wabash Alums? Would be interested in your opinions of Wabash College.

A teen in interested in attending.

Thanks,

B&G

User Info Menu

My son got offered hefty scholarships there, but did not end up going as in the end he got significantly better offers elsewhere (when considering the expense of going to Wabash). I seem to recall they were very selective about which AP credits they would honor, etc and that also ends up costing more $, considering my son had enough AP credits to skip what would have been an entire freshman year. And I understand it is not all about $, but college, especially at a private university is quite expensive.

It's been about 4 years since we visited, etc, but there are good and bads about ultra small classes, etc, but in the end my son ended up choosing to go to a much larger school out of state and received significantly better scholarship overall and seems quite happy that he made the decision, and in his 3rd year at the school he chose, he is in their accelerated masters program.

I'd defer to others who have more experience with them, but my son went for a few day weekend visit, and we did the tour, etc and he did not end up going there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein
    I am trying to turn every thread I involve myself in into a **** show.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Graduated from Wabash in 08, what questions do you have OP?

Granted a lot has changed since my departure. Mainly in campus living. Lots of updated dorms, frat houses, campus housing.

Sent from my bad arse OnePlus 7 Pro

User Info Menu

Class of 1990 here. If the college is a good fit, it is a great place to go. I used to joke Wabash was easy to get in but hard to get out. My freshman class numbered 215 and I graduated with 112+/-. Strong, though unusual, Greek life, very good athletics though Div III. And very rigorous academics. A lot of folks are thrown by the all male thing but the fraternities do a good job of partnering with sororities at Purdue, Butler & Depauw for parties and activities.

I could have attended the Univ. of Evansville tuition free, father was a prof., but I chose Wabash. I would have hated a really large school but and fell in love with Wabash when i stepped onto the campus. I also needed a school that would challenge me and it did. I did a semester overseas my junior year and was shocked at what students from other schools though was hard or too much work.

So visit campus, maybe attend an alumni event in your area. There are a lot of those in Indy. Like wabashman said, a lot has changed since I graduated. Heck, my freshman year I canoed Sugar Creek with the president and lost $20.00 to the dean of students in a poker game. But if it is a good fit for the student, it will be a life changing choice for the better.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Marksman

User Info Menu

I live in Crawfordsville and know several former "Wallies". I have not heard any of them talk bad. It seems that the general consensus is ghat they like to take care of their own. They do a good job of networking amongst their alum to get their graduates placed in the workforce.

User Info Menu

I grew up in Crawfordsville. I also completed some courses there in the early 1990s after I already had my BS and MS.

• Wabash had some excellent chemistry professors in the early 1990s, but most of those guys are retired now. I don't know anyone there now, so I can't comment on the current academic environment.
    • The informal alumni support network is formidable and vast for those who choose to make wise alliances during their time there. My own alma mater and most others schools pale in comparison in that regard.
    • The fraternity system dominates student life, with a majority of students being active members of one of the frats.
    • Wabash is one of the few colleges that still administers comprehensive exams as a requirement for graduation. I think that's a very good thing, although some might find it daunting.
    • The campus itself is tiny, but really, really nice.
    • Local high school graduates with decent grades and test scores will often receive enough scholarships to attend at no direct cost to them (or at least that used to be the case). For local smart kids with limited finances, it's an attractive deal.
    • Based on my observations, Wabash is an excellent choice for someone who knows with certainty that they will attend medical school or law school.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Does your son currently drink / party? Because if not - he will in very short order at Wabash.

When I was in college (not at Wabash) - it was a wet campus. 18-20 year olds had ZERO trouble getting alcohol.

From my limited experience as a 1) Montgomery County native, and 2) friend to a handful of classmates that went to Wabash - Greek life tends to dominate. As in - if you don't rush a fraternity, you're almost looked down upon as some kind of strange animal.

I *could* have gone to Wabash. But I'm imminently glad that I did not. I'd not have been successful. At all.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wabashman View Post
    Graduated from Wabash in 08, what questions do you have OP?

Granted a lot has changed since my departure. Mainly in campus living. Lots of updated dorms, frat houses, campus housing.

Sent from my bad arse OnePlus 7 Pro
    Username checks out.

/r/beetlejuicing
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Rhino nailed it. I understand if you stay in the Indianapolis area the alumni network is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Does your son currently drink / party? Because if not - he will in very short order at Wabash. When I was in college (not at Wabash) - it was a wet campus. 18-20 year olds had ZERO trouble getting alcohol. From my limited experience as a 1) Montgomery County native, and 2) friend to a handful of classmates that went to Wabash - Greek life tends to dominate. As in - if you don't rush a fraternity, you're almost looked down upon as some kind of strange animal. I *could* have gone to Wabash. But I'm imminently glad that I did not. I'd not have been successful. At all.
    Yep, that is the key. A great school if a good fit, bad experience if not.

When i was there about 80-85% of the students were in fraternities. That also was the makeup of the housing. However the fraternity system was far more relaxed than on other campuses. I had plenty of friends in other fraternities and I would say, then, it was more akin to the house system in British universities. My understanding is the percentage has dropped significantly with new and remodeled dorms; it now sits around 65%.

Yes, fraternities are a source of parties and alcohol, but I found it to be a good environment. No pressure to drink if you didn't want to, lots of peer monitoring as well. In my fraternity freshmen had enforced study hours. Sunday through Thursday you were parked in the dining room or library from 7:00 to 10:00. Of course freshmen also had assigned house chores, cleaning of various areas, kitchen work, etc. which was nice once you were not a freshman.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

User Info Menu

If I win a big lottery, I'd probably take a bunch of classes at Wabash and Purdue as my new vocation.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast