Wabash College- thoughts, opinions... Have a teen that is considering Wabash...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My son got offered hefty scholarships there, but did not end up going as in the end he got significantly better offers elsewhere (when considering the expense of going to Wabash). I seem to recall they were very selective about which AP credits they would honor, etc and that also ends up costing more $, considering my son had enough AP credits to skip what would have been an entire freshman year. And I understand it is not all about $, but college, especially at a private university is quite expensive.

It's been about 4 years since we visited, etc, but there are good and bads about ultra small classes, etc, but in the end my son ended up choosing to go to a much larger school out of state and received significantly better scholarship overall and seems quite happy that he made the decision, and in his 3rd year at the school he chose, he is in their accelerated masters program.

I'd defer to others who have more experience with them, but my son went for a few day weekend visit, and we did the tour, etc and he did not end up going there.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Graduated from Wabash in 08, what questions do you have OP?

Granted a lot has changed since my departure. Mainly in campus living. Lots of updated dorms, frat houses, campus housing.

Sent from my bad arse OnePlus 7 Pro

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Class of 1990 here. If the college is a good fit, it is a great place to go. I used to joke Wabash was easy to get in but hard to get out. My freshman class numbered 215 and I graduated with 112+/-. Strong, though unusual, Greek life, very good athletics though Div III. And very rigorous academics. A lot of folks are thrown by the all male thing but the fraternities do a good job of partnering with sororities at Purdue, Butler & Depauw for parties and activities.

I could have attended the Univ. of Evansville tuition free, father was a prof., but I chose Wabash. I would have hated a really large school but and fell in love with Wabash when i stepped onto the campus. I also needed a school that would challenge me and it did. I did a semester overseas my junior year and was shocked at what students from other schools though was hard or too much work.

So visit campus, maybe attend an alumni event in your area. There are a lot of those in Indy. Like wabashman said, a lot has changed since I graduated. Heck, my freshman year I canoed Sugar Creek with the president and lost $20.00 to the dean of students in a poker game. But if it is a good fit for the student, it will be a life changing choice for the better.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I live in Crawfordsville and know several former "Wallies". I have not heard any of them talk bad. It seems that the general consensus is ghat they like to take care of their own. They do a good job of networking amongst their alum to get their graduates placed in the workforce.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I grew up in Crawfordsville. I also completed some courses there in the early 1990s after I already had my BS and MS.

• Wabash had some excellent chemistry professors in the early 1990s, but most of those guys are retired now. I don't know anyone there now, so I can't comment on the current academic environment.
    • The informal alumni support network is formidable and vast for those who choose to make wise alliances during their time there. My own alma mater and most others schools pale in comparison in that regard.
    • The fraternity system dominates student life, with a majority of students being active members of one of the frats.
    • Wabash is one of the few colleges that still administers comprehensive exams as a requirement for graduation. I think that's a very good thing, although some might find it daunting.
    • The campus itself is tiny, but really, really nice.
    • Local high school graduates with decent grades and test scores will often receive enough scholarships to attend at no direct cost to them (or at least that used to be the case). For local smart kids with limited finances, it's an attractive deal.
    • Based on my observations, Wabash is an excellent choice for someone who knows with certainty that they will attend medical school or law school.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Does your son currently drink / party? Because if not - he will in very short order at Wabash.

When I was in college (not at Wabash) - it was a wet campus. 18-20 year olds had ZERO trouble getting alcohol.

From my limited experience as a 1) Montgomery County native, and 2) friend to a handful of classmates that went to Wabash - Greek life tends to dominate. As in - if you don't rush a fraternity, you're almost looked down upon as some kind of strange animal.

I *could* have gone to Wabash. But I'm imminently glad that I did not. I'd not have been successful. At all.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Rhino nailed it. I understand if you stay in the Indianapolis area the alumni network is amazing.

Does your son currently drink / party? Because if not - he will in very short order at Wabash. When I was in college (not at Wabash) - it was a wet campus. 18-20 year olds had ZERO trouble getting alcohol. From my limited experience as a 1) Montgomery County native, and 2) friend to a handful of classmates that went to Wabash - Greek life tends to dominate. As in - if you don't rush a fraternity, you're almost looked down upon as some kind of strange animal. I *could* have gone to Wabash. But I'm imminently glad that I did not. I'd not have been successful. At all.

Yep, that is the key. A great school if a good fit, bad experience if not.

When i was there about 80-85% of the students were in fraternities. That also was the makeup of the housing. However the fraternity system was far more relaxed than on other campuses. I had plenty of friends in other fraternities and I would say, then, it was more akin to the house system in British universities. My understanding is the percentage has dropped significantly with new and remodeled dorms; it now sits around 65%.

Yes, fraternities are a source of parties and alcohol, but I found it to be a good environment. No pressure to drink if you didn't want to, lots of peer monitoring as well. In my fraternity freshmen had enforced study hours. Sunday through Thursday you were parked in the dining room or library from 7:00 to 10:00. Of course freshmen also had assigned house chores, cleaning of various areas, kitchen work, etc. which was nice once you were not a freshman.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    • Local high school graduates with decent grades and test scores will often receive enough scholarships to attend at no direct cost to them (or at least that used to be the case). For local smart kids with limited finances, it's an attractive deal.

We did not find this to be the case (attending at low cost after scholarship), even after my son was offered a substantial scholarship and getting some additional $$ from participating in some competitive scholarship add ons, the cost was still going to be significantly more than where he ended up going with the scholarship he received at that school (even though where he went was out of state and a large school)

I will say they definitely did make a good showing of the alumni being a tight group during my son's visit as they had many alumni in attendance, and definitely used that as a differentiating point (though I can also say similar about where my son did go to school as well from personal experience).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I went there. It was the most amazing growing experience I’ve ever had. 1 out of 3 fail, transfer or otherwise don’t make it. At least it was that way. I was unprepared but learned quickly that anyone who seeks help will get it, anyone who doesn’t will flail. I can not recommend it highly enough, it is a unique and amazing place.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I went there. It was the most amazing growing experience I’ve ever had. 1 out of 3 fail, transfer or otherwise don’t make it. At least it was that way. I was unprepared but learned quickly that anyone who seeks help will get it, anyone who doesn’t will flail. I can not recommend it highly enough, it is a unique and amazing place.

sounds like our experiences were similar.

Wabash? No way! They just announced they will no longer issue sheepskin diplomas. :dunno:

WHAT THE HELL!?!? :facepalm:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We did not find this to be the case (attending at low cost after scholarship), even after my son was offered a substantial scholarship and getting some additional $$ from participating in some competitive scholarship add ons, the cost was still going to be significantly more than where he ended up going with the scholarship he received at that school (even though where he went was out of state and a large school)

I will say they definitely did make a good showing of the alumni being a tight group during my son's visit as they had many alumni in attendance, and definitely used that as a differentiating point (though I can also say similar about where my son did go to school as well from personal experience).

I'm surprised by that! Which high school in Montgomery County did your son attend?

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    I went there, graduated in 1991. It was an experience I would hate to trade. I was not a frat guy and felt a little left out. I was on the football team which was probably the reason I went there. I gave up football after 2 years but my knees don’t know it. I did not pursue graduate school. I think Wabash is a great prep for that avenue, but I was done with school and wanted to get on with life. It is a heck of a school and we all remember the good times, but it was a challenge. By the way, I met my wife at a party there. So, don’t let the all men thing bother you. Women know where to find real men.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm surprised by that! Which high school in Montgomery County did your son attend?

Ok, so by local you mean Montgomery county and not Central Indiana? If so, and there is special funding for Montgomery County, then I spoke out of turn.

My son did get offered substantial scholarship funds, but the starting price was significant, so even after a substantial decrease due to scholarship, it was still significant.

And again, not meaning to speak out of turn, just what we encountered when my son was seriously considering Wabash.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ok, so by local you mean Montgomery county and not Central Indiana? If so, and there is special funding for Montgomery County, then I spoke out of turn.

My son did get offered substantial scholarship funds, but the starting price was significant, so even after a substantial decrease due to scholarship, it was still significant.

And again, not meaning to speak out of turn, just what we encountered when my son was seriously considering Wabash.

Yes, local means specifically Crawfordsville HS, Southmont HS, or North Montgomery HS. Several of my HS classmates and a number of others I know went there at no direct cost to them or their parents. It's not unusual for colleges to offer extra incentives to locals. I can't speak for Wabash, but I know of some small schools that also relax admission standards for local students (which is a two-edged sword).

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yes, local means specifically Crawfordsville HS, Southmont HS, or North Montgomery HS. Several of my HS classmates and a number of others I know went there at no direct cost to them or their parents. It's not unusual for colleges to offer extra incentives to locals. I can't speak for Wabash, but I know of some small schools that also relax admission standards for local students (which is a two-edged sword).

the benefit being when your fraternity brother's family owns the drive in south of town and chili dog night coincides with chapter meetings. So he rolls in with grocery bags of leftover chili dogs every week. God bless, Zach.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    the benefit being when your fraternity brother's family owns the drive in south of town and chili dog night coincides with chapter meetings. So he rolls in with grocery bags of leftover chili dogs every week. God bless, Zach.

Thanks a lot for sharing. NOT!

Top Bottom