• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Finally making the plunge to learn guitar. Based on air guitaring seems im more comfortable playing left handed. These would be the 2 lefty's im looking at for a beginner. I do plan on going to the local music store Monday and seeing which hand feels comfortable.
    https://roxymusic.com/product/squier-left-handed-affinity-telecaster-special/
    https://roxymusic.com/product/squier-contemporary-stratocaster-hh-left/

If anyone has any experience with these 2 whether as a righty or lefty let me know your thoughts. Been watching reviews on youtube now for the last 4 hrs on beginner lessons and those guitars.

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    Of the 2 I would go with the telecaster. I have bought one of the cheap squire stratocasters about 12 years ago when my wife volunteered me to play on the church warship group. It was made in Indonesian under Fenders quality control and I was very impressed with how well it played almost as good as the US models. If these are made to the same specs you should be fine with either one. You can also spend about $100 to have fret dress done and that will bring the strings as low to the fretboard as possible but that should not be necessary most guitars even low cost ones that I have played around with at guitar stores seem to be pretty well made. I that done to a $700 US made guitar back in the 90s that played very well off the shelf but I wanted it to go to 11 so I could play lightning fast Heavy Metal leads on

But the most important thing you need to look at is how well it plays. You can always improve on the sound and everything else later but if its hard to play you will lose interest. Nothing frustrates me more that hearing a parent say we want to get out kid something cheap in case they don't like it well that is a good way to make sure your kid does not grow up to want to be a rock star (btw that's good advice too in case you happen to be a parent reading this).

It's going to be hard enough to press strings on a good guitar as a beginner so having one with poor action is no good.

Being a lefty in the 80s there were not many options for lefts back then as there are now. I could walk into a guitar store and there would be walls of guitars most did not even have a left handed guitar and the ones that did only had 1 or 2 and they were over $700 and being a teenager with only $150 saved up I had to learn right handed ( I regret that as i think It would have felt more natural playing left handed).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Find a guitar you like. It's like picking an EDC, you have to find something that fits your hand, aims naturally, and you can fire well. Try it out right handed first, statistically that's how you'll probably go, but if you want it left handed and don't mind the upside down Hendrix guitar, all you have to do is flip the nut and reverse the strings, maybe intone the bridge. Et voila, left handed guitar. If that's what you find you like, sell it as right handed and go back and find a good real lefty.

Fender has a wide range of different "quality" levels at different price points. Mexican Fenders can be great, but I'd probably swap out the pickups, Japanese aren't even a bargain anymore, the Indonesian ones have a good reputation. The Chinese ones can be hit or miss, and particularly look out for the "Affinity" ones, those are firewood. You can get a good Indonesian Squier pretty cheap and with a little work you're not going to have a custom shop guitar, but the equal of a US Fender. Pickups, frets, and the electronic parts like switches and potentiometers can be improved dramatically without spending too much money. You can get the files and things to do the frets yourself, and there are volumes of youtube videos demonstrating what to do.

If you're more into a Les Paul, there are a good few people that absolutely despise the Chinese ones, so I think you're stuck with US. Epiphone is owned by Gibson, and are known to make some winners. I'm not as familiar with the Gibsons, so don't listen to me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not a musician, but I hang around them doing sound board stuff at church. Dont overlook weight. Several guys have opined that while they may love playing a certain guitar, it gets uncomfortable after a while because its just so heavy.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Im right handed, but am left eye dominant so I shoot left handed as it feels im hugging my rifles instead of pushing them away if I shoot right handed. I get the same feeling just doing the air guitar pose. Ill go in tomorrow and see what fits. Gotta wait till my items sell before making a move on a guitar though.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    A tele is a great guitar and probably a little more versatile than a strat...especially if you are just starting out.

If I was looking for a strat, might I suggest a Yamaha Pacifica612VIIFM? About $650 and packed with features you don't find on superstrats for less than double that price. Really the best guitar I've played in the strat category for less than $1000. Seymour Duncan pickups, Grover locking tuners, 5 way push pull electronics and a sweet Humbucker. Various colors.

yam-pac612viifmidbpp.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I went through all the research to buy my first guitar. I knew I wanted electric and I went from there. A friend of mine loaned me his strat to see if I really wanted to learn how to play.

As I was fiddling around with his doing my research I came across a lot of people who said; "go to store and play several models, see what you like." It seems folks missed the part where I said I wanted to "learn how to play!":) The next thing was about the pick-ups, the country it was made in, the wood, blah, blah.

Stevie Ray Vaughn could pick up a $200 strat and play it way better than we could ever play the most expensive guitar made.

Rant over.

I would seriously look inside yourself and honestly decide what kind of music you are going to play. Then look at artists that you like. See what they are playing. Tele? Strat? Les Paul? SC? Once you have decided on type of guitar, try to get out of the forums that are full of experienced players and look at what's out there in your budget. Experienced players are going to tell you that spending $1000 on a guitar is not much. And they are probably the same people that wouldn't buy a Glock because they can get a High Point for less. Let's keep in mind, how much we are willing to invest is tied to how passionate about the pursuit. I would never buy a $600 pool cue and my pool shark buddy would never buy a $600 pistol.

I would buy something though that is good enough that it won't limit you in a few years when you start getting better.

Fender, Yamaha, PRS, Epiphone all have models that will suit a beginner well. They have some models at the real low end( Fender Affinity) that even as a beginner, I would stay away from, but you don't have to buy a Made in USA Fender to start.

I don't know where you live, but if you could get up to Sweetwater in Fort Wayne, it would be a worthwhile trip. Most of those guys up there are pretty helpful and the selection is second to none around here.

:twocents:

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Eye dominance doesn't matter. If you're right handed, get a right handed guitar.

I know that was making the connection how it feels more natural. Will check out both models and hopefully since they are more a mom and pop shop instead of a guitar center I'll get better service and assistance on which I should pick.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I went through all the research to buy my first guitar. I knew I wanted electric and I went from there. A friend of mine loaned me his strat to see if I really wanted to learn how to play.

As I was fiddling around with his doing my research I came across a lot of people who said; "go to store and play several models, see what you like." It seems folks missed the part where I said I wanted to "learn how to play!":) The next thing was about the pick-ups, the country it was made in, the wood, blah, blah.

Stevie Ray Vaughn could pick up a $200 strat and play it way better than we could ever play the most expensive guitar made.

Rant over.

I would seriously look inside yourself and honestly decide what kind of music you are going to play. Then look at artists that you like. See what they are playing. Tele? Strat? Les Paul? SC? Once you have decided on type of guitar, try to get out of the forums that are full of experienced players and look at what's out there in your budget.

Experienced players are always going to tell you that spending $1000 on a guitar is not much. And they are probably the same people that wouldn't buy a Glock because they can get a High Point for less. Let's keep in mind, that we all spend on our passion.

I would buy something though that is good enough that it won't limit you in a few years when you start getting better.

Fender, Yamaha, PRS, Epiphone all have models that will suit a beginner well. They have some models at the real low end( Fender Affinity) that even as a beginner, I would stay away from, but you don't have to buy a Made in USA Fender to start.

:twocents:

Most of the good youtube instructors said the same about whats inside you. I would like to advance to playing Dio, Iron Maiden, and so on. I've noticed buying a guitar is like buying a gun. The opinions are noted and used for research, but its all about how it feels and what you like as you said.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Most of the good youtube instructors said the same about whats inside you. I would like to advance to playing Dio, Iron Maiden, and so on. I've noticed buying a guitar is like buying a gun. The opinions are noted and used for research, but its all about how it feels and what you like as you said.

Out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? You can PM me if you prefer.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would highly recommend lessons. You might even be able to borrow a guitar and then go from there.

My first guitar was a dean acoustic...still have it.

Second was a fender MIM strat, sold it to buy my first handgun.

Third was an epiphone les paul I intended to mod out with pickups and such.

Fourth is a ESP ltd with a humbucker and single coil setup. LOVE it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I do plan on checking into lessons as long as they can fit my work schedule. Otherwise I'm sure I could find someone here to give me some lessons or go to youtube or google and learn as much as I can. I figure I could set aside 15min almost everyday to practice something. Its a bit easier wanting to learn now in my 30's since I know what music I like and don't have it in my head I'm going to become some rockstar.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I've been teaching music, mostly guitar and lately to adults, since 1973. If you simply must start on an electric guitar for motivation, get any one of them in your budget that catches your eye. If you continue to play, it will not be your last. In my experience, a full size classical guitar is the proper instrument for an adult beginner. Suitable instruments are available for under $100. The reasoning is this: 1. the classical guitar has a wider nut, therefore wider string spacing. This gives adult fingers more room. Fretting chords on a guitar is unlike most everything you have done with your hands and you'll appreciate the extra room. 2. The nylon strings are easier on the finger tips and take less pressure to fret properly. 3. The nylon strings will retain their inherent tone longer than steel strings and require less frequent string changes. 4. You will have much less invested in trying a new activity on for size. No amp, cables etc. 5. You will end up with a great guitar to take camping etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been teaching music, mostly guitar and lately to adults, since 1973. If you simply must start on an electric guitar for motivation, get any one of them in your budget that catches your eye. If you continue to play, it will not be your last. In my experience, a full size classical guitar is the proper instrument for an adult beginner. Suitable instruments are available for under $100. The reasoning is this: 1. the classical guitar has a wider nut, therefore wider string spacing. This gives adult fingers more room. Fretting chords on a guitar is unlike most everything you have done with your hands and you'll appreciate the extra room. 2. The nylon strings are easier on the finger tips and take less pressure to fret properly. 3. The nylon strings will retain their inherent tone longer than steel strings and require less frequent string changes. 4. You will have much less invested in trying a new activity on for size. No amp, cables etc. 5. You will end up with a great guitar to take camping etc.

I've always played accoustic (but steel string, 6 and 12 strings) and I never could get the hang of bar chords. My stubby little fingers just don't want to work right. That was always a big stumbling block for me. I'm almost positive I wouldn't be able to get them to go all the way across the neck of a classical guitar.

Obijohn's post reminded me though, OP. Get ready for really sore fingertips until you get some callouses built up!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I've always played accoustic (but steel string, 6 and 12 strings) and I never could get the hang of bar chords. My stubby little fingers just don't want to work right. That was always a big stumbling block for me. I'm almost positive I wouldn't be able to get them to go all the way across the neck of a classical guitar.

Obijohn's post reminded me though, OP. Get ready for really sore fingertips until you get some callouses built up!

i can help with the barre chords. Alternate shapes could help.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Now is a great time to be a musician, there has never been so many affordable options for guitar, bass, amplification, recording, you name it. There are tons of affordable options guitar wise, some are made in China, others in indonesia, korea, even Viet Nam. I have two Gibsons, and one Fender, and 15 other guitars from all over, the Gibsons are put away and will stay there, my wife or kids can sell em when I’m gone, I’m done with Gibson. Fender hasn’t **** the nest like gibson, and the one I own is US made, but their lower cost lines are manufactured overseas, the mexican fenders are decent, but some of the squiers I’ve seen needed a lot of work right out of the box. Lately I’ve been buying a lot of Harley Bentons, they’re the house brand of a German company called Thomann, and are excellent bang for the buck. Granted, you can’t handle them before buying, but I have had 4 of them shipped from Germany, and have only had to do very minimal setup to two of them, the other two were dead on out of the box.

Top Bottom