Trucks Blocking Lanes At Construction Merges, Is This Legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is get beyond crazy that trucks are blocking lanes keeping the traffic from being able to zipper merge. Recently saw a miles long backup made several miles longer because about every half mile two trucks abreast blocked the road in some kind of vigilante traffic control. Sometimes they cannot find a partner to block with and they try to block the middle of the road. Surely a truck stopped with a half mile of clear roadway in front of them is creating an unsafe situation and by talking it upon themselves to control traffic, maybe committing reckless driving or some other violation.

Studies have shown that this blocking technique actually gets fewer cars per hour through the merge than if they just let traffic flow naturally.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    At this point in INGO history, I think this topic alone is riskier than politics or religion.

G'luck. :)

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've had it happen right in front of me several times.

Seems like a jerk move, but I might feel differently if I was OTR trucker.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    quote-there-is-more-to-life-than-increasing-its-speed-mahatma-gandhi-10-59-20.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    It prevents d-bags from running at high speed right up to the lane closure then jumping line in front of everybody else who has waited, causing people who are moving to jump on their brakes and generally making the situation unsafe.

...because people are self-interested and let's be honest, do that all the freaking time.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If by preventing people from zipper merging you mean preventing people from zipping down the lane that's closed ahead and forcing their way into the open lane; yes, yes they are preventing that (and I applaud them for it)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It prevents d-bags from running at high speed right up to the lane closure then jumping line in front of everybody else who has waited, causing people who are moving to jump on their brakes and generally making the situation unsafe.

...because people are self-interested and let's be honest, do that all the freaking time.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If by preventing people from zipper merging you mean preventing people from zipping down the lane that's closed ahead and forcing their way into the open lane; yes, yes they are preventing that (and I applaud them for it)

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    ...which wouldn't be a problem if people learned to stay in both lanes, filling them, until the merge.

This right here.

Study after study proves that merging at the point where the two lanes become one is by far faster. But that doesn't take into consideration the human factor of having to be first and not letting the person next to you merge in because they have a Trump, Clinton, G****, (insert whatever else you don't like) sticker.

But as to the OP, it's not legal. It is impeding traffic and it can get the driver a ticket..

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    ...which wouldn't be a problem if people [STRIKE]learned to stay in both lanes, filling them, until the merge[/STRIKE] [learned to merge while there were still interstices available to do so smoothly rather than wait until the very end and expect the people playing by the rules to make way for them] .

*.*

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

If they didn't merge a mile early then they wouldn't be a free line to run at high speed...

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’ve seen all kinds of douche-baggery coming into Indiana from Ohio on I-70 where the construction is just east of Richmond. Truckers blocking lanes, drivers refusing to cooperate, the whole 9 yards. It’s infuriating. Lots of dumbasses no matter how many wheels are under them.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If they didn't merge a mile early then they wouldn't be a free line to run at high speed...

Would you also advise people not to repent early, but run at high speed down the sin lane and save repentance for when it's really necessary?

Why not? Show your work

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Studies have shown that this blocking technique actually gets fewer cars per hour through the merge than if they just let traffic flow naturally.

What the study does not show/tell is that it is a controlled study where ALL people are co-operating to merge. Any study/test can be manipulated if it is
    controlled. This does not work in real life circumstances.

This wouldn't be a problem if traffic merged over when notified to, traffic would smoothly flow, albeit slightly slower, but still flow. The problem is
    that those drivers who think they are more privileged and important than everyone else and run up to the absolutely last 20 feet to merge over creating
    that backup.

On more than one occasion during the severe road construction south and north of Lafayette on I65 when lanes had to merge to one, there was a state trooper
    motioning people off to the right and issuing tickets for disregarding lane end/merge signs, on more than one occasion I challenged a passenger vehicle to play that
    chicken game with me. Dash cam sitting there for my protection.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom