• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Any absinthe consumers here? It's become one of my favorite sipping drinks over the last several years.
    Its not bad. Ive had it overseas. The stuff I could find here several years ago local wasnt the same stuff not even close.
    On my bourbon quests ive noticed some newer and higher end stuff popping up so maybe the real stuff is starting to make its was to the US market.
    The 2 recent occasions I've asked a store manager their opinion or recomendations on a brand they've been clueless and I have forgot to come home and research them. I don't mind paying decent money for good product but when i overpay for bad product it saddens me. There's a lot of fluff and fake stories in the liquor industry. Many people just pay for a story. I want good authentic product.
    What brand do you like?

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Its not bad. Ive had it overseas. The stuff I could find here several years ago local wasnt the same stuff not even close.
    On my bourbon quests ive noticed some newer and higher end stuff popping up so maybe the real stuff is starting to make its was to the US market.
    The 2 recent occasions I've asked a store manager their opinion or recomendations on a brand they've been clueless and I have forgot to come home and research them. I don't mind paying decent money for good product but when i overpay for bad product it saddens me. There's a lot of fluff and fake stories in the liquor industry. Many people just pay for a story. I want good authentic product.
    What brand do you like?

My favorites are definitely the Jade line with 1901 and Esprit Edouard at the top but all are pretty solid. Anything by Zufanek in the Czech Republic is pretty high on my list. Local US favorites include Pacifique, Mt Defiance, Toulouse Green, Emerald, Absinthia. Even St George isn't too bad and easily found here in Indiana.

I would avoid Grand Absente and Absinthe Ordinaire which sadly seems to be what most stores carry. Lucid is pretty good but not very complex. It's what I first had in 2007.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Nope

Witnessed a dude have a out of body experience while drinking it, he was not “sipping”!

Is the stuff you get in the U.S. the same as in Europe?

btw
    It took five us to hold him down from jumping out a 3rd floor window he thought everyone was a demon.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Nope

Witnessed a dude have a out of body experience while drinking it, he was not “sipping”!

Is the stuff you get in the U.S. the same as in Europe?

btw
    It took five us to hold him down from jumping out a 3rd floor window he thought everyone was a demon.

That wasn't absinthe :) Unless he's one of the rare individuals who have a cytochrome p450 enzyme disorder and can't process thujone. I've witnessed this first-hand but even then the guy didn't act as you describe.

And yes the absinthe available here in the US is basically the same. Levels of thujone are different (US limits to 10 ppm and Europe is 30 ppm, I believe) but most traditional absinthes from 100 years ago had less than 10 ppm anyway.

"Some people" used to make "absinthe" with copper sulfates to produce the greenish color. I'm not sure what the effects of copper sulfate poisoning on the body are but perhaps that could also have caused the reactions in the dude.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    That wasn't absinthe :) Unless he's one of the rare individuals who have a cytochrome p450 enzyme disorder and can't process thujone. I've witnessed this first-hand but even then the guy didn't act as you describe.

And yes the absinthe available here in the US is basically the same. Levels of thujone are different (US limits to 10 ppm and Europe is 30 ppm, I believe) but most traditional absinthes from 100 years ago had less than 10 ppm anyway.

"Some people" used to make "absinthe" with copper sulfates to produce the greenish color. I'm not sure what the effects of copper sulfate poisoning on the body are but perhaps that could also have caused the reactions in the dude.

Possible it's psychosomatic. I've know more than a few people that the drink was an excuse to act, not a cause. Regular drinker and partier, only takes a drink to get them going off the wall. Get them ACTUALLY drunk and they calm down and act "normal" drunk because they can't move/think anymore.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    So where do you get it? It is my understanding that the sale of absinthe is not allowed in liquor stores and bars across the U.S.?

It's been legally available here in the US again since 2007. Most liquor stores will carry something but the quality really varies. Even Vine & Table in Carmel doesn't carry a great selection. No bars in the Indy area serve quality absinthe or even really know how to prepare it - at least not that I've found. Many places sell it online both here in the US and Europe. The USPS won't deliver it to your home but UPS, FedEx, DHL will.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Brad’s travel tip#78

Don’t get absinthe from a basement bar in the red light district of Budapest!

Stuff was really green they used funky spoon and strained something into it.

I didn’t drink any of it I stick to bottled beer in a sketchy place.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm about finished with my first bottle. I don't drink it straight, but drink a lot of cocktails that contain a 1/2 tsp of it.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Brad’s travel tip#78

Yea, it shouldn't be neon green, I wouldn't have drank it either :)

ETA: of course some places use a slotted spoon and a sugar cube to slowly drip the ice water over into the absinthe waiting below. This is a traditional preparation although most absinthes don't really need the sugar.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Any absinthe consumers here? It's become one of my favorite sipping drinks over the last several years.

Can you even buy the real stuff stateside. I have an affinity for it, but I like jaeger, and it's similar in taste.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Brad’s travel tip#78

A sugar cube probably. I've seen green absinthe only a few times in my travels, and mostly in places frequented by travelers. Most of the absinthe I've seen has been clear or yellowish/orange.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Occasionally, I'll make a fancy cocktail with it (sazerac or death in the afternoon), but usually just 3 parts ice cold water dripped into 1 part absinthe.

I used to use Herbsaint, because I got in NOLA, but when that bottle finished, I thought, "Why use a substitute when I can now get the real deal?"

Top Bottom