I hate to admit it but I would actually buy a VW Golf GTI !!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm a hard core Chevy guy (2012 Silverado crew cab with mods to the 5.3L engine/trans and a topper too), I work for GM as skilled trades 29+ years. I saw an episode of Topgear on the telly & one of the featured cars was the venerable VW Golf GTI and was pitted against a Beamer. The 'dub whupped it. Couldn't believe until...wait for it...I drove one today. Lack of over / under steer and it was relatively fast. Rated top end with proper tires was 150+ mph with no mods. I was actually smiling driving a furrin car. Oof!
    Anyhoo, if I had the means possible and needed a pocket car that flew like a chipmunk being chased by my Malinois, I would pick this car. Yup, I got whupped by a 6 speed manual white VW. Never thought I would EVER like a VW enough to actually contemplate buying one. I must be getting old...

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    For quality and reliability, VW is near the bottom of the pile of car makers these days, down there with Mitsubishi and Fiat.

Buy literally anything else with a manual or non-CVT-auto and a mild turbo if you want a sporty yet reliable daily.

Avoid the GM 3.6, the Ford 10 speed, hybrids, ALL CVTs (except 2020 Corolla), and tiny high-strung turbo motors.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm a hard core Chevy guy (2012 Silverado crew cab with mods to the 5.3L engine/trans and a topper too), I work for GM as skilled trades 29+ years. I saw an episode of Topgear on the telly & one of the featured cars was the venerable VW Golf GTI and was pitted against a Beamer. The 'dub whupped it. Couldn't believe until...wait for it...I drove one today. Lack of over / under steer and it was relatively fast. Rated top end with proper tires was 150+ mph with no mods. I was actually smiling driving a furrin car. Oof!
    Anyhoo, if I had the means possible and needed a pocket car that flew like a chipmunk being chased by my Malinois, I would pick this car. Yup, I got whupped by a 6 speed manual white VW. Never thought I would EVER like a VW enough to actually contemplate buying one. I must be getting old...

Does it still have plaid interior?

volksjager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Reliability isn’t bad anymore. Warranty is pretty solid as well. I wouldn’t worry about owning a newer model.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are parts easy to find and inexpensive for VW's?

What about the tranny's? Automatic transmissions seem to be a problem for a LOT of vehicles these days.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I love my VW and my BMW's. The GTI is a very fun car to drive. I have a couple of friends that own them and they love them My wife's Jetta TDI is solid. Our Touareg has been a great SUV. So much so that our son drives it 2 and from IU. I used to own a Passat Vr6...great car.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    VW put out a funny series of commercials for the GTI with a theme of "Make friends with your fast." I think it was around the mid 2000s. I think of that every time I see one on the road.

[video=youtube_share;Xnd1BxAo81g]http://youtu.be/Xnd1BxAo81g[/video]

[video=youtube_share;FvyxCC5XWCg]http://youtu.be/FvyxCC5XWCg[/video]

[video=youtube_share;77Tes6vWF5M]http://youtu.be/77Tes6vWF5M[/video]

[video=youtube_share;fiFp2Opso3w]http://youtu.be/fiFp2Opso3w[/video]

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I had a 2002 Jetta VR6 for a while. Yes, fast and super fun to drive but lots of repairs and pricey to fix. Spark plugs and wires were close to $500.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am on my second Golf R. It is the AWD more powerful sibling of the GTI. I generally refer to it as my go-cart. It is a blast to drive, and moves nicely through traffic. A software tune would put it into the 370hp range.

I had the first one for about 3 years and 62K miles. It had zero issues.

I've only had the new one for about 4 months now, so I can't say it will be the same for sure. They come with 6 year/72K mile warranties now though.

If you want a small car with decent cargo capacity that is fun to drive, I highly recommend it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I had a 2002 Jetta VR6 for a while. Yes, fast and super fun to drive but lots of repairs and pricey to fix. Spark plugs and wires were close to $500.
    I do all my own repairs so that makes a huge difference. I changed out my Touareg's Vr6 valve cover gasket for $60 and 2 hours of my time as opposed to $1k to have a garage do it.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I wouldn't own any other than aircooled or pre-90's.

The electronics are just as complicated as you'd expect from VAG engineers, and full of problems.
    Wouldn't touch that pile of wiring with someone else's d***...

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't own any other than aircooled or pre-90's.

The electronics are just as complicated as you'd expect from VAG engineers, and full of problems.
    Wouldn't touch that pile of wiring with someone else's d***...

Gen I and II, yup, those where the days... spent a lot of time with a wrench in my hand, enjoyable time mostly.

volksjager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Are parts easy to find and inexpensive for VW's?

What about the tranny's? Automatic transmissions seem to be a problem for a LOT of vehicles these days.

Depends on the year. For the most part no. As far as autos if you’re talking about newer gti’s they typically use DSGs. The ones in these models don’t have to much issues in stock form. If you use a tune then ymmv.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    For quality and reliability, VW is near the bottom of the pile of car makers these days, down there with Mitsubishi and Fiat.

Buy literally anything else with a manual or non-CVT-auto and a mild turbo if you want a sporty yet reliable daily.

Avoid the GM 3.6, the Ford 10 speed, hybrids, ALL CVTs (except 2020 Corolla), and tiny high-strung turbo motors.

And avoid the Ford Focus, unless you are interested in developing a lasting relationship with your friendly neighborhood transmission repair shop.

Don't know that I agree with you on hybrids, though. Especially Toyota hybrids. Thinking hard about ditching my Ford Escape for a new Rav4 hybrid. Toyota hybrid systems are some of the most simple and reliable powertrains in the world. There are Prius taxis in New York still going strong with 400k - 500k miles. And the new Rav4 hybrid is actually the quickest of the Rav4 models, while getting around 40 mph city/38 highway.

I don't work on my own cars, so VW is definitely out for me for a daily driver. Too expensive to repair, and not exactly a reputation for stellar reliability. Used to have a VW Quantum that I liked, but that was many moons ago.

volksjager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    And avoid the Ford Focus, unless you are interested in developing a lasting relationship with your friendly neighborhood transmission repair shop.

Don't know that I agree with you on hybrids, though. Especially Toyota hybrids. Thinking hard about ditching my Ford Escape for a new Rav4 hybrid. Toyota hybrid systems are some of the most simple and reliable powertrains in the world. There are Prius taxis in New York still going strong with 400k - 500k miles. And the new Rav4 hybrid is actually the quickest of the Rav4 models, while getting around 40 mph city/38 highway.

I don't work on my own cars, so VW is definitely out for me for a daily driver. Too expensive to repair, and not exactly a reputation for stellar reliability. Used to have a VW Quantum that I liked, but that was many moons ago.

Agreed on the hybrid. We’ve had two Priuses. First one had over 250k before we sold it and we still got $4k out of it. The current one is a 2013 that has 180k and runs like a champ.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve owned VW and Audi most of my adult life an love them. I just recently picked up my first GTI though. It’s a 2009 with the 2.0l turbo engines and a 6 speed automatic with paddle shifters. It’s a fun little car and can carry almost as much as my Audi Allroad. I might be looking for an R once I get tired of this one.

Top Bottom