• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Past several years I have been doing all the Thanksgiving cooking for the family. My mother doesn't like to cook and dad doesn't care. I've been taking some cooking classes and find I actually enjoy turning raw into edible, and good tasting edible at that.

This year I'll be cooking for nine (9)! Wasn't planned for but that is how it is ending up.

As I will be feeding so many folks I will be making a variety of items to choose from. I have a book for cooking centuries olde recipes called "A Feast of Ice & Fire" that has dozens of recipes coming close to what was described in the Game of Thrones recipes.

This weekend I decided to try making two (2) recipes I have never done before that I think will compliment a large Thanksgiving dinner well.

The first is black bread. This was relatively easy, although messy, and as it required a dark beer and didn't use quite the whole can I had extra to drink. Always a good thing!
    20191019_110151_zpslgiwfnrg.jpg

I think the black bread will go well with everything and has a nice rustic style to it.

The second recipe I tried was a pork pie. It is the olde style medieval recipe dating back to the 16th century. It isn't at all what I think people will expect from a pork pie as it is very sweet. It has currants, chopped dates, honey, and ground ginger in it. Even though it has 1 1/2 pounds of pork it is barely noticeable. I think my biggest mistake here was making the top pie crust too thick which I why I wanted to make it before Thanksgiving to work out any kinks I might have. That said the pie crust does hold together magnificently and I was pleased with the outcome.

I think it will be a big surprise come Thanksgiving time.

Regards,

Doug

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I admire you for doing all the cooking. Last Thanksgiving, I cooked everything for 7 plus two grandkids.

I was in the kitchen for 12 hours from early prep to last dish cleaned and put away. No one offered a hand except my 91 year old mother. And she's blind!

I won't do it again.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I don't cook, but for as long as I can remember I have always offered to do the dishes. At home my wife cooks and I clean. When we started dating, I think I made the men in her family look bad bc I started cleaning as soon as we finished eating. I think I am my mother in law's favorite :):

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There can be anywhere from 25-33 people..all family at my parents for holiday dinners. Mom and dad tend to organize it all. Thankfully we all bring a dish or two, but there is always WAY too much food. Dad fries a turkey, grandma roasts a bird, my uncle smokes a few breasts and a pork loin and my brother smokes a breast or two. I'm not ready for the upcoming holiday season. I want summer back

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wanna make it 10?

Not a problem for me. I actually have a 10th place that will be set. I have everyone in assigned seating with their name in front of it. I reserve one (1) extra place for all the friends and family that have passed away and cannot be here. I think it is good to remember all those for whom we give thanks that they impacted our lives.

That pork pie does sound good...

It is good a a very different way. What I love about the book is that they give the olde recipe on the first page or two then they give the modern version. In this case what makes the pie crust expensive is that it takes saffron infused water to make it. Saffron ain't cheap.

I like your style. I enjoy cooking and trying new things as well. Enjoy the cooking adventures.

It is an adventure. I just don't like to be caught off guard on game day. So when I am going to cook something that I've never done before I like to do a "dry run" so that I have a bit of experience with it and can make some mental notes on where any landmines in the prep or cooking might be.

I admire you for doing all the cooking. Last Thanksgiving, I cooked everything for 7 plus two grandkids.

I was in the kitchen for 12 hours from early prep to last dish cleaned and put away. No one offered a hand except my 91 year old mother. And she's blind!

I won't do it again.

I HEAR you! I will start real preparation on Tuesday. That is when I'll make the beef stock. On Wednesday ALL other prep work will be done, including the desserts. I'll be doing flan, creme brule, Mexican rice pudding, and peanut butter cookies. Those are all very easy and should rest in the fridge overnight anyway. I'll also prepare the bread dough for resting in the fridge the night before. That will go in the oven first thing.

I don't cook, but for as long as I can remember I have always offered to do the dishes. At home my wife cooks and I clean. When we started dating, I think I made the men in her family look bad bc I started cleaning as soon as we finished eating. I think I am my mother in law's favorite :):

That is a great deal. I cook, and everyone else can clean up and put away.

There can be anywhere from 25-33 people..all family at my parents for holiday dinners. Mom and dad tend to organize it all. Thankfully we all bring a dish or two, but there is always WAY too much food. Dad fries a turkey, grandma roasts a bird, my uncle smokes a few breasts and a pork loin and my brother smokes a breast or two. I'm not ready for the upcoming holiday season. I want summer back[/Quote]

That is a lot to cook for. I couldn't do that many unless I bought several more countertop ovens. I bought one a few years ago and it is a lifesaver. A good sized Black & Decker ( https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-TO3290XSD-Convection-Countertop/dp/B00WQZHQGS/ref=asc_df_B00WQZHQGS/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413735453398&psc=1 )

This thing works great for those couple times a year I need extra space, or perhaps several things baking at different temperatures.

Anyone who has ever taking mom or grandma's cooking Thanksgiving dinner for granted needs to do it themselves just once! They will learn how to truly appreciate good cooks.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I won't do it again.

The first year my girls moved out, they wanted me to make Thanksgiving dinner. They came over, ate, and left. The next day, they texted me to say thank you. I told them, I hoped they enjoyed it because it was the last dinner I would make. They asked why, and I told them if I was cooking, they were cleaning - rules hadn't changed just because they moved out. Now, they make sure that everything is cleaned before they leave.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I really like the extra setting for those who have passed. We do this when we have the family over on Christmas but we have crafted bottles with the names of those departed. The daughter and spouse make them. They put lights in the bottles and we place them around the room. There are a lot of bottles.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I won't do it again.

I would not either.

When we host a Holiday event all the folks pitch in. Never have to ask. It is just the way of things.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would not either.

When we host a Holiday event all the folks pitch in. Never have to ask. It is just the way of things.

When my wife and I go to dinners like this, we jump right in with both the cooking and definitely the cleaning up. And when it's just my wife and I we split the duties with me doing a little more of the cooking and her doing a little more of the cleaning up. It has worked well for the past 37 years or so.:)

On a good note, a contractor wanted $550 to put a roof jack for a bath fan on my roof. I installed it myself for less than $45 in materials. My wife told me to go buy a gun! I'll cook and clean up the next meal!:rockwoot:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I like a thick(er) top crust, slices easier and holds together better plus you won't have juices bubbling through the top and ruining your presentation. Looks good sir, keep us posted!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When my wife and I go to dinners like this, we jump right in with both the cooking and definitely the cleaning up. And when it's just my wife and I we split the duties with me doing a little more of the cooking and her doing a little more of the cleaning up. It has worked well for the past 37 years or so.:)

On a good note, a contractor wanted $550 to put a roof jack for a bath fan on my roof. I installed it myself for less than $45 in materials. My wife told me to go buy a gun! I'll cook and clean up the next meal!:rockwoot:

She is a keeper.

The spouse runs the kitchen and she makes no bones about it. When she is prepping a meal I stay well clear just as she does when I am doing a project around the house.
    I will clear ff the table/rinse the dishes and put the trash in the can and take it out etc but that is her room.
    Big meals and gatherings I will pitch in as required.
    This has worked for 38 years.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    When we host big meals (for the kids' birthday parties, usually) it's either two big crocks of soup or a taco bar.

Some of y'all work yourselves too hard. :D

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All shopping completed yesterday except for fava beans. I need to run to the local Middle Eastern grocery to pick up some there along with cinnamon sticks.

Just made the peanut butter cookie dough that will chill for 3+ hours.

I have a few things to do today that should be too terribly bad.

#1) Brief shopping trip
    #2) Make rice pudding
    #3) Make Flan
    #4) Make Creme Brulle
    #5) Make peanut butter cookies
    #6) Make candied pecans (Thanks again BBI)
    #7) Make dough for black bread, then refridgerate overnight. This will be first thing in oven tomorrow so the whole place will smell good.
    #8) Prep and organize all ingredients for tomorrow. I may(?) be able to prep the dish for au gratin potatoes so that all I have to do tomorrow is put it in the oven. Yay!
    #9) Set the tables for service tomorrow.

I should have three (3) packages arrive from Amazon today that will complete my requirements for a good setup. They better get here.

Thanksgiving has become a love/hate relationship for me. I love doing it for family and friends (although aren't really good friends family we have chosen?), but I hate the work and stress that goes into it.

Ce la vi. We only live once and should eat, drink and be merry.

Good luck and God speed to all on here that are in the same boat. We shall suffer and rejoice together.

Regards,

Doug

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Let's see: Leave work a little early today.

Thursday: start reno work around 8, work til 2:30. Pick up mom, take her to dinner at Farm Bloomington. She wants to eat there and they do a good Thanksgiving seating. (I don't really ever do holiday meals at commercial establishments, but with my home torn up, mom can't come over and she wants to do something, so this works)

Then Friday-Sunday, 3 glorious days of renovation. I have enough materials on hand that I should not have to leave the house until I go to work on Monday!:rockwoot:

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Top Bottom