• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have tried. Some things good for it. Salmon was weird though since It was done but color strange

can do that for steaks then seer quickly

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have tried. Some things good for it. Salmon was weird though since It was done but color strange

can do that for steaks then seer quickly
    Any tips on cooking or equipment? I had heard the steak thing and that this was becoming popular for restaurants. Chicken is another staple food at our house.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    A lot of people just get a like a handheld unit that clips onto a bucket or bowl. We have a self contained machine but don’t use it much

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wouldn't spend a lot of money on high dollar equipment. I got a $42 lightening deal last year that worked just fine without WIFI or bluetooth reporting to my device. :rolleyes:

I used the unit with the pot and or cooler that was already on hand.

It was great until I got the Instant Pot. Haven't used the sous vide unit since...;)

I'm hoping for the Mealthy CrispLid to be on some Black Friday sales this year. Looks like it might make for a convenient way to sear stuff cooked with sous vide or instant pot?

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For my last cooking class I did a presentation on sous vide. It was great! The first time I had any experience with it.

I brought in three (3) New York strips. One (1) was cooked with a commercial sous vide machine sealed with a commercial vacuum seal. The second was cooked with a home style sous vide machine where I squeezed the air out of a zip lock bag like some folks might do at home. The third was cooked by a professional chef, our instructor, on a grill. We sliced each and taste tested.

What amazed me was the difference in quality between the home cooked sous vide and the commercial machine. It WAS noticeable! Now, I don't know whether it was due to the $1,500 sous vide machine or the vacuum sealer, those are two (2) variables that would need to be isolated, but the difference was real.

That said, it was a significant improvement of the home quality sous vide machine for about $150 over the grilled steak. The tenderness and moisture were very much improved. All were cooked to medium.

Don't forget that when cooking steak you still have to sear it for colour. You crank that sucker up hot! Use grapeseed oil or some other high temp smoke point oil and throw the steak on for just a few seconds on each side to colour it properly. You don't want to cook it as the sous vide has done that, just colour it.

Here is a quick video on it: <span style="font-family: arial"><font size="3"><font color="#000000">[video=youtube_share;EPjlTPRRIYE]https://youtu.be/EPjlTPRRIYE[/video]

You may note at the end he may have seared it too much as you can see how deep the damage goes into the meat when it is sliced. It is a great way to cook if you have the time.

For my experiment I seasoned each steak simply with butter, salt & pepper. That was it.

Regards,

Doug

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    Sous vide is the truth, but the equipment makes all the difference. Quality is all about consistency. Spend the money. Don't look back.

We spent north of 2 million on our machine, definitely spring for the commercial unit.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I had a steak prepped Sous Vide and finished on a grill a few weeks back. I love steak and have dined at different level restaurants and ordered a variety of steaks in my lifetime. That steak was the best steak I have ever had ... period.

It was a non-commercial, home unit purchased off amazon and the container was a modified Coleman cooler. I would recommend the vacuum sealer, btw.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My FIL has been big into sous vide cooking lately and has one of the machines with all the bells and whistles. My wife and I have had pork, corned beef and eggs prepared with it and the corned beef was by far the best of the three. I wasn't overly impressed. In my opinion, if you start with a good steak from a properly raised cow then you don't have to do silly things like sous vide or eating it half raw for it to be good.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is the perfect comparison of traditional v/s sous vide.

MCAH_SV_Venison_VQ6B0400.jpg

No matter how the traditional is done you have a large chunk of "damaged" meat at the exterior. Both of these were cooked to the exact same interior temp, but the grill or skillet dries out and destroys a certain amount of the meat. This is what we are used to, it is to be expected. However, the sous vide method does not do this. The sous vide heats to the correct temp without damaging the meat. It still needs to be coloured by flash grilling or searing in a skillet, but this is only to add the normally expected visual appearance.

I love a grilled steak as much as anyone but after comparing grilled v/s sous vide the extra time and effort, minimal as it can be, is VERY well worth it. I don't know how well it would improve, if any, on other products but for a New York strip it was awesome!

Regards,

Doug

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

It still needs to be coloured by flash grilling or searing in a skillet, but this is only to add the normally expected visual appearance.

Regards,

Doug

I'll have to disagree with this part, the searing process introduces flavors via the Maillard reaction not just adding color for visual appeal. Where sous vide does it's magic is that it allows for the maximum amount of meat to hit the proper temperature with the minimal amount of over cooked meat between it and the outer layer of seared (flavor generating Maillard) exterior. The thicker the piece the greater the benefit generally speaking. You can get a similar effect using a "reverse sear" method.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'll have to disagree with this part, the searing process introduces flavors via the Maillard reaction not just adding color for visual appeal. Where sous vide does it's magic is that it allows for the maximum amount of meat to hit the proper temperature with the minimal amount of over cooked meat between it and the outer layer of seared (flavor generating Maillard) exterior. The thicker the piece the greater the benefit generally speaking. You can get a similar effect using a "reverse sear" method.

Spot on. :yesway:

Top Bottom