• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I got a notification on the Uconnect touch screen in my Ram about 3 weeks ago asking to schedule a software update within 24 hours. I did that, then the next day I had a message in the cluster display that said “Locked Radio” and no features of the Uconnect system would work, including the radio. Maddening.

I called the dealer and they said Chrysler effed up the update software and would fix it at no charge at the dealership. The tech did say that I could try removing the radio fuse for 20 minutes and that may solve the problem. He was right, it worked.

Now just today, the whole problem has returned and the remove the fuse trick does not work. It’s absolutely infuriating. I called the dealer and they scheduled me for 10 days from now because that’s the earliest spot they had. I can’t even begin to describe how irritating this is.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, makes you wonder why they cost $50,000+ huh? I need a new truck and refuse to pay what they want...will keep fixing my rust bucket. Sure wish someone would make just a good old, cheap, easy to maintain work truck again.

Good luck on your issues with the Dodge.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is absolutely no reason that a vehicle requires a computer in it. Vehicles worked just fine without them for nearly a century. It's a money-making scam perpetrated by the auto industry and the eco-warriors. I can understand your anger VUPD!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, makes you wonder why they cost $50,000+ huh? I need a new truck and refuse to pay what they want...will keep fixing my rust bucket. Sure wish someone would make just a good old, cheap, easy to maintain work truck again.

Good luck on your issues with the Dodge.
    Right?? Most new trucks cost more than my first house!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Dang, I've never heard of anyone having any issues with a Fiat Chrysler product. :):

Sorry to hear about your problems. Best advice I could give is to trade that heap in on a proper F150 or Tundra. You'll lose your ass, but you're going to anyway once the warranty is up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dang, I've never heard of anyone having any issues with a Fiat Chrysler product. :):

Sorry to hear about your problems. Best advice I could give is to trade that heap in on a proper F150 or Tundra. You'll lose your ass, but you're going to anyway once the warranty is up.

I still like my 97 Dodge (not Fiat) Ram. It's god-awful ugly and a total rustbucket now, but boy it was purdy when I bought it in 97 as a "dealer demo".

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

mine is a ‘16 that I bought earlier this year. Still has 14 months or about 20k left on the factory warranty. I am a Ram fan, and have been for a very long time. The first vehicle I learned to drive on was about a 1975 Ram. I basically stole the one I have from the dealer, as I have no idea why they accepted my low-ball offer, but it’s exactly what I wanted.

I just hate that some stupid ass software update has rendered useless every last one of the creature comforts in the truck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is absolutely no reason that a vehicle requires a computer in it. Vehicles worked just fine without them for nearly a century. It's a money-making scam perpetrated by the auto industry and the eco-warriors. I can understand your anger VUPD!

Just to clear the air.
    The trucks and era we all miss was indeed fun times. But now, the CAFE standards being put on the industry and the idiotic fuel "Blends we are being assailed with do require a computer to make the damn things run. And run they do....(most times) to the tune of 200,000 plus miles if you maintain them. And the mileage aint bad by comparison.
    305 HP from a V-6 Chevy....really. Would not happen except for the electronics involved.

And I agree....50K is insane money.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    mine is a ‘16 that I bought earlier this year. Still has 14 months or about 20k left on the factory warranty. I am a Ram fan, and have been for a very long time. The first vehicle I learned to drive on was about a 1975 Ram. I basically stole the one I have from the dealer, as I have no idea why they accepted my low-ball offer, but it’s exactly what I wanted.

I just hate that some stupid ass software update has rendered useless every last one of the creature comforts in the truck.

See post #3.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just to clear the air.
    The trucks and era we all miss was indeed fun times. But now, the CAFE standards being put on the industry and the idiotic fuel "Blends we are being assailed with do require a computer to make the damn things run. And run they do....(most times) to the tune of 200,000 plus miles if you maintain them. And the mileage aint bad by comparison.
    305 HP from a V-6 Chevy....really. Would not happen except for the electronics involved.

Yeah I know you're right... but I miss the days when you could just damn near climb down inside the engine compartment and walk around the engine to service it. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah I know you're right... but I miss the days when you could just damn near climb down inside the engine compartment and walk around the engine to service it. :):

I still can on my 5.3 Chevy. Pretty well sorted engine bay actually. But some of these things are full of crap and plastic covers etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I still can on my 5.3 Chevy. Pretty well sorted engine bay actually. But some of these things are full of crap and plastic covers etc.

My 97 Dodge truck isn't horrible, but I still have to do weird things for basic maintenance. Like removing the air cleaner housing from the carburetor (or throttle body fuel injector - I've lost track) to replace the filter. And the rear sparkplugs are a bear to get to.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    giphy.gif

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I ran into the same thing with a recall. Something about the airbags, and FCA was constantly calling and sending mail about how important it was. I schedule with the local dealer and they said the soonest they could get me in was five weeks out. Finally get it in and it took 20 MINUTES FOR THEM TO FIX IT!!! Unreal.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    ****Update***

I set the truck to run the update three times, 20 minutes apart. I just came inside from checking it and it works! I have no idea what the update did, but it’s functional again. Apparently all I needed to do was complain about it on INGO.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Just to clear the air.

Back in 72 if somebody told me that you could make a car with 425 HP that still got 27 mpg and out 302 CI I would have wondered what they were drinking. Tech has both helped and hindered.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Which car company now makes the most reliable software/hardware package?

As a used vehicle buyer, would vehicle specific forums point to the most reliable models and years?

Top Bottom