Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Starting to Prep for Thanksgiving :)

Past several years I have been doing all the Thanksgiving cooking for the family. My mother doesn't like to cook and dad doesn't care. I've been taking some cooking classes and find I actually enjoy turning raw into edible, and good tasting edible at that.

This year I'll be cooking for nine (9)! Wasn't planned for but that is how it is ending up.

As I will be feeding so many folks I will be making a variety of items to choose from. I have a book for cooking centuries olde recipes called "A Feast of Ice & Fire" that has dozens of recipes coming close to what was described in the Game of Thrones recipes.

This weekend I decided to try making two (2) recipes I have never done before that I think will compliment a large Thanksgiving dinner well.

The first is black bread. This was relatively easy, although messy, and as it required a dark beer and didn't use quite the whole can I had extra to drink. Always a good thing!

I think the black bread will go well with everything and has a nice rustic style to it.

The second recipe I tried was a pork pie. It is the olde style medieval recipe dating back to the 16th century. It isn't at all what I think people will expect from a pork pie as it is very sweet. It has currants, chopped dates, honey, and ground ginger in it. Even though it has 1 1/2 pounds of pork it is barely noticeable. I think my biggest mistake here was making the top pie crust too thick which I why I wanted to make it before Thanksgiving to work out any kinks I might have. That said the pie crust does hold together magnificently and I was pleased with the outcome.

I think it will be a big surprise come Thanksgiving time.

Regards,

Doug
    Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late.
    And how can a man die better, Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?" - T.B. Macaulay

"Idiocracy wasn't a movie. It was prophecy." - CathyInBlue

"Agent Mulder, every life, every day, is in danger. That's just life." - W. Skinner, X-Files S2E8

Marksman

User Info Menu

Wanna make it 10?

User Info Menu

That pork pie does sound good...

Marksman

User Info Menu

I like your style. I enjoy cooking and trying new things as well. Enjoy the cooking adventures.

User Info Menu

I admire you for doing all the cooking. Last Thanksgiving, I cooked everything for 7 plus two grandkids.

I was in the kitchen for 12 hours from early prep to last dish cleaned and put away. No one offered a hand except my 91 year old mother. And she's blind!

I won't do it again.
    Outlier

Marksman

User Info Menu

I don't cook, but for as long as I can remember I have always offered to do the dishes. At home my wife cooks and I clean. When we started dating, I think I made the men in her family look bad bc I started cleaning as soon as we finished eating. I think I am my mother in law's favorite

Master

User Info Menu

There can be anywhere from 25-33 people..all family at my parents for holiday dinners. Mom and dad tend to organize it all. Thankfully we all bring a dish or two, but there is always WAY too much food. Dad fries a turkey, grandma roasts a bird, my uncle smokes a few breasts and a pork loin and my brother smokes a breast or two. I'm not ready for the upcoming holiday season. I want summer back

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jerrob View Post
    Wanna make it 10?

Not a problem for me. I actually have a 10th place that will be set. I have everyone in assigned seating with their name in front of it. I reserve one (1) extra place for all the friends and family that have passed away and cannot be here. I think it is good to remember all those for whom we give thanks that they impacted our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    That pork pie does sound good...

It is good a a very different way. What I love about the book is that they give the olde recipe on the first page or two then they give the modern version. In this case what makes the pie crust expensive is that it takes saffron infused water to make it. Saffron ain't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullglide View Post
    I like your style. I enjoy cooking and trying new things as well. Enjoy the cooking adventures.

It is an adventure. I just don't like to be caught off guard on game day. So when I am going to cook something that I've never done before I like to do a "dry run" so that I have a bit of experience with it and can make some mental notes on where any landmines in the prep or cooking might be.

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    I admire you for doing all the cooking. Last Thanksgiving, I cooked everything for 7 plus two grandkids.

I was in the kitchen for 12 hours from early prep to last dish cleaned and put away. No one offered a hand except my 91 year old mother. And she's blind!

I won't do it again.

I HEAR you! I will start real preparation on Tuesday. That is when I'll make the beef stock. On Wednesday ALL other prep work will be done, including the desserts. I'll be doing flan, creme brule, Mexican rice pudding, and peanut butter cookies. Those are all very easy and should rest in the fridge overnight anyway. I'll also prepare the bread dough for resting in the fridge the night before. That will go in the oven first thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pgreene78 View Post
    I don't cook, but for as long as I can remember I have always offered to do the dishes. At home my wife cooks and I clean. When we started dating, I think I made the men in her family look bad bc I started cleaning as soon as we finished eating. I think I am my mother in law's favorite

That is a great deal. I cook, and everyone else can clean up and put away.

[QUOTE=thunderchicken;8061983]There can be anywhere from 25-33 people..all family at my parents for holiday dinners. Mom and dad tend to organize it all. Thankfully we all bring a dish or two, but there is always WAY too much food. Dad fries a turkey, grandma roasts a bird, my uncle smokes a few breasts and a pork loin and my brother smokes a breast or two. I'm not ready for the upcoming holiday season. I want summer back[/Quote]

That is a lot to cook for. I couldn't do that many unless I bought several more countertop ovens. I bought one a few years ago and it is a lifesaver. A good sized Black & Decker ( https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-TO3290XSD-Convection-Countertop/dp/B00WQZHQGS/ref=asc_df_B00WQZHQGS/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735453398&psc=1 )

This thing works great for those couple times a year I need extra space, or perhaps several things baking at different temperatures.

Anyone who has ever taking mom or grandma's cooking Thanksgiving dinner for granted needs to do it themselves just once! They will learn how to truly appreciate good cooks.

Regards,

Doug
    Last edited by Libertarian01; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:32.
    Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, Death cometh soon or late.
    And how can a man die better, Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?" - T.B. Macaulay

"Idiocracy wasn't a movie. It was prophecy." - CathyInBlue

"Agent Mulder, every life, every day, is in danger. That's just life." - W. Skinner, X-Files S2E8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post

I won't do it again.
    The first year my girls moved out, they wanted me to make Thanksgiving dinner. They came over, ate, and left. The next day, they texted me to say thank you. I told them, I hoped they enjoyed it because it was the last dinner I would make. They asked why, and I told them if I was cooking, they were cleaning - rules hadn't changed just because they moved out. Now, they make sure that everything is cleaned before they leave.

User Info Menu

Nice. I like how different this meal will be. I figured “regular” Thanksgiving dinner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast